Why The Carnival Magic Is My Favorite Ship (With Pictures)

Spaniel Lover

Thank you for your great review on the Magic. I also enjoyed your personal web site, cruise information, pictures and cocker spaniels! Thanks for sharing the link!

We are going to Hawaii on the Splendor in January, I think we shall try the Magic next and it's just down the highway from us! We've stayed at the Harbor House and can highly recommend it!

Awesome review! As if I wasn't already really excited to board her in 76 days after booking a year ago..... I CAN'T WAIT! NICE pics! Ty also for the Cayman tender video... I pictured those as smaller tenders from what I had read before, so I'm happy about that too... C'mon January!

• 2 months later...

I also wanted to thank you for the review. I actually found your review on your blog after doing a Google search and linked it in our roll call thread! And then later found it again on Google linked to this forum which is why I'm posting.

It really gave me a good idea of what to expect on the ship. I'm sailing next week on the 17th, and can't wait. My first cruise was on Explorer of the Seas (RCCL) and my second was on Star Princess (Princess). I'm looking forward to seeing Carnivals product.

Edited by bamelin

I have some $$ I am willing to contribute if you will go on the Breeze when she gets to S.FL later this month and do a similar review??? :D

As a matter of fact, I'll be on the Carnival Breeze this Spring for back-to-back cruises out of Miami. So, I hope to come back with some good photos and videos and I will, of course, post them to Cruise Critic and to my web site.

I'm really looking forward to Guy Burgers and breakfast burritos... which I have not yet experienced on any of my Carnival Cruises.

Other cruise-related things on my bucket list are to do an Alaska cruise (Princess, with land tours in the Princess Wilderness Lodges) in 2014, a Panama Canal cruise (someday), and a cruise with Jaime Dee as Cruise Director (someday). I'm also quite interested to see what's coming up in the next generation of Carnival ships, starting in 2016.

I liked the interior design of the cabin, except I thought the pictures were hung too low!

Shouldn't they have been vertically centered in the empty wall space between the couch/bed and ceiling?

the pictures are hung perfectly!!! Pet peeve of mine. Pictures in a room should be hung to make you want to sit and relax so low for viewing. Pictures hung high are for viewing like in an Art museum or hall way where there are no chairs to sit in and give the feeling of standing or walking by. Love the level of the pictures in the room. Just thougt I would share.

Love, Love, Love this review!!!! brings back great memories as to why it is our favorite ship too. We also stayed in the spa balcony room 12001 all the way forward where you had a view toward the front of the ship with no partian to block your view. made the balcony feel bigger.

• 4 months later...

I adore this ship. I've done inaugurals on Dream, and Breeze--2nd sailing of Magic. Must warn everyone, however, that the orange "pillowy" seats up by the water park look comfy but are hard as stone. Be careful when you sit.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

There are a few tips I'd like to pass along to people new to cruising. The first is the easy way to prop open your balcony door. The cabin stewards keep a rubber door stopper next to the main cabin door, right under the closets. They use this to prop open the door while they're cleaning your cabin. As long as you're careful to always put it back where you found it before you leave your cabin, you can use this rubber door stopper to prop open your balcony door. Just wedge it in the door opening, above the hinge... and you can easily get on and off your balcony without all the normal door slamming. It's a great way to let a warm breeze in to your room.

CarnivalMagic-DoorStop.jpg

See the black rubber door stopper wedged in -- just above the hinge -- to prop open the balcony door?

Keep in mind that anytime you prop open the balcony door, your room air condition will automatically shut off. And I stress again that it's extremely important to put the rubber door stopper back where you found it before leaving the cabin... so that your room steward can use it to prop open your main cabin door while cleaning your cabin.

Speaking of the room stewards... if you've never cruised before, it will probably be helpful to understand their schedules. They will want to get in to your cabin to clean it up twice a day. One time will be in the evening while you go to dinner, and the other time will be in the morning... on sea days, while you're at breakfast... or on port days once you get off the ship. They're doing you a favor by keeping your cabin clean... you need to do them a favor by giving them the time they need to do this, and by letting them know when it's the right time. The easiest way to do this is by proper use of the Cruisin'/Snoozin' sign...

CarnivalMagic-CruisinSign.jpg

Hang the cruisin' sign on the handle of your cabin door when you leave the cabin for breakfast and dinner. Be sure to be gone long enough for them to see the sign and clean up your room! If you get back and the sign is still up, it means they were busy and didn't get to your cabin yet. If possible, go find something to do for a while so they can clean your cabin.

If you're going to be lounging around in your cabin without some or all of your clothes and absolutely don't want your cabin steward accidentally busting in on you... flip the sign over to the snoozin' side. This is basically the polite way of saying "do not disturb". There is no need to do this in the evenings after your cabin steward has already been in to clean up your room and turn down the bed... they won't be coming back after evening turn down, until the next morning... no earlier than 7 AM.

If they see that you're good about use of the cruisin' sign when you leave the cabin in the morning and in the evening, they will get in to a rhythm of cleaning your cabin while you're away for breakfast and dinner... and you'll find having a cabin steward is one of the finer things in life! If you're not good about use of the cruisin' and snoozin' signs, you'll end up having awkward encounters with the cabin stewards knocking on your door to see if you're there or not.

Another tip I'd like to offer is that you bring a small umbrella in your suitcase. You have no idea how many times this has come in handy for me! In places like the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, it's not at all uncommon to run in to a brief thundershower every now and then. It's especially common for thundershowers to crop up in the afternoons... so even if the weather looks good in the morning, take a small backpack with you on shore excursions and pack a little umbrella in there. It's great to be walking down the pier on the way back to the ship after a day on shore... with a nasty thundershower soaking all the other passengers... and you're the only guy with an umbrella!

August%2020%202012%20Gulf%20Of%20Mexico%20Satellite%20Picture.jpg

See that big line of thundershowers stretching across the Gulf Of Mexico?

We had hours and hours of rain when we sailed through that!

CarnivalMagic-Lightning.jpg

While we were sailing through that nasty weather shown in the satellite photo,

there was heavy rain, lightning, thunder... and not a soul out on Lido deck!

What an awesome photo!

• 2 weeks later...

I loved your review. Thanks for sharing. We are taking our second trip on the Magic. This time to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. We have booked a Cove Balcony for our November trip and can't wait!

Susan

Thanks for the review, we really enjoyed it. We will be back on the Magic 10-6. Looking forward to it, we really enjoyed our 1st. sailing on her. The only complaint I had with the 1st. cruise was the quality of the food. I didn't think it was nearly as good as some of the other Carnival ships we have been on. Hopefully it's better now.