Snorkeling in Belize vs Roatan

Osnab

Plan on doing Coral Breezes and Victor Bodden on our trip in January. I will come back and let everyone know how they were. Wife and I went snorkeling in St Thomas, Antigua, and Tortola last year so I will only have that to compare to. I've heard the Western is so much better for snorkeling.

I always was under the impression that Belize was the best place for snorkeling, but after looking at the excursion choices on my upcoming cruise, it seems that Roatan, Honduras has more options for snorkeling. Has anyone been snorkeling in both places where you can give me a comparison?

Thanks in advance.....

Felicia

Have been to both and doesn't seem to make much difference as long as you take a boat which you can do from either... snorkel/dive ( not that far) that gets to the Barrier Reef (World's Second Largest). It's amazing! So much more than just looking at pretty fish. Rather like you're floating around from a very high mountain. For those who don't (or no longer) snorkel ... a swim mask works to view below.

LuLu

~~~~

• 1 year later...

We've been on the west Carib cruise that stops in Roatan, a few times. The best snorkeling we've ever done (and we've done a lot), was in Roatan. If you are going to snorkel anywhere do it there. There was so much action I never knew which way to look next! We did the half day catamaran tour last trip to Roatan, it was so worth it. We book with a company we found on tripadvisor, they had really great reviews Sun Splash Tours. Maybe check them out? They had a lot of throw-ins for us we weren't expecting, so it made our day that much better. Maybe check them out, it was way better than the jolly rogers catamaran that's for sure!

If you haven't been there before, it is really worth it to get out of the port and check out the island. It's really beautiful, reminds me of St. Lucia.

We've been on the west Carib cruise that stops in Roatan, a few times. The best snorkeling we've ever done (and we've done a lot), was in Roatan. If you are going to snorkel anywhere do it there. There was so much action I never knew which way to look next! We did the half day catamaran tour last trip to Roatan, it was so worth it. We book with a company we found on tripadvisor, they had really great reviews Sun Splash Tours. Maybe check them out? They had a lot of throw-ins for us we weren't expecting, so it made our day that much better. Maybe check them out, it was way better than the jolly rogers catamaran that's for sure!

If you haven't been there before, it is really worth it to get out of the port and check out the island. It's really beautiful, reminds me of St. Lucia.

What type of throw ins?7

We book a private tour with Ivar in Belize. This will be our second time using him. He will meet you at the port take you out for the day. We went snorkeling, then he took us swimming the rays, then to Caye Caulker for time to explore and have lunch. He is great. He goes in the water with you and points out things--things we would have missed. Ivar can generally accommodate as many or as few people as needed. His email is pbuay at yahoo dot com. If you contact him, tell him Laura from CA said hi.

In Roatan we snorkel at Parrot Tree Plantation. Day passes are 10-15 and the place is very quite.

We book a private tour with Ivar in Belize. This will be our second time using him. He will meet you at the port take you out for the day. We went snorkeling, then he took us swimming the rays, then to Caye Caulker for time to explore and have lunch. He is great. He goes in the water with you and points out things--things we would have missed. Ivar can generally accommodate as many or as few people as needed. His email is pbuay at yahoo dot com. If you contact him, tell him Laura from CA said hi.

In Roatan we snorkel at Parrot Tree Plantation. Day passes are 10-15 and the place is very quite.

I've emailed Ivar. How was the snorkeling at Parrot Tree and how did you get there? And did Ivar take you to Shark/Ray Alley?

I've emailed Ivar. How was the snorkeling at Parrot Tree and how did you get there? And did Ivar take you to Shark/Ray Alley?

I am not sure if it was Shark/Ray Alley but there were a ton of sharks and rays and we were the only there. Totally loved it. The snorkeling at Parrott Tree was good. It is a very quite resort. My husband said it was the best snorkeling. We did the Pirates zip and dip trip and they took us there. I emailed Parrott Tree and they said a cab was about 10 each way.