Why is this so hard?

kiraryker

No, it is a great port. I've cruised from there five times and from the comments this guy is posting, he has never cruised from there at all. There are lots of things to do on the island the day before your cruise, and the port runs pretty well from my experience. Fog happens in February and March. It usually just causes delays. One year there was fog for a couple of days, and since then, everyone panics about fog.

You got to be kidding. I've lived in the area all my life and it's been a long life!!!

Cruising from there has nothing at all to do with travel, accommodations, dining and hotels there. It's the same for everyone whether they are going on a cruise or vacationing. The Galveston cheerleaders will never admit the town is not geared up for cruisers. Look at hotel minimums, rental car turn in/pickup and travel to and from the island. And lets not forget the fog issue!! No other port in America gets closed by the Coast Guard to cruising due to fog like this. New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, New York and Boston have never been closed for fog in my experience. I love how you say Galveston was closed a couple of times, you certainly don't live there if you say that!! The weather in Taylor, TX is certainly not like Galveston. February and March, I think not, let's not forget about November, December and January.

You got to be kidding. I've lived in the area all my life and it's been a long life!!!

Cruising from there has nothing at all to do with travel, accommodations, dining and hotels there. It's the same for everyone whether they are going on a cruise or vacationing. The Galveston cheerleaders will never admit the town is not geared up for cruisers. Look at hotel minimums, rental car turn in/pickup and travel to and from the island. And lets not forget the fog issue!! No other port in America gets closed by the Coast Guard to cruising due to fog like this. New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, New York and Boston have never been closed for fog in my experience. I love how you say Galveston was closed a couple of times, you certainly don't live there if you say that!! The weather in Taylor, TX is certainly not like Galveston. February and March, I think not, let's not forget about November, December and January.

There are three hotels that regularly have minimums and they are the three most expensive in town.

Yes, getting to Galveston by plane takes more planning because the companies that service Galveston don't advertise well. That has absolutely nothing to do with driving there.

Almost every hotel in Galveston offers free parking during your cruise. The town is so small that a cab to the port is never expensive. In addition, there are at least three independent parking lots plus the port parking that offer excellent rates to cruisers.

Moody Gardens, the Pleasure Pier, Schlitterban, the Strand, and the beaches offer plenty for vacationers to do.

I used to find the port to be a nightmare during embarkation and debarkation, but the improvements made last year to get ready for the Carnival Magic have improved that flow tremendously.

As far as fog goes, I did not say it closed the port a couple of times. I said it closed the port for a few days straight a couple of years ago, which caused itinerary changes to at least four cruises, and that incident has led to a larger than necessary panic about fog in Galveston. Fog does close the port regularly, until the sun comes out in most cases, though. This causes delays, as I said above, and a traveler should be prepared to deal with that possibility.

Galveston is not perfect, but it is a far cry from the hellhole you are making it out to be.

I have cruised out of NOLA, your example of a better place to cruise. Hotels near the port are much more expensive, parking is more, and simply walking down the street in NOLA is far from family friendly.

My favorite part about cruising from Galveston was the dolphins following the ship out of the port area. So neat!!

Plus, I LOVE Galveston!

We totally missed a meet and greet on the Triumph because we were watching three dolphins play next to the ship during embarkation.

I just wish we had an easier way to get to Galveston from the Houston airport!!! There are 7 of us with luggage so we are looking at big bucks UGH

The dedicated super shuttle might be your best bet with that large a group. Those vans hold up to ten people. From Hobby to Galveston I get a quote online of $147 each way. That's $21 per person each way.

"You got to be kidding. I've lived in the area all my life and it's been a long life!!!

And lets not forget the fog issue!! No other port in America gets closed by the Coast Guard to cruising due to fog like this. New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, New York and Boston have never been closed for fog in my experience. I love how you say Galveston was closed a couple of times, you certainly don't live there if you say that!!" quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is not necessarily the case anymore!

Ships did come into Galveston port

and depart with fog during this last year.

This after meeting between

Port authorities, Pilots, Coast Guard, and Cruise Lines

and with some resolution to that issue.

Do we only count on your personals experiences

or the reality of mother nature events and facts......

of strikes, volcanos, fog, ice, snow, chemical spills, thunderstorms and hurricanes

that can interrupt air travel, car travel and cruise service to all of those and Galveston ports.

There are exceptions everywhere in the world.

Including war!

These will not keep me from traveling and cruising.

I'm on Mariner next month

planning on Egypt,

but we may be diverted by RCL,

but I have a good attitude and will be dissapointed, if we don't get in!

But I will hope to return another day!

We have had our own personal bad experiences also in ports of Florida, the East Coast and Europe,

but I won't bother you with those again!

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

of you’re expectations.

Archived