Multiple starters and two entrees?

Sailinwfam

yup, i do it all the time..

if carnival really wanted to stem multiple orders (and i don't think they do), they'd give more than 4-5 shrimp, or larger shrimp for a shrimp cocktail, as an example.

i think they prefer to send items out in smaller portions, and if you want more, they're happy to give it to you... just like the bacon on lido lol.

i always get at least 2 shrimp cocktail (because 4 tiny shrimp does not a cocktail make), some of the more interesting apps, and then whatever i want in terms of entrees. typically just one, but on elegant night, i've been known to get 2 lobster tails (come on, they're tiny) and the prime rib :D

always order up front all at once to save them trips to the kitchen. and i've learned not to ask for 'just the entree' - they'd rather bring you the veggies, the baked potato, and you not eat it, because they're pre-plated... that's the wasteful part, but if i didn't want the potato i'm not gonna eat it when i can have something i do want instead.

i'm typically full enough by then that i order sherbet for dessert though... gotta pick your battles :)

What are your thoughts on ordering multiple starters and two entrees at dinner in the MDR? Someone brought this up on our last cruise and it turned into quite a hot topic. Do you order more than one?

Tes you can order as many items as you would like. Sometimes when there is nothing on the main course menu that appeals to me I order multiple starters. On Lobster nite I have had 2 or 3 entrees. :D

What are your thoughts on ordering multiple starters and two entrees at dinner in the MDR? Someone brought this up on our last cruise and it turned into quite a hot topic. Do you order more than one?

We've been doing it since 1993. No one bats an eyelash, but when we have others at our table, by the second night, they are doing it as well.

Order whatever you want but eat what you order (unless it's truly awful).

I so agree! I hate to see piles of nearly-full plates left at the tables as I exit the dining room! Such a waste.

We rarely order more than one entree, but have on occasion ordered extra starters. There's usually more than enough to eat just working our way through the courses.

I almost always order a couple apps and main courses. I do it when we do the original order so the wait team does not have to make several trips. Good waiters will learn what I like and surprise me with extra dishes. The only time I order after initial order is if something is bad or not right (this does not happen very often). I always want to try more than one thing. The bad thing is I usually eat it all, shame on me.

DITTO!!!!!:eek:

When we were on Victory in July everything was a "starter" so if you wanted an appetizer and a salad and a soup you had to order three "starters". I never ordered two entrees except once we all ordered a single extra entree cause everyone wanted to try it. No one batted an eye the waiters certainly did not care.

This is copied from my review of our cruise on the Valor earlier this year. This was outrageous ! No wonder there was a shortage of escargot. (These people never heard of Cruisecritic, so I don't expect they will be posting a reply.

Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Multiple Orders by Tablemates Now, I know that Carnival allows you to order what you want to, but….. on the first night, when one couple had several plates delivered, we did not pay much attention to it. The night after lobster/shrimp night, the wife bragged that she had ordered 4 lobster tail plates at our dinner setting, then she went to the ‘other dining room, ‘ and ordered 2 more for a total of 6 lobster tails and 18 shrimp.

The night of oysters Rockefeller starters she had 4 orders of those along with her entrée. I think there were 4 on each plate for a total of 16. She said, “ Just wait until it is escargot night.” Sure enough, that night she ordered 6 escargot plates/4 on each plate, THEN following the entrée of Chateaubriand, she ordered 2 more plates of escargot for dessert ! That of course held up the delivery of the desserts for the rest of us at the table.

The final night, she ordered multiple fried shrimp and you guessed it, Rainer, our server said to her, “Let me guess. You want 2 shrimp plates for dessert.” BINGO, he was right. I will not make any comments about her orders, you are free to make your own.

This is copied from my review of our cruise on the Valor earlier this year. This was outrageous ! No wonder there was a shortage of escargot. (These people never heard of Cruisecritic, so I don't expect they will be posting a reply.

Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Multiple Orders by Tablemates Now, I know that Carnival allows you to order what you want to, but….. on the first night, when one couple had several plates delivered, we did not pay much attention to it. The night after lobster/shrimp night, the wife bragged that she had ordered 4 lobster tail plates at our dinner setting, then she went to the ‘other dining room, ‘ and ordered 2 more for a total of 6 lobster tails and 18 shrimp.

The night of oysters Rockefeller starters she had 4 orders of those along with her entrée. I think there were 4 on each plate for a total of 16. She said, “ Just wait until it is escargot night.” Sure enough, that night she ordered 6 escargot plates/4 on each plate, THEN following the entrée of Chateaubriand, she ordered 2 more plates of escargot for dessert ! That of course held up the delivery of the desserts for the rest of us at the table.

The final night, she ordered multiple fried shrimp and you guessed it, Rainer, our server said to her, “Let me guess. You want 2 shrimp plates for dessert.” BINGO, he was right. I will not make any comments about her orders, you are free to make your own.

Only 4?

I've read some precious mother posters brag their fruits of their loins eating anywhere from 15 to the low 20's of tails!

Usually I order two appetizers, 1 entree, 1 desert. I plan on DD (who is now 20 months) sharing some of my app with me and sometimes my meal. Sometimes if a lot looks good, I will order two apps myself and another app for DD. The apps are pretty small. On my first cruise there was an appetizer course and a salad course, now they have lumped them into one, so I don't feel too bad about ordering two. The only time I ever ordered two entrees was lobster night, because the tails are pretty small.

DH always orders atleast 2 apps or app and salad, plus two entrees and a desert. He always eats it all.

I say as long as you are not wasting food, go ahead and order whatever you want. I don't agree with people who will order several entrees and take just a bite of them. If you don't like it thats one thing but I would not order something just to waste most of it.

I always order at the appropriate time for the course and all of the orders at the same time, even though we have ATD which should not be as disruptive.

The only additional things I've requested is to double up on the salad (they sent two separate salads - the second one after I had finished the first) and once I ordered two entrees.

As others have said, go ahead and order, just don't waste food.

There have been occasions where nothing on the entree menu appealed to me and I ordered 3 or 4 starters. I just told the waiter to bring them out at his convenience and it was never a problem.

Same thing happens to me. I end up with two salads and more room for dessert!

As far as not liking any of the entrees, we check the dinner menu in advance, so I pretty much know what I'm going to order by the time we arrive. If we don't see something we like, we'll dine at the buffet. Of course, it can happen that something sounds good on the menu, we order it but we don't like it - but that hardly ever happens.

Archived