Zuiderdam cabin decision - need help

crusingici

HI all,

I have been studying all the helpful descriptions of various cabins on Zuiderdam. From what I've read I've decided that unless there is not much price difference I will try to book a non-suite room with a balcony (verandah) - for 2006 Alaska -- the local TA here was out of books so I do not have pricing yet.

I have several questions that hopefully some of you familiar with this ship can help answer:

1-Can folks see down onto the "A" aft balconies (the ones straight across the back of the ship) - appears these are not private at all from folks on decks above?

2-The "B" rooms seem to have larger balconies than the "A" rooms - unless my info was wrong that I'd gotten from a website. Does anyone know for sure?

3- If we decide on a "B" room (and why would one not want one if they do not want to pay for a suite but do want a balcony?) is there any reason to try to be near the back or front or middle -- other than the middle seems to be best for those prone to seasickness?

4-Do the life boats obstrct views on levels above them or just on same level?

5- In looking at decks it seems the Verandah deck would be a good choice -- right or wrong? and for round trip Vancouver someone suggested the starboard side to have the better coastline view the first part of the trip?

I hope someone can help - I am not working with a TA and trying to do this all on my own -- never cruised before so am relying heavily on your experiences.

When pricing is available to me I can better make a decision and know what to ask for when I call in.

Thank you!

Gici

... I hope someone can help - I am not working with a TA and trying to do this all on my own -- never cruised before so am relying heavily on your experiences.

Thank you!

Gici

As you are a new cruiser the best advice I can give you is to get a TA, preferably someone local you can sit down with, who is experienced, can ask you the right questions to better learn what you will like and not like, and then guide you. Then, of course, feel free to ask questions here, but for a total novice to 'go it alone' is foolish and a recipe for disaster. You will get a variety of opinions here, some good some bad, but no one answering will really know your situation when they answer you.

It doesn't cost you anything to have a TA and if you pay slightly more than you might online you have gotten the benefit of experience and knowledge for your first cruise at least. See if there is a 'cruise only' TA available to you locally.

Thanks, Peaches. I will eventually use a TA from our travel group - but I wanted to have most of my ducks in a row before I call in -- there isn't a cruise only TA here locally - just a small agency that was out of the 2006 books and told me to call in a week to see if they had come in yet. I always do all of our own vacation planning but just am a novice at cruising and know I will eventually use a TA.

I still would like to hear others' opinions of the questions I have asked....if anyone has been on this particular ship and knows first hand.

Thanks!

Gici

I didn't know you were going in a group. Has the group decided on the Zuiderdam already for sure and if so, why? The Volendam is also going 7 day rt Vancouver if that is what you were interested in and many people much prefer the smaller HAL ships like the Volendam.

Can't answer all the questions, but you are correct that the aft balconies do have a loss of privacy other than on the Navigation Deck and that midship cabins are more stable in rough weather than the front and back locations.

Good luck, :)

The aft balconies can be seen fron the aft pool deck, but the trade off is that the balconies are really big. The only balconies to avoid are the VF on the upper promenade deck because they have solid steel railings. Last trip we did a guarantee and had 4161 on that deck. Our balcony was 1-2 feet wider than those on the higher decks and even with a very rough storm we had minimal motion problems and no noise problems.

Hope that helps !!!

Oh thank you both for the details on the cabins -- that is exactly the info I needed.

And no, we are not traveling with a group - just the 2 of us - but with my husband's work we are members of a travel club -- we can use earned points toward a vacation and we've decided to "pay" for part of this cruise with his points -- there are TA associated with it so I will indeed have to use the TA for booking since I intend to use some points plus cash. Hope that makes that about as clear as mud!

Anyway, I feel better understanding as much as possible before just agreeing with some stranger about what cabin to book and such.

As far as deciding on the Zu vs Von for the RT Vancouver sailing for 2006 -- I just made that decision based on reviews of the 2 ships.

So...............maybe I need to rethink, huh?!!

Also - I will be doing price comparisons to decide what ship and what dates to book.

Thanks a lot for those of you offering tips and advice - it helps us newbies a TON!

_Gici

Oh - and one more reason I thought I wanted the Zuiderdam was that I had read it has a lot more balcony rooms and we definitely want a balcony - not necessarily a suite - depending on price - but definitely a balcony for the Alaska cruise.

Thanks!

-Gici

We have been on the Zuiderdam in an Aft Balcony and have been to Alaska on NCL Sun in an aft balcony.

First, let me say that an aft balcony for Alaska is absolutely the best choice. First of all you get a 180 degree panoramic view and you don't have to worry about which side of the ship is best or that you will miss something. Secondly, the ship blocks all the wind. On our cruise, most people spent their time on the top deck wearing jackets. I stayed on my aft balcony in either a bathing suit or shorts. Thirdly, it is common for whales to follow the ship which happened to us for two days. Aft balcony is absolutely the best view for whale watching.

An Alaska cruise is totally different from a Caribbean cruise. You spend all your time looking at the unbelievable wonders of nature - mountains, forests, animals (must bring good binoculars) and glaciers. If you don't enjoy this, don't go to Alaska.

Now for the Zuiderdam, the aft balconies are about 5X larger than side balcony cabins and even larger than S or SS Suites. They are mostly uncovered which actually adds to the spectacular views. Don't worry about people above looking at you. They will be very jealous.

There is absolutley no better choice than an aft balcony for your cruise, except may a corner aft S suite which probaly costs about 3X what an aft balcony will cost. I am very surprised there are any aft balconies available. I usually have problems getting one unless I book AT LEAST one year or more ahead.

I am very surprised there are any aft balconies available. I usually have problems getting one unless I book AT LEAST one year or more ahead.

Thanks so much for your reply - wonderful information! I am looking at 2006 - so hopefully there ARE afts available -

-Gici

Archived