hurricanes in bahamas

wannabrich

Can't really answer your question that well, but we sailed to the Bahamas the week of September 2nd and the weather was gorgeous. But the week before is when Isaac hit, so it can be hard to gauge. Living in South LA, it seems that hurricane season is most active during the two months you mentioned, even though the season is from June-November. Hopefully others can give you more insight. :)

Its a gamble.. Since your talking about Aug 2013, right? Considering the end of August is "prime season" up untill end of Sept, which would have the highest activity.

Just look at it this way.. If a storm is around when your cruising, they will probably go to another port or have a sea day. That is reason the prices are the lowest. Its Hurricane season. Nobody knows when a storm will develop, expecially a year in advance:rolleyes:. If in doubt, book earlyer like around May or jun.

I wouldnt go to Bahamas during middle of winter, they have about same weather as south fla, but if a strong cold front moves through, the temps may not get much out of the 70s expecially with a stiff North wind behind the front. That will ruin a good beach day.

I realize that August and September are hurricane season but was curious as to how often bahamas are hit in these two months? Trying to plan a cruise for end of August.

End of Aug and the first half of Sept have, historically, been the most active months. As such, there will be some of the best rates available. You are rolling the dice in a way but the odds are in your favor taking into account the itinerary options. In other words, tropical storms/systems (not just hurricanes) can not be everywhere at one time.

Honestly, the Caribbean and surrounding waters are typically rougher in the winter months due to the trade-winds.

The north and central Bahamas are rather close to the FL peninsula as well. And depending on prevailing winds, are susceptible to afternoon thunderstorms rolling off of FL that form over the Everglades. It's been a rather bumpy summer here in SE FL.

Think of it this way....you're on vacation. The slim chance you run into one, you may get diverted to Cozumel or Kew West. Still better than going to work. ;-)

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise!

there is a better then average chance that there will be hurricane activity in the bahamas from late august to late september. Just got back from our trip on Dream 8/25 eastern route. At the last minute we learned of a course change to avoid Issac. made a course away from the bahamas and the winds and ended up missing the Nassau stop but picked up a stop in Grand Turk. Ended up being a much better trip as GT is our favorite port. Travel during hurricane season is always a risk but rest assured that the boat WILL go somewhere, reguardless of the storm.

Thanks for replying and yes, Grand Turks isn't a bad deal @ all!! :) I would be very pleased w/ that. My other concern though would be if we arranged excursions ahead of time for the port in Nassau. Do you get refunded if something like that were to happen?

Read my sig and you will see the exciting cruises I have had. So long as you don't have great expectations of hitting a certain destination, hurricane season isn't so bad. I am sailing 9/24/12 out of Jacksonville. I really hope for a few big waves. To me that adds to the experience. I don't want a Dennis or Wilma as before but a few waves will be nice. FWIW, after Dennis and Wilma we tried Spring cruising to avoid the storms. That cruise taught me that hurricanes are not so bad.

This next cruise is the exact same as the Wilma cruise but on the Celebration. We missed Key West then so maybe this one will go as planned.

Archived