Costa or MSC from Savona/Genoa in February?

Sleep7

Hello!

I haven't read the best reviews of either Costa or MSC but they are the only two cruise lines that run year round 7 day cruises in the Mediterranean. We would like to go on that itinerary this February so those are our only two choices. We are a couple who just turned 50:eek: and we are bringing our 15 year old daughter. Thanks in advance for advice/experiences/expertise and opinions on which is a "better" line to take. We have previously cruised on RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and Azamara :). Thanks again for your help. I am going to post the same post on the MSC board.

I believe Costa nd MSC to be in the same category.

You don´t say, where you are from, so just to be sure. February is not a nice time to cruise the Med in regards of weather. It´s cool at best and chances are that the seas won´t be entirely smoth...

If you decide to go on Costa: If you can afford it, take a balcony cabin, even the smalest balcony is better that an inside or outside on the lower decks and travelling with your teenage daughter might be more comfortable with more space.

In February even a suite may be possible, check your budget.

Are you aware that Costa also offers cruises aboard Costa Pacifica with embarkation ports in Barcelona or Civitavecchia? Or are you set on starting in Northern Italy?

We like Costa and right now we are considering taking a Pacifica cruise in late February, so I´m interested in what you decide.

Hi Kasi!

Interesting that you are considering a similar cruise.:) I posted the same question on the MSC board and got a few helpful answers there that you might like to read. I know that February is not the best time to cruise in Europe but we would like to go on our daughter's President's week break which is in the middle of February. The cool weather does not bother me but if there is a good chance of rough seas it would. I did see that you can board this cruise in both Barcelona as well as Civitavechia but we only have a week to be away so boarding on that Saturday in Savona is best for us. If we go we plan to leave the cruise a day early and disembark in Civitavecchia and fly home that afternoon from Rome. There is a nonstop flight from FCO to JFK that is the easiest way for us to travel back to New York and I don't mind missing the last night of the cruise. On the other board most of the people seemed to say they like MSC a bit better than Costa. I'll let you know what we decide to do.:rolleyes:

Awful options. Worst cruise lines.

However, the best Costa ships Deliziosa/Luminosa are better than any of MSC ships.

But the Pacifica is an old Destiny class ship.

The Splendida is better than the Pacifica.

Is it possible to sail on NCL ship in February?

I only have one experience of Costa - and it was excellent -

No complaints what so ever...

Going off on Magica soon, but have Pacifica booked for Feb.

Having done one cold cruise this year on NeoR - (as I said we loved it) one thing we did look at when choosing a ship for Feb was whether or not it had a retractable roof on lido deck. I am not familiar with MSC at all, but thats something you might want to add into your choice.

On NeoR - that was one thing we did miss - not being able to use the upper decks as it was so cold.

Pacifica does have a retractable roof - so our thoughts were although of course it will be cold, at least we have use of the lido deck no matter the weather.

This forum represents a tiny minority of Costa cruisers - I'd take a lot of the negativity with a pinch of salt.

We had a fab time with them - but we are smokers - so a good choice for us. The food was amongst the best we have had - and we have cruised many lines - the staff were for sure excellent. I am gluten free, and it was the most GF friendly vacation I have ever had for sure.

Magica will be another test for us - will see how they operate on a bigger ship.

Pacifica - we are looking on it as a fun break in winter - celebrating another family birthday as we did on NeoR - but its gonna be a cold one -

Good luck on choosing!

Thanks for all your help Blondie! When you went during the winter were the seas rough? Did it rain? I know weather and storms are different every day/year but were you warned that Feb in the Med was particularly wet and windy? Did you find the people pushy? That seems like something a lot of the reviews said. We are not smokers.. is there smoking allowed all over the ship or only in designated areas?

It's sounds like you had a wonderful time.. how nice you are going again to repeat the pleasure!!!:)

Thanks for all your help Blondie! When you went during the winter were the seas rough? Did it rain? I know weather and storms are different every day/year but were you warned that Feb in the Med was particularly wet and windy? Did you find the people pushy? That seems like something a lot of the reviews said. We are not smokers.. is there smoking allowed all over the ship or only in designated areas?

It's sounds like you had a wonderful time.. how nice you are going again to repeat the pleasure!!!:)

the demographics are going to be very similar on both lines. it is not so my some pax are 'pushy' as they just don't have the same concept of waiting their turn. some will try to cut-the-line (a gently well-placed elbow takrs care of that). no getting around this as both of these lines cater to europeans.

on both my costa cruises, english speakers made up 10 - 15% of the total. it will likely be less the time of year you are going. again, since these are european lines i would expect the same. dining will be with people who speak your language. announcements will be in 4 - 6 languages (that bothers some people, not sure why).

food is very good, in my opinion, on costa. maybe too good. there is a nightly pasta/risotto/gnoochi course with dinner.

service has always been very good. i've sailed on carnival, hal, princess and costa multiple times. service is very similar on all of them.

if you have a choice for your dinner seating, take early. late is very late by US standards. like 8:45 - 9:15.

smoking is not allowed everywhere. there is a separate thread going. check that. MSC is much more restrictive. if you are one of those who bristles at the sight of someone smoking then choose msc. i won't sail msc becuase of their smoking policy.

We went a Baltics cruise, June 1st - just unlucky - cold front right through Northern Europe - and yes, rough seas - our crossing to Dover was cancelled. Again - would only do a larger ship in winter - small ships feel every bump - big ships must more stable.

I didnt find people any more or less pushy than on any cruise..

Smoking : we had a mixed party both smokers and non smokers were happy, not all lounges had smoking areas, and those that did, were to one side, well ventilated and less than a third of the space - no smoking actually AT any bar.

Will let you know how we get on with Magica - bigger ship -

OH and do MSC do the all inclusive? If not, then Costa wins hands down there.. the all inclusive package is amazing!!

I know the Med will be cold - could get calm though - and even bright skies - but it wont be sun tanning weather. I have been in Palma in Feb before in vest style t - shirts - who knows - but we are prepared for it to be a cold cruise. Any sunshine will be a bonus, hence, the retractable roof.

Keep us posted on your decision!:)

Thanks everyone for all your advice.. I just love the cruisecritic boards.. so full of friendly and helpful answers.

Now after much mulling it over I think we are going to "steer our vacation ship" in a different and warmer direction for that week in February. I think we are going to go on the Celebrity Summit from San Juan instead of the Med.

I am going to save my Med cruise for this fall and take a 7 day Azamara Cruise. We have taken Azamara twice in the past 2 years and it was such a wonderful experience that it's worth the wait.

Thanks again! You input was wonderful and appreciated.:)

Archived