Birth Certificate Question

pappy3393

My wife has a raised seal birth certificate and not a passport for entry to/from Canada (Vancouver). Obviously, the birth certificate has her maiden name and not her married name. All of her other identification (drivers license, etc.) has her married name. How does the border patrol/customs know that this is one in the same person? I've been told that a passport or original birth certificate are the only 2 forms of identification that are acceptable.

>>I've been told that a passport or original birth certificate are the only 2 forms of identification that are acceptable.<<

That's true, but as is the case when you apply for a passport, the name on the birth certificate must be tied to the current identification by a marriage license, adoption papers or some such document.

Murray

If you travel internationally on a regular basis, you really should get a passport. There's been a lot of press lately about a change in the ID requirements. I think it starts in 2006, but all US citizens traveling to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean will need a passport. The birth certificate and driver's license will no longer be acceptable. There are postings about this on the boards, plus you can read about it on newspaper's websites. There was a very informative article in the Los Angeles Times travel section last sunday (05/15). If you have the time, get the passport. You will need it in the future.

An expired passport is not acceptable. In fact, if it expires within 6 months of your travel, you will need to get a new one.

That's not a Canadian regulation, but it may be your cruise line's. I've crossed the border many, many times on a passport that expired 15 years ago. The only comments I've ever gotten from Customs people have been "wow, I've never seen a passport that old!".

Murray

This was my experience. Of course this was before 9/112 but if you do not have a passport, bring your birth certificate(raised seal), drivers license, and marriage certificate. They checked by birth certificate and drivers license. Did not bother with the marriage license. Of course this was before 9/11 so just bring all three of it. Does not take any extra room. I think though from now on get a passport.

Marilyn

That's not a Canadian regulation, but it may be your cruise line's.

The last I knew, an expired passport was acceptable for travel by U.S. citizens to/from any country where only proof of citizenship is required. In fact, I believe it is considered "superior" to a birth certificate and photo ID. Unfortunately, it appears someone at Princess doesn't understand that and has issued rules saying an expired passport is not "proof of citizenship" to Princess even though it is to both U.S. and Canadian border officials.

An expired passport is NOT acceptable for reentry in the U.S. The cruise ships don't want to get stuck with you after you are denied entry, and that's why they require you have a current passport or d/l and birth certificate.

An expired passport is NOT acceptable for reentry in the U.S. The cruise ships don't want to get stuck with you after you are denied entry, and that's why they require you have a current passport or d/l and birth certificate.

Sorry hotmike, but staight from the horses's mouth at <http://cbp.gov/> (click on Travel, then on "Documentary Requirements for Entry to the United States"):

Travel from within the Western Hemisphere: U.S. Citizens - Are exempt from passport requirements. However, it is highly recommended that a U.S. Citizen be prepared to present documentation such as a valid or EXPIRED U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or Naturalization certificate to avoid delays.

I think that makes it clear that the U.S. government considers an expired passport adequate proof of citizenship when travelling to/from Canada. Why Princess does not we can only guess.

Currently you only need a driver's license and raised seal birth certificate to get in and out of Canada, however, married women also need raised seal marriage license because of last name change. With all the changes since 9/11 getting a passport is a good idea.

Over the next year or two, a valid passport or "other secure, accepted document" (these are like the new border control ID cards and NOT birth certificate or driver's licenses) will be required even for travel in the Western Hemisphere (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html). Very soon, a valid U. S. passport will be required to go anywhere outside of the country, including the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada! I'm guessing the cruise lines will no longer allow you to embark (even if you don't plan to disembark at a foreign port of call) as you generally clear immigration/customs on boarding.

Regardless, in today's strict border-control climate, why would anyone mess around with expired passports, state driver's licenses, birth certificates and/or marriage licenses--even this summer? For less than $100, don't take any chances with constantly changing (and tightening) regulations and the possible whims of US and other nation's immigration/border agents. Get your passport!

The immigrate folks working for the US can have bad tempers...and they sometimes will give you hard time if you don't have a valid passport...even though legally you don't need one. Why bother with the hassle? Just get a passport for $67...it's good for 10 years and you'll probably need it sooner or later.

I wish I had time to get the passport now. Our cruise is 6/24/05, and I read it could take 6 weeks. I checked out the services that expedite the passport processing, but WHEWWWW..hefty fees!!! We don't travel much, and have never been out of the country (first time into Canada). Does it really take 6 weeks to process if one was to go the "normal" route to obtain passport?? I had to hunt hard and deep to find my marriage license!

I emailed this question about expired passports to the National Passport Information Center . Here is their response:

CANADA ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: When entering from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a U.S. passport or proof of U.S. citizenship such as a certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport and photo ID.

If you have further questions, please email us at NPIC@state.gov. Please include all prior messages or correspondence in your reply so that we may know what has taken place previously. If you prefer, you can call us at (877)487-2778. Our contact center is open Monday through Friday 8:00AM-8:00PM EST.

Thank you, National Passport Information Center 002

New travel document requirements will mean a valid passport (not expired) will be required for travel. The proposed implementation for these changes are 12/31/2005 for travel to/fromCaribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America and 12/31/2006 for travel to/from Canada and Mexico (see http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html ).

So Murray it looks like in about one and half years you will need to trade in the expired passport of yours.

Istone19: did you see the part that says "to avoid delays"? Do you want to spend three hours (or even 30 minutes) of your vacation waiting for someone's supervisor to decide it will be alright to let you into your own country? And the first part of my post notes that the cruise line may not let you board with an expired passport. It's their ship, and I believe the conditions of embarkation are either d/l with raised imprint on a birth certificate or a passport that will not expire within 6 months of embarkation. Please don't lead people to believe this requirement will be waived and set someone up for the heartache and expense of being barred from the ship.

Here is what NCL has on their site:

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement.htm#a

U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises returning to the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

• Valid or recently expired passport (preferred)
  • Original or state certified copy of a birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Report of a Birth Abroad

PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following (applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older):

• Valid driver's license that includes a photograph
  • Government identification card that includes a photograph and physical description

I am sure that the other cruise lines have similar content on their own sites...

JR

Royal Caribbean also has a similar statement. See

Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizens: A passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your check-in formalities as well as your departure procedures with government officials (if you would like to find out how to obtain a passport, you can do so at U.S Department of State Passport Services and Information website). In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. Visas are not required for U.S. citizens.

Last year I took my birth certificate (with my maiden name) and my driver's license with my married name. I had no problem. There was no need for a marriage license. This year I had a passport and of course had no problems at all. I also didn't need my marriage license to get the passport.

Just be advise that their are way too many idiots in authority to DENY passage. Especially airlines and cruiseships. The Security and Lack of Safety boards at http://www.flyertalk.com talk often about how the FEDS at the airport will not honor an expired Drivers License for ID. Come on, did you become a different person just because the four year period was up?

Oh how silly we are.

Passport is best (not to expire within 6 months).

Birth Cert with raised seal (does not matter who raised the seal - think about it).

If your name changed, have something to go along with it. Rarely asked, but a good idea. The fact that it is rarely asked should point out how foolish this whole thing is. The paper checkers just want to see something. I really believe if you printed it up on your home computer and somehow made some kind of wrinkle to look like a raised seal, all would be fine.

Oh how silly we are.

Archived