How long have you waited for a 'guarantee' assignment & what kind of cabin?

SnappyNappi

Just as i finished my rant i went to bed and when i awoke there it was cl 1748 side view witch is what we were hoping for the upgrade fairy does exsist . I justhope its not a mistake just kidding lol now we are doing the happy dance!!!!!!!

Hurray! I am so happy for you. That assignment must be totally worth the wait. Have a great time.

We awe on the same cruise as Classynfun and snapped up a W guarantee recently when the price dropped. 6 weeks until we cruise and still no assignment, but they are running very low on JS and GS so I'm hoping for maybe a CL :D

Sorry for slacking in my reply

got my assignment 6 days before sailing date ... the night before there was 5 Owners suites left and 2 Family suites ... in the morning the family suites were there - and 3 owners suites left. My assignment - JS - mid ship. Looks like someone got an upgrade and I got the JS - prime location at least. Oh well

This is our 2nd time on Explorer and we are very excited ... celebrating my DW's Bday today .. and our 1 year anniversary (which was last week)

We were married on the Explorer last year :)

Will report when we get back!

got my assignment 6 days before sailing date ... the night before there was 5 Owners suites left and 2 Family suites ... in the morning the family suites were there - and 3 owners suites left. My assignment - JS - mid ship. Looks like someone got an upgrade and I got the JS - prime location at least. Oh well

This is our 2nd time on Explorer and we are very excited ... celebrating my DW's Bday today .. and our 1 year anniversary (which was last week)

That is a nice location...I hope you have a great cruise. Happy birthday to your DW and happy anniversary to you both.

That is great that you got a juniors suite in such a great location. Happy Birthday to your DW and Anniversary to both of you. What a great way to celebrate, but to visit the ship where you had your ceremony!

Just as i finished my rant i went to bed and when i awoke there it was cl 1748 side view witch is what we were hoping for the upgrade fairy does exsist . I justhope its not a mistake just kidding lol now we are doing the happy dance!!!!!!!

Wow! I would definitely be doing the happy-dance! Enjoy your trip and congratulations on such a great assignment.

Wow, I am amazed at all the good deals you are getting, and all the upgrades.

We booked a guaranteed cabin on Voyager and were very disappointed. I had paid to upgrade 3 times, and the cabin was dirty, scruffy and the curtains were hanging off the track.

Hmm, we must be doing something very wrong.:eek::confused:

Wow, I am amazed at all the good deals you are getting, and all the upgrades.

We booked a guaranteed cabin on Voyager and were very disappointed. I had paid to upgrade 3 times, and the cabin was dirty, scruffy and the curtains were hanging off the track.

Hmm, we must be doing something very wrong.:eek::confused:

Remember there are different types of guarantee cabins...from inside gty (perhaps Z) to OV gty ((perhaps Y), to balcony gty ( X), to JS gty (W) to GS gty...I have not heard of gty higher than GS, but the line could do that, too.

So many people here are getting the exact category they were promised when they bought their gty cabin...other lucky people are getting some upgrades. but if one books an inside gty, one should expect an ordinary inside cabin and should be delighted if they happen to get a PR or OV.

I am sorry your cabin on Voyager did not live up to your expectations. Did you discuss your concerns with the cabin steward? Or ask guest service to call maintenance about the curtains? Or speak to the assistant or chief housekeeper about the cabin conditions? Even if I occasionally have a less than optimal room steward, I find if I take unaddressed issues to the appropriate departments, the situations are promptly addressed.

We awe on the same cruise as Classynfun and snapped up a W guarantee recently when the price dropped. 6 weeks until we cruise and still no assignment, but they are running very low on JS and GS so I'm hoping for maybe a CL :D

Hi Bekka. Are you enjoying the wait or do you find it aggravating? I have a W on Oasis a couple weeks before you, and I am rather enjoying the anticipation. Watching the number of available JS's drop has been nice, as it inspires dreams that maybe, just maybe, some W's will get upgrades. Who wouldn't love a CL? I only expect a JS, of course, and I am not picky about which deck, so I'll be happy regardless. each day without an assignment is another day of happy anticipation. Now that luggage tags are self printed, I see no major downside to waiting for my cabin number.

Hey BekkaW,

Have you heard yet??? Please let us know when you get your assignment. We are seeing the same thing on our sail date (Nov. 10) - low inventory on the JS and GS but many CLs left... here's hoping for all of us!

Wendy (Starry Eyes)... shhhhh.... you didn't hear it from me, but it looks like JS all sold out for our sailing.

Hi Penny. I just saw that. I still do not have an assignment. You? I wonder if they pulled the JS out of inventory to prepare to assign them...or maybe they just assigned them to other W bookings...or maybe somebody reserved them. Intriguing...

Hi Penny. I just saw that. I still do not have an assignment. You? I wonder if they pulled the JS out of inventory to prepare to assign them...or maybe they just assigned them to other W bookings...or maybe somebody reserved them. Intriguing...

No assignment here yet either... there were 3 or 4 left for the last couple of days and there were more GS left too... I guess we will know soon enough. Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything. :)

BTW... STILL keeping the secret... I can't believe I haven't blabbed to DH yet. LOL!

