How long have you waited for a 'guarantee' assignment & what kind of cabin?

SnappyNappi

Thank you so much for all the information on this thread. I've really had fun reading it! I just have one question though(sorry if it's a stupid one): If you book a GTY, do you have a better chance of getting an upgrade than if you book an assigned cabin? We've been on a dozen cruises and never received an upgrade, though I keep hearing of this happening. Now I'm thinking that we should have been booking GTY's!

Hi LadyLucy. I agree with Penny's response. I've been through the gty drill several times. How picky are you about your cabin location? If you are picky, a gty is not for you. It is best if you can be happy in any cabin in the stated class or higher. So if you book an inside gty, you be willing to accept any inside cabin or any outside cabin (even a one low in the ship in the nose by the anchor!) or any other higher category cabin. I have favorite cabins, but I like to consider myself a flexible person, so when gty's are offered at attractive prices, I often take the gamble. Usually I get the category I booked...so if I select X (balcony gty), I usually get a balcony cabin, though sometimes a D1 rather than an E2. Such small free upgrades within a category are reasonably common, but it is substantially less common to get the next super-category (balcony X to JS, or deluxe W to GS, as example)....but they do happen once in a while.

So my long winded answer to your question is, yes, a gty will somewhat increase your odds of a free upgrade, but it comes with a risk. Go for it if you can, indeed, accept any cabin in that category or higher and if you get a better fare with gty.

Hi All,

So I booked our cruise on the Oasis in March of this year and have been watching the prices to see if I could snag a deal to upgrade from our originally booked CP Balcony to an Oceanview Balcony... Last week, I grabbed a 'Deluxe Guarantee' for a little more than what I originally paid, and took the gamble. I felt that it was worth it with the guarantee of a Junior Suite or higher - and the deluxe guarantee was essentially the same price as booking a D1. I have never taken a guarantee before, but I feel good about it and will be happy with whatever category I receive (minimum of a JS).

Okay - so it has been a week since I 'upgraded' to the guarantee and we are about 7 1/2 weeks out from our November Oasis cruise. I was just wondering if I can solicit any feedback from other CC friends who have taken guarantees in the past - how long have you waited for your cabin assignments? and just out of curiousity, if by chance you have taken the Deluxe Guarantee (Category W), what kind of cabin were you assigned to?? I'd love to hear others' experiences - might make me less impatient while I wait for my assignment.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks, but didn't really have anything worthwhile to post until now. We have been booked on Allure in Nov. for over a year, and a few weeks ago we upgraded our paid in full reservation in a balcony D1 to a W guarantee. We had been following the stateroom situation online and according to the website, nothing lower than a GS (in the suite category) was available. However, they were selling W guarantees for substantially less than the previously listed JS stateroom. It seemed like a good chance for an upgrade at a really good price so we decided to take the chance.

We watched the website for 2 weeks, while nothing was assigned to us. Over that period of time, a couple of JS reappeared, although none were available when we booked our W. That was unsettling, since we took the chance, thinking none were available. Those JS later disappeared from the inventory a couple of days after they reappeared.

As it was getting close to our sail date, we absolutely thought they would hold off assigning anything until the 14 day "no refund" mark, and then make assignments, based on whatever method they use, for unsold inventory. That just seemed to be what made sense.

We were surprised that on the 16 day mark, we were assigned a GS. It was an adjoining one, but there was a non-adjoining one available. I called and they quickly switched us with no questions or hassles. BTW, we did not get an email about the assignment. It just appeared on our reservation.

I post this because the information might be helpful to some trying to decided whether to take the chance with a W guarantee, and if so what might happen after booking it. We were told by the RCCL phone representative that since there were no JS at the time of booking, that we would probably be assigned a GS immediately. That didn't happen. We waited nearly 2 weeks. Also, just because there were no JS when we booked, it didn't mean that one couldn't later become available (2 actually did.) Also, the timing and location of the assignment seemed somewhat random. We were assigned just 2 days prior to the 14 day "no-refund window" and we were not given the best available GS at the time, but were able to switch. If you have a guaranteed category stateroom, I recommend checking your reservation often, as you might not get an email when your stateroom is assigned. The sooner you know your assignment, the better chance you have of making a change, if you want to.

We have cruised many times, but this was our first time booking a W and we really didn't know what to expect. It was risky, because we had a very nice D1 on the bump-out that we knew we would be giving up. We took the gamble (knowing it was just that) because the inventory looked favorable for an upgrade and the price was right. In the end, it worked out exactly as we hoped. However, it was a bit unsettling when 2 JS staterooms reappeared in the inventory very soon after we booked the W.

I have no great advice, just the information from my single personal experience. Hopefully someone will find this useful in their future plans, as I have received much helpful information over the years on these boards. Enjoy your vacations!

CRUIZERZIGGY,

That is great for you... your category W Guarantee worked out perfectly for your cruise. A GS is a great assignment and since you were able to move to the room that does not have a connecting cabin, you really did well! I assume you are sailing the first week of November since your assignment came "16 days out"... We are 21 days out. There were 26 JS available in mid-September, when I changed to the category W guarantee for our sailing... there are none left now and only 2 GS now available. Maybe we will luck-out like you! Thanks for sharing your experience. Keeps us hopeful that it can happen :)

Congratulations on your assignment and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story, cruiserziggy, and enjoy your GS. I'll be so happy if we are lucky like you and our W turns into a GS 16 days out. On the same cruise as Penny, so we are 21 days out now; 2 GS but no JS are currently available as she said. Maybe we will be assigned this week.

@SnappyNappi and Starry Eyes-

If there are no JS available, the odds of an upgrade are probably very good. With only 2 GS, who knows...maybe you will do even better! I hope you do! Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

Two more GS reappeared, so now four GS show available. Still no JS available. I remain hopeful and excited for the trip.

Idontknow if it a pattern ornot but we got our cabin last sat 15 days out

hmm, that is interesting. Twenty days to go now....I will keep checking regularly this week.

Hi Wendy... didn't know how else to get in touch with you. I don't think you heard on your assignment yet either. No news to report here. However, did you see that they have a JS Guarantee listed again (listed as a Category JS) for... wait for it... $1749 per person! I am feeling pretty good about paying $1299 per person for ours... but still no JS available - and now 5 GS available for our sailing. I am watching closely now. I think we are going to find out our assignments soon (of course, "soon" being a relative term because we are only 18 days out as of today... so theoretically, we are leaving and will be on the ship soon... LOL!).

Stay in touch! :)

Hi Wendy... didn't know how else to get in touch with you. I don't think you heard on your assignment yet either. No news to report here. However, did you see that they have a JS Guarantee listed again (listed as a Category JS) for... wait for it... $1749 per person! I am feeling pretty good about paying $1299 per person for ours... but still no JS available - and now 5 GS available for our sailing. I am watching closely now. I think we are going to find out our assignments soon (of course, "soon" being a relative term because we are only 18 days out as of today... so theoretically, we are leaving and will be on the ship soon... LOL!).

Stay in touch! :)

Oh, isn't that interesting...listed as JS, not as W. I am not sure what to think of that. Still, I am glad no JS cabins are listed.

Like you, I suspect we will get assignments soon. meanwhile, I get to anticipate the assignment as well as anticipate the cruise.

[quote name='cruiseatick']I predict you will all get your assignment Saturday morning when you wake up you all Will have grand suites or crown lofts[/quote]
CRUISEATICK ---- from your lips to RCCL's ears. :) We will be sure to check in and let everyone know how it ends up.

ALEXKRN46, keep checking... hopefully it will be a good one... thanks for thinking of us!

[quote name='alexkrn46']I have been watching this thread and routing for a good assignment for all of you![/QUOTE]

[quote name='cruiseatick']I predict you will all get your assignment Saturday morning when you wake up you all Will have grand suites or crown lofts[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for those positive thoughts.
I hope you are right, cruiseatick. I hear the CL's are amazing on Oasis class, and I would like to experience it. We will be D+ after our December cruise, so barring another rule change, we will have CL access. I just do not know when we will next be on Oasis class.

Alright, I have a question for you cruise experts. You need to be nice to me because I'm a long time listener first time caller ;) on this board. However, we booked a GTY inside of the Independence Dec 16 sailing and got our cabin asignment pretty quickly. It's kind of a unfavorable assignment over the dining room and a "double inside" if that makes sense. I'm not really complaining because I feel fortunate to even be going on the cruise. Nor do I plan on spending much time in the room anyway, but was wondering if I have any options or outs to possibly get reassigned? What about calling to try to pay for an upgrade, is that possible and do they give you a discount? Is it better to do this stuff last minute or? The ship seems far from sold out fom what I see online and the price looks like it drops here and there too. I know the rules of a GTY and that you leave it upto the cruise line, just got the worst possible outcome in my opinion lol :) Thanks for any help in advance.

[quote name='Socceric9']Alright, I have a question for you cruise experts. You need to be nice to me because I'm a long time listener first time caller ;) on this board. However, we booked a GTY inside of the Independence Dec 16 sailing and got our cabin asignment pretty quickly. It's kind of a unfavorable assignment over the dining room and a "double inside" if that makes sense. I'm not really complaining because I feel fortunate to even be going on the cruise. Nor do I plan on spending much time in the room anyway, but was wondering if I have any options or outs to possibly get reassigned? What about calling to try to pay for an upgrade, is that possible and do they give you a discount? Is it better to do this stuff last minute or? The ship seems far from sold out fom what I see online and the price looks like it drops here and there too. I know the rules of a GTY and that you leave it upto the cruise line, just got the worst possible outcome in my opinion lol :) Thanks for any help in advance.[/quote]

Once you have a cabin assigned, you can absolutely call and ask to be moved to another cabin location in the same category. For Example, if you were assigned an E1, choose another E1 to your liking.

[quote name='Socceric9']Even tho it was a guaranteed? I just feel like the person that assigned our cabin I might have made mad at some point in life. Also do you call your TA or RCCL? or either?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]The computers make the assignements. Assuming you live in the US or Canada, just pick out a cabin that you like better in your same category. If you used a TA you will need to call them and ask to switch to a specific cabin. If you booked directly with RCCL call them.There shouldn't be any hassel or problem. Should there be price drops closer to sailing, you can upgrade to a higher category if the price has dropped below what you paid for your inside cabin. Or, you can pay the difference between what you paid and the price on an upgraded cabin.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Socceric9']Even tho it was a guaranteed? I just feel like the person that assigned our cabin I might have made mad at some point in life. Also do you call your TA or RCCL? or either?[/QUOTE]

If you booked through a TA you must ask them to make the change. There should be no trouble changing cabins within the same category at no additional cost. You also have the option of upgrading to any cabin you choose and paying the difference but they will not discount the room.

[quote name='Socceric9']Alright, I have a question for you cruise experts. You need to be nice to me because I'm a long time listener first time caller ;) on this board. However, we booked a GTY inside of the Independence Dec 16 sailing and got our cabin asignment pretty quickly. It's kind of a unfavorable assignment over the dining room and a "double inside" if that makes sense. I'm not really complaining because I feel fortunate to even be going on the cruise. Nor do I plan on spending much time in the room anyway, but was wondering if I have any options or outs to possibly get reassigned? What about calling to try to pay for an upgrade, is that possible and do they give you a discount? Is it better to do this stuff last minute or? The ship seems far from sold out fom what I see online and the price looks like it drops here and there too. I know the rules of a GTY and that you leave it upto the cruise line, just got the worst possible outcome in my opinion lol :) Thanks for any help in advance.[/QUOTE]

Soccer, if you give us the cabin number you got, we can look up the sailing and give recommendations on what to move to. However, sometimes you have to talk to RCI directly (or your TA) to get all available cabins

[quote name='Socceric9']Thanks for the Help :) I did just look and the price of a GTY inside has gone down $100 of what I paid.. Both on RCCL and on my TA's website so I guess I better get in touch with them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='waterbugohio']Soccer, if you give us the cabin number you got, we can look up the sailing and give recommendations on what to move to. However, sometimes you have to talk to RCI directly (or your TA) to get all available cabins[/QUOTE]

Since you are after final payment, you probably cannot benefit from the price drop on the inside gty. OTOH, if prices drop on better cabin categories, you might be able to pay the difference to upgrade.

As others have said, if your are a US customer, you probably can change cabins within the exact same category as your gty assignment. as Waterbug said, If you give us the category and cabin you've been assigned, we'd be happy to offer cabin advice...it is kinda fun to look at the deck plans.

Interior Stateroom Guaranteed (N) we were assigned 6451, Independence of the Seas. I'm currently trying to get in touch with the agent because their price on an ocean-view GTY is now only $13 more total that what we paid, all category prices dropped.

My Agent, which is bad I know, is so hard to get in touch with and terrible at returning calls. Since RCCL has the exact same lower prices as my agent.. Can I call them about this upgrade?

Archived