Carnival Freedom Review- 09/02-09/08- 1st Cruise!

BrianasMom

I have stalked this board for months while passing the time until our cruise. I read every review on the Freedom I could, so I will try to return the favor with my own little review.

Background- this was our first cruise ever, it was myself and my 2 daughters, ages 11 and 4. We booked this cruise because of the Key West port. We live in Tampa and usually travel to Key West once a year so I thought we'd try the cruise route and get Key West in as well.

I booked ES in February and hit a couple price drops before final payment and even a couple after final payment so I ended up with around $100 OBC. I booked a balcony room (#7348) on the 7th floor due to the fact that there were cabins above and below us.

I decided to book a hotel the day before because I didn't want to get up early the day we left and drive 4 hours. I had a Best Western gift card, so I stuck with them. I initially booked the Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port, called a couple days before and made the reservation by phone. So we make the drive, arrive at the hotel, and are told that the person booked us for the wrong day. They were overbooked and had no rooms available. The guy at the front desk called around and found a room at the Best Western Plus Oakland Park Inn, so off we went.

The hotel was nothing fancy or frilly, but it did the job. The manager gave us a pool view room on the 3rd floor. They do have a continental breakfast which was nice and free wi-fi. It was clean and served its purpose.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/FL/Fort-Lauderdale-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Oakland-Park-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=10333&disablenav=false

We got up early, grabbed some breakfast and headed off toward the port. I had made a reservation with Park N Go online before we left home. (It's cheaper to book online than pay the day of) We arrived at their lot at 10:00, parked and took the shuttle over to the port. I kept my keys with me the whole time, so I felt safe using them.

Ready to go! (I loved my daughter's shirt since it says Freedom, so I thought it was only fitting to wear it on board!)

IMG_7082.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

We arrived at the port and my girls were over the moon excited! We see the "whale tail" at the Port of Tampa all the time, but for some reason it's so much more exciting to see the ship you're about to board!

We were there pretty early, so getting through security was easy. We only traveled with our birth certificates and didn't have a problem. I funded my Sail and Sign card with cash at the counter and were handed our Zone card- Zone 2!

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7108.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

Once we were officially on board we headed to the Lido deck to grab some lunch , explore the ship, and wait for our room to be ready. We grabbed a table right next to the window on the lido deck and had some burgers and chicken tenders. (Or if you're my 4 year old- ice cream!)

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7115.jpg

I don't think I heard a notification that our rooms were ready, but we were exploring the ship, so we may have missed it.

It's truly amazing to see the happiness in my daughters' eyes- they have been looking forward to this cruise for many months and their smiles made it all worth while!

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

Good Start. I look forward to hearing more. I'm torn between the Freedom and the Breeze for our next booking so I'm always happy to see a review. Did the girls go to camp carnival?

I was on the Freedom the cruise before the OP. It is nice to see the ship again :) But I would say go on the Breeze. We had a great cruise and I have nothing negative to say about it except I found the decor of the ship ugly and gaudy. But I cannot wait to go on the Breeze because I like the color scheme so much better.

If you choose the Freedom you will have a good cruise, but if you are like me then you will just have to book another cruise because you will still want to go on the Breeze. Then you can go on the Freedom after it gets upgraded some day.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time!

I was on the Freedom the cruise before the OP. It is nice to see the ship again :) But I would say go on the Breeze. We had a great cruise and I have nothing negative to say about it except I found the decor of the ship ugly and gaudy. But I cannot wait to go on the Breeze because I like the color scheme so much better.

If you choose the Freedom you will have a good cruise, but if you are like me then you will just have to book another cruise because you will still want to go on the Breeze. Then you can go on the Freedom after it gets upgraded some day.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time!

Hmmm! I hadn't thought about the fact that if I choose the Freedom I would still want to book the Breeze but you are probably right!

Your kids are sooo cute. And how lucky are they!? We went on vacations but they usually involved the back seat. Hope you guys had an awesome time. I've a feeling that you guys created memories that will last a lifetime and your girls will be better because of it. Good Mom! :)

Archived