Help me ride the streetcars pre cruise in NOLA.

lemonade-sails

We are cruising out of NOLA in Jan 2013. Because we only live about an hour away we are driving in on the day of embarkation. I would love to get to town around 8am and spend a few hours riding the streetcar before checking in. I know that luggage is not allowed on the streetcar so we will need to either leave the bags in the car or drop them with porters before we get on. My problem is: Can I get on the streetcar from the port? Google maps shows fences that seem to prohibit access to the Julia St. station. I'm thinking I may need to park elsewhere, ride the streetcars, then return to our car and then drive to the port for cruise parking. Any recommendations advice is appreciated.

Also, are beverages (coffee) allowed on the streetcar? (Nevermind, Just read that they are not allowed)

I hope you can help me figure out the logistics of this - I'd really love for it to work out!

Thanks!

There is the River line that is near the port - it goes all the way to the French Market. You could also get off at Canal St, head a little north near Harrah's and then pick up the Red line. The Green line can be picked up at Carondelet St and will take you thru the Garden District

The $3.00 all day pass is a bargain - just keep in mind they only take exact change.

Thanks for the reply! I'm familiar with the streetcar route maps just wondering if you can actually reach the streetcar station from the port or if it's just easier to park at a public lot on the streetcar line and catch it there before even going to the port.

Right now it's looking like it will be easier just to park at a public parking lot along the route, leave the luggage in the car, ride the streetcars to do some sightseeing and then return to the car and head to the port. Of course this is all assuming that I can get DH up in time to make it to NOLA by 8am :).

I suggest dropping your luggage off first. You will have that out of the way. Last year we knew our ship was going to be really late, and we had to check out of our hotel, so we took the luggage to the terminal at about 9:00 am, and parked our car back at the hotel. We took the trolley to the mall and walked around and had a snack and then we rode the trolley all over New Orleans. We saw more doing this than I have ever seen of New Orleans. It was great. We did walk to the terminal from the trolley to see if we could board. We had to walk some back alleys and across come tracks, but it is possible. We rode the trolley back to the cars for our carry ons, but decided to take a cab since we were anxious to get on the ship. Have fun!!!! The trolley is a great way to see New Orleans.

The closest Riverfront streetcar stop is at Julie Street, about two blocks from the cruise terminal. At the north end of the terminal you will see a set of stairs going up to the Riverwalk. Follow the walkway next to Riverwalk to the mall entrance. Go straight across to the multiple doors. They lead to an escalator that will take you to the Julia Street stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my two cents. I would reserve parking at Fulton Street Garage use their shuttle to the port to drop off luggage. Depending on your ship the streetcar station will either be at your terminal (Royal Caribbean) or an easy two block walk (Carnival). Buy you day pass and enjoy the city and return to the terminal via the street car when ready to process and board. You want to use the streetcar stop before the Julia Street stop as Julia drops you behind the Convention Center with no cruise terminal access.

Archived