Digital camera purchase

jactaa

QM2, We will be in New York over the 3 days covering Independence Day.

Would welcome recommendations for a shopping outlet in which to purchase a digital camera.

TIA

:D

jactaa

Would welcome recommendations for a shopping outlet in which to purchase a digital camera.

TIA

jactaa

jactaa,

I'd do a little research on the internet on prices - for many things the US is cheaper, but for something like a digital camera you need to bear in mind that i) the charger will not fit UK plugs and ii) if you are really unlucky will be 110 v so will get fried when you plug it into 240v UK. The other thing to bear in mind is that US prices do not show sales tax - around 8% in NY I think - in the past I have concluded that for the marginal savings it was better to buy in the UK from a shop I could easily return to if problems arose. For example, the Minolta Dimage Z3 is £193 cheapest in UK - around $355, while cheapest in US is $310 (online - so will likely be more expensive instore) - for £24 I'd get it in the UK. Of course, more expensive camera bigger savings....and greater downside if things go wrong.

Peter

A terrific store in NYC is B & H Photo, on 9th avenue and 34th street. I am a huge Internet shopper, in fact I work for a Web site, and this store has a truly great selection and very competitive prices. In fact, when I bought my camera, they actually had the cheapest price--cheaper than the Internet. Tax is extra (over 8%), but it is nice to be able to hold a camera in your hands rather than buying blind.

You will not have to worry about the charger issue if you get a camera that uses replaceable batteries rather than a charger. You can use standard alkalines in the US, and then buy yourself some NiMH rechargables when you get home. This type of camera is great to travel, since you can find alkaline batteries anywhere, and it saves you from packing a charger.

Even if you don't buy a camera at B & H, it's a terrific store -- it is owned by Hasidic Jews, so you'll get a little cultural exchange in the process. The store is wonderfully organized, full of chutes and overhead conveyers that take your purchase to the front of the store. The employees are extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend it.

TIA

jactaa

Many thanks for info and advice

I second the recommendation of B&H... Even if you don't buy anything, it is worth visiting anyway. It has to rank as the busiest retail outlet I've ever stepped foot in.

I don't know if you've decided what camera to buy yet; if not a good place to start is Digital Photography Review.

If you have any questions just send me an e-mail; photography is another hobby of mine and I'm always happy to discuss cameras as well as ships.

I second the recommendation of B&H... Even if you don't buy anything, it is worth visiting anyway. It has to rank as the busiest retail outlet I've ever stepped foot in.

I don't know if you've decided what camera to buy yet; if not a good place to start is Digital Photography Review.

If you have any questions just send me an e-mail; photography is another hobby of mine and I'm always happy to discuss cameras as well as ships.

I have been following online reviews, such as DPR, with a view to buying a 4mp+ camera. Nothing hi-tec, sufficient to snap grandchildren as they cause chaos in our household. If the price is right I wil buy. Canon A520 on the list at the moment.

If the price is right I wil buy. Canon A520 on the list at the moment.

For Canon A520 @ 17th St Photo price ~£140 ($235 + tax @£1=1.82), on Pricerunner £158 (vs Dixons £200, Comet £245):

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/322013/prices

The internet has been a great leveller of prices in electronics...still not quite as good as a larger market (the US)...but less of a trip to take back if something goes wrong...

Peter

Having conveniently left my digital camera on the back seat of a New York City taxi last week (serious brain cramp), I am now actively trawling (not trolling, thank you) the internet for a replacement.

The camera I lost was a Panasonic 4mp Lumix with an amazing Leica 12x zoom lens and a very cool auto stabilizing device so that when you're taking telephoto pictures the camera senses and cancels out any body shake that might make the image jumpy. My only complaint about it (18 months old) was that it was a bit big compared to fit-in-the-pocket digitals, but that was the price for the amazing performance.

Well now that I'm replacing it, of course time has marched on, and there's a new version of the camera, about 2/3 the size (so will fit in coat pocket or anyone's handbag, maybe not trouser pocket unless I'm happy to see you - ;) ) but with the same or improved performance. It's the Panasonic DMZ-FZ5, 5mp, Leica f/2.8-3.3 12x zoom lens (equivalent to 37-450mm with 35mm film cameras) and all the bells and whistles one could want, but still very much a point-and-shoot camera if that's what you want. It's a remarkable camera; a must (IMO) for anyone who wants to take everyday pictures but still have a lens that can catch the eagle soaring over Yankee Stadium (one of which I saw last month the day before we sailed on the QM2.)

In NYC all of the above-mentioned dealers offer it for between $430 and $450 (list $500) but 42nd Street Photo (located, of course, on 5th Ave. near 36th St.) has it for $417. http://www.42photo.com Use the $13 savings for lox on a bagel at Sarge's deli on 3rd at 36th, while you read the manual. Excellent camera.

I actually wouldn't buy from any NYC camera dealer as the prices can be beaten in almost any city in the US, not to mention ebay, but the OP was asking. I have not heard that regarding 42nd St, so thanks for the heads up. But a sealed box and a credit card receipt ought to be enough to protect most consumers, doncha think?

Circuit City had it on sale last week for $425 - branches all over, including Manhattan, and in general digitals are very competitive. Just wait for a coupon or sale flyer and off you go.

Just wait for a coupon or sale flyer and off you go.

Thats the problem for non US residents - don't get coupons & lots of the deals are for 'mail in rebates'. And much good may a sealed box and cc receipt do you from the other side of the Atlantic!

Peter

In Manhattan, 24/7, someone on any corner will sell you a camera! But here is a big YES to buying anything at B & H Photo. They've vast stock; I really believe the prices are rock-bottom. While there, pick up the catalogue; it's a record of what is out there, one toy after another. I've sent me English mates there with great success. It's an easy place to get to; I'm sure you'll be pleased.

As well, it's a great place to sell off your stuff, when you want the next newest thing. They have a thriving "used" operation and you can find some treasures there.

Please remember that a fair percenage of digital cameras have faults of some kind when bought new. Unless you can make a big saving buy in your home country. In UK I have had good dealings with Internetcamerasdirect. If it goes wrong send it back. It's a long way to NY.

David.

Archived