No assignment here yet either... there were 3 or 4 left for the last couple of days and there were more GS left too... I guess we will know soon enough. Keep in touch and let me know if you hear anything. :)

BTW... STILL keeping the secret... I can't believe I haven't blabbed to DH yet. LOL!

Excellent job keeping the secret. It will make a wonderful surprise.

Balcony cabins will on our sailing will be on the Tuesday sale next week, but not suites.

I will report back when I get an assignment. Watching 4 JS and a couple GS disappear made this an interesting day. I love holding an W gty booking without available JS cabins....it adds to the anticipation.

Balcony cabins will on our sailing will be on the Tuesday sale next week, but not suites.

I will report back when I get an assignment. Watching 4 JS and a couple GS disappear made this an interesting day. I love holding an W gty booking without available JS cabins....it adds to the anticipation.

Wishing CC had a "like" button. :)

Hey BekkaW,

Have you heard yet??? Please let us know when you get your assignment. We are seeing the same thing on our sail date (Nov. 10) - low inventory on the JS and GS but many CLs left... here's hoping for all of us!

No we're still waiting - the suspense is killing me! I will certainly let everyone know how it works out :)

Thdy took all the suites off the market about 3 weeks out and assigned us our crown loft two weeks out if that is any help hope you all get a great cabin!!!!

Thank you for the positive thoughts. Of course you had a GS gty, so you were in a better position to hope for a CL upgrade than me with a W booking. I admit I dream of a CL, I'd be delighted with a GS, and I'll be happy with a JS. Heck, I'll be happy being on the lovely ship.

Have a great time in your CL. Would you perhaps share a pic of that wonderful cabin when you return?

No we're still waiting - the suspense is killing me! I will certainly let everyone know how it works out :)

Funny how people react. I am waiting, too, but the suspense that is killing you is thrilling to me. I hope you get an assignment you love soon.

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread. I've really had fun reading it! I just have one question though(sorry if it's a stupid one): If you book a GTY, do you have a better chance of getting an upgrade than if you book an assigned cabin? We've been on a dozen cruises and never received an upgrade, though I keep hearing of this happening. Now I'm thinking that we should have been booking GTY's!

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread. I've really had fun reading it! I just have one question though(sorry if it's a stupid one): If you book a GTY, do you have a better chance of getting an upgrade than if you book an assigned cabin? We've been on a dozen cruises and never received an upgrade, though I keep hearing of this happening. Now I'm thinking that we should have been booking GTY's!

Hi Lady Lucy,

WARNING - LONG WINDED MESSAGE AHEAD... LOL!

So here is the scoop as I have come to understand it... as you will already know, this is my first chance with a guarantee and I was a bit leary of what to expect when I changed it from an assigned balcony room (CP on Oasis) to a Deluxe/Junior Suite GTY. From what I had been told and what I have come to expect is that when I book a Junior Suite guarantee - I will be assigned a Junior Suite. However, as the guarantee states, because I am not assigned to a specific cabin, I leave it to the cruise line to assign my cabin - whenever they want and wherever they want. The category guarantee means this... whatever category I select for guarantee is the least category that I will receive. There are many threads about guarantees if you do a search and you will find that they all say similar things. When selecting a guarantee, if you are going to go that route, while many times it may be a 'discounted' rate off the category assigned cabin. look at a ship map... see where the worst cabin in that category is and if you can live with that, then any cabin that the cruise line assigns should be fine. If you have specific things that you DO NOT want or you find highly undesirable about cabins in a guarantee category - DON'T BOOK A GUARANTEE.

Giving the cruise line the benefit of assigning your specific location and when they decide to assign it, gives them flexibility to be able to wait your assignment out and see what sells. Remember they make more money if they sell the assigned cabins than if they assign the cabin to a guarantee in that category, if the amount of the guarantee is lower than the assigned cabins in that category. If you expect when you book a guarantee that you will get a cabin in that category, then you should not be disappointed.

Since you read through, you will see that some of us that have been chatting have chosen category assignments that have sold well for our sailings. In the case where you select a category that sells out, there is a probability (be it a low or high probability, no one knows and everyone has different experiences), that you will get a theoretical 'upgrade'... remember, you selected the lowest category that you wanted and guaranteed your assignment to at least that category... So while there is sometimes the opportunity to get a better category than your guarantee, there is no magical formula to know if it will happen or not.

It is a gamble... as I am sure you read in the thread... sometimes you win and get that cabin in a higher category, and sometimes you don't and you get a cabin or a location that you wouldn't have chosen. Many of us are still waiting out our guarantee assignments... check back and see how we do if you are interested. AND... if you do decide to try a guarantee, we expect that you will check in to let us know how that goes for you!

Happy Sailing!

How do you see next week's sale? I logged in and checked Preview Sale and don't see next week's yet. Thanks!

I'm on the 11/29 sailing on the Jewel and hoping they will do a GTY on suites, but since I paid $299 for my E1, I'm not quite ready to jump on a JS at $729. Not that it's a bad price per night for a JS, but $299 is really pretty cheap for a balcony, and we have 8102. (Never tried that location before, why not.)

Archived