Alternative options to travel from Olympia WA to Seattle RCL Pier

MsSailaway

Hi! Going on the RCL Rhaspody in June 2013. We were planning on driving to Olympia WA to stay with family then up to Seattle the next day. The family was going to drive us to the pier but just found out that their twins will be graduating from high school that day. We don't want them to have to drive us there on such a big day so we need some options. Parking would cost over $150. I thought that we could take the Amtrk but they don't allow checked baggage (that option would have only cost $26!).

Any suggestions? BTW, I am not comfortable driving to and parking in Seattle..small town girl here! :eek:

Hi! Going on the RCL Rhaspody in June 2013. We were planning on driving to Olympia WA to stay with family then up to Seattle the next day. The family was going to drive us to the pier but just found out that their twins will be graduating from high school that day. We don't want them to have to drive us there on such a big day so we need some options. Parking would cost over $150. I thought that we could take the Amtrk but they don't allow checked baggage (that option would have only cost $26!).

Any suggestions? BTW, I am not comfortable driving to and parking in Seattle..small town girl here! :eek:

How much luggage do you have and can you carry it all at one go? While Amtrak has a formal carry on limits, in practice, if you can deal with your bags without help, you can have them. Particularly at stations with no checked baggage service like Olympia/Lacey.

Talk to the relatives . The drive from Olympia Wa to Seattle Wa is about an hour . You might want them to drive you to Seattle the day before and stay in a hotel .

Depending on the time of the graduation they might be able to drive you up in the morning.

Each one of us will have 1 regular sized suitcase. It is a seven day cruise. I don't think I can pull off a 7 day with a rolling carry on. I wish, but...

That won't be a problem, if you can heft it onto the train yourself, you can take it. I take my full size rolling suitcase onboard Amtrak all the time.

It may even be legitimately within Amtrak's published carry-on limits, which are significantly larger than the airlines: 28"x22"x14" as opposed to Alaska Airline's 24"x17"x10", for example. Even if it is larger, they won't stop you. Amtrak doesn't have bins like the airlines. On the Cascades there is an overhead shelf as well as a big rack at one end of the car.

The only problem you might have if you each had multiple large pieces. But one suitcase each? No problem.

Archived