Grand Cayman - Mobility Impaired - Disney

xrae

My dad and I will be visiting Grand Cayman on the Disney Magic. He uses a scooter or a rolling walker to get around. I understand because of the tenders he won't be able to take his scooter ashore.

He is able to walk with his cane or the walker and is ok with doing a couple stairs if there is something to lean on.

I'm wondering how many steps are required to get to/from the tender, and how steady it is on a smooth day.

I'm also wondering about accessible tours on the island. I know different companies have different types of vehicles/buses they use to get people around. Dad wouldn't be able to step up into a high school bus-type vehicle.

I'd love to find a simple island tour with a van/bus he could easily get into and would have room to take his walker along. We're not looking for a tour with extended beach time.

Do you all have any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm also wondering how accessible the Turtle Farm is, if there are a lot of steps / curbs or other barriers that might prevent him from being able to get around and see all the exhibits.

Thank you!

You should be able to elevator down to the tender access point on the ship. As far as boarding the tender, it's just going to depend on the weather. There will most likely be a couple of steps onto the tender, BUt there will definitley be crew there helping anyone that needs it. I've seen them carry a wheelchair bound passenger onboard for them. Just take your time and ask for a helping hand.

When you get off the tender, there will be plenty of tour guides and taxi drivers that will be willing to negotiate a price for a short or long island tour. Whatever you want. Just ask around and ask to see their vehicle before you pay them to make sure it's something your Dad can board. You'll be fine. It's a nice island with lots of friendly people.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how many steps are required to get to/from the tender, and how steady it is on a smooth day.

Their is a video on you tube of the process to tender from the ship to port. The video was only four and a half minutes so that not long from dock to ship. Good luck.

~Lesley

Archived