Shy kids and Children's Programs

megessey

Anyone have experience with a shy kid on a cruise? We're taking our almost 4 year old on a Celebrity Caribbean cruise and we chose it because it is more quiet and laid back than Royal Caribbean or Carnival -- although the other lines can be more kid friendly atmosphere, it can also be chaotic. We also have heard rave reviews about Fun Factory (celeb) but hit and miss reviews about Adventure Ocean (rcl).

Our daughter is a mostly shy and sensitive kid and it takes her awhile to get comfortable in new surroundings. Our experience with preschool and daycare is that she loves it when she's there but has a hard time at first when we drop her off.

So ideally it would be great if we could have a few hours of the cruise just me and the hubby, and let her play in the Fun Factory. But we have to be realistic that she may hate it and never want to leave our side. I'm just curious if anyone can share their experience with the kids programs if their kids were shy in new environments alone.

The counselors on the ship deal with so many different personalities that I think it more "been there, done that" for the kids. By that, I mean they are used to dealing with all types of kids and know just what to do.

When my kids were little I dreaded dropping them off at daycare. They would cry. One day I decided to stick around and see what she did after I left. Well, within 30 seconds she was out playing with the other kids.

The worse that can happen is that your child won't like it. The best is that they love it and want to be there. My grandkids are in the middle. They love it but they still want to spend some time with family.

I think it's about presentation for the kids. You tell them they are going to like it and there is a better chance they will. You be nervous and so will they.

I suggest that if your cruise line has a sign up on the first night (embarkatoin day) and there is a get together, take her to that event and let her see the play area, meet the counselors and other kids who are going to be in the program. It should make the transition easier. And I know you know this, but the less nerves and apprehension you show, the easier it will be for your little girl to adjust. Talk the kids program up, but don't over sell it.

Don't worry, if your little girl just can't adjust or continues to cry after a reasonable amount of time after being dropped off, they will contact you to come and get her.

Presentation is the key -- let her know that it is a great treat (which for most kids it IS). It is not "daycare" or "babysitting" or whatever it is a cool room for kids ONLY with toys and stuff -- so now I'm getting a bit jeleous.

It really is the connections that she makes -- so the first night is key. Everyone else will be just meeting each other so the other kids will be more open to letting her join in.

We always found that the counselors were always great. They do this for a living -- new set of kids every cruise, so most of them have getting kids to mingle and to participate is second nature to them.

Neither of my kids were ever a fan of the kids clubs, both are on the shy side when meeting new people. On our 1st 2 cruises when they were 4 and 7, then 7 and 10, we went with friends who have kids the same ages. DS didn't mind going with his friend. DD hated it. The first time we left her (with her friend), we received a page that she wouldn't stop crying. This was about an hour and a half after we had left. I went and got her....she thought we had left her there "forever". Her friend was having a blast. On our last 7 cruises we did not go with any kids their ages and they were never in the same group except for our last one when they were both in the teen club. Over the years DD would try going on a couple of our cruises....she never went back after she tried it once. DS refused to even go by himself. Since they were both in the same group on our last one they both tried it together. They didn't go back after the meet and greet.

Personally, it was not a big thing for our kids to hang out with us. DH & I both work and the kids are extremely active in sports. Our cruises were our family vacations and we enjoyed the time we got to spend with the kids. As they got older they were able to go off and do more stuff together without DH and I being with them and we started getting them a seperate room so we had more space and more privacy. DH and I would always plan some long weekend getaway at least once a year to give us that adult time. The cruises were our family time.

Let your DD try it but be forwarned that she may be a child like that mine that just doesn't like it. I'd rather have my children enjoy their cruises hanging with us then send them to a club where they are not at all having fun.

DS1 is very shy, and is also sensitive to noise. His first experience at a cruise kids club was on NCL. There was one particular staff member who noticed he was having difficulty entering the program so came over to him and asked him to do a quiet activity. I came back about an hour later and he didn't want to leave :) So ITA that the staff can read the kids quickly and help them transition. I also agree that kids club is an option: one of a variety of activities open to them on a cruise. If they want to go, then great, otherwise we enjoy the family time. I don't agree with people who leave their kids in the kids program the whole trip...but that's just me.

Great choice on Celebrity - our but is not shy but we still prefer CEL to any of the other lines exactly because they don't have as many kids and the ones that are there get a ton of personal attention. We have traveled with lots of friends with kids and we have seen some kids who have cried initially when being left at the club but the counselors are usually so good that by day 2-3 they warm up to it. I think the key is to insist that she stays there even for an hour on day 1 and also present the club as a "reward". When my son was 3 we used to tell him is he was a good during the day he would get to go play with the kids at night. I suggest doing maybe 1-2 hours on day 1 and extend it a bit as time goes by. But I have faith that they will draw her in and it will all work out.

I would get a copy of the ship deck plans (where Fun Fac is located) and a listing of some of the activities they have for her age group. Talk about what fun stuff she will get to do and see what sparks her interest (and then plan to take her when those things are offered if possible) Also talk about when you will pick her up so she doesn't think she is "stuck" there forever. Since it will be a new place, you could even role play how to talk to other girls to ask if they want to play, etc. We did this with my DD before her first girl scout outing so she would feel more comfortable talking with "strange" girls. If she is aware of what to expect, she may be more likely to enjoy her time in the Fun Factory.

Archived