distance from ny port authority bus terminal to passenger cruise terminal?

sailsalot

Okay all you new york travelers, here's a question for you.

I'm thinking of taking a Martz bus into the city for an upcoming QM2 cruise instead of trying to navigate the city to get to the cruise terminal parking. Martz drops people off at the NY Port Authority at 8th Ave and 41st St. Is this near the passenger cruise terminal, or are we still in for a bit of travel to get there? Are there any other reasonable alternatives to getting to the cruise terminal, ie: NY Waterways Ferry from NJ, or other transportation? I know it seems silly, but none of us have ever driven in NYC, and the thought of us trying to find our way around is a little intimidating. Just trying to think of alternatives. Thanks!!!

I think it's more like a 15 minute walk, (5 blocks) ;)

Its 42nd St to 48th/49th (the Intrepid is on 46th St) and 8th Ave to 12th....don't know how you do the math...but that feels like more than 5 blocks to me! After my crossing I was in a hotel on 49th St & 7th Avenue - with luggage a tad too far to walk.

Peter

Peter: we are also staying at a hotel near 49th and 7th, the Radio City Apartments.

Are there any good restaurants you would recommend? We will be there for two nights pre cruise on the QM2.

Thanks, Grace

Peter: we are also staying at a hotel near 49th and 7th, the Radio City Apartments.

Are there any good restaurants you would recommend? We will be there for two nights pre cruise on the QM2.

Thanks, Grace

Grace,

Sounds like you've got a great place to stay! If they have 'Hudson River' views you might even be able to watch the QM2 arrive the day you sail!

We lunched at Ruby Foo's (49th & Broadway) which is Chinese/Japanese - we were a bit zonked after the early start from arriving in New York, so possibly the loud chatter of the Ladies who lunched felt more oppressive than it might otherwise have been....then to the TKTS booth a few blocks away for tickets to the Producers - if you haven't seen it - do! Dinner was more relaxed at the Heartland Brewery (W 43rd St between Broadway & 6th) - great beer, a good change after 6 days of Martinis on the QM2 - they have a 'tasting platter' of 6 US beers - so I tried that. Lunch the following day was at Bergdof Goodman, followed by dinner at TAO (58th between Park & Madison) - a huge 'hip' Asian restaurant.

So it all really depends on what you like.

Of the four, the one I'd go back to soonest is the Heartland Brewery.

You will however be completely spoiled for choice! IN general the advice is that a few blocks either side of Times Square/Broadway are less touristy/better value.

Have fun!

Peter

Peter: thanks for info re restaurants. Asian is our favouite, and years ago a most memorable meal was at a place in Chinatown in NY. Then as we were just wandering around that area, we came across Little Italy and there was a festival going on with a parade of the virgin Mary, foods, dancing, etc.

TKTS: yes, I plan to go there. We did see The Producers, actually twice. Once in NY and once in Tulsa, Okla. Great show. I think we may opt for Mama Mia.

We have one of the "Obstructed" balcony rooms on deck 8, and I noticed that you had the same. How are the rooms? We are in 8089. MY TA is requesting a table for us beneath the vertical tapestry in the Britania.

Grace

Peter: thanks for info re restaurants. Asian is our favouite, and years ago a most memorable meal was at a place in Chinatown in NY. Then as we were just wandering around that area, we came across Little Italy and there was a festival going on with a parade of the virgin Mary, foods, dancing, etc.

TKTS: yes, I plan to go there. We did see The Producers, actually twice. Once in NY and once in Tulsa, Okla. Great show. I think we may opt for Mama Mia.

We have one of the "Obstructed" balcony rooms on deck 8, and I noticed that you had the same. How are the rooms? We are in 8089. MY TA is requesting a table for us beneath the vertical tapestry in the Britania.

Grace

Well, both TAO and Ruby Foo are pretty 'modern' Asian depending on your tastes - Ruby Foo we just showed up, but TAO we booked - it featured in Sex & The City two years back so is still quite 'hot'.

Mama Mia is a hoot - I saw it in London - the story is cleverly targetted at a 40-something audience who remember the songs from first time around.

The obstructed balcony was absolutely fine for a Trans Atlantic - there is nothing to see for most of the voyage and its only a step outside for fresh air. One thing to watch out for is if you are first sitting you will be dining as the QM2 sails away - If I was I'd skip dinner & go to one of the Kings Court venues on the first night once you are past the Verazzano Narrows Bridge.

Have a great crossing!

Peter

The Port Authority Bus Terminal takes up two blocks between 40th and 42nd Streets, along 8th Ave. It won't be a long cab ride to the pier. Don't walk it. It's four Avenue blocks to the west and depending on where you exit the Bus Terminal (either at 41st or 42nd) 7-8 blocks north.

Ruby Foos:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11351521/new_york_ny/ruby_foo_s.html?

When I got off the March 9th cruise of QM2. I walked from the pier to Grand Central with 2 pieces of luggage. I can be done. The Port Authority bus terminal is alot closer than Gran Central. My luggage as rollers and a pull our handle I hooked the carry on, onto the big piece. If I had to carry the luggage instead of just pulling them, it would of been a different story. When I got off. There was a long line to get cabs, and no cabs were coming. I walked over to 11th street to get a cab, and could not fin one. So I just kept walking.

>"When I got off. There was a long line to get cabs, and no cabs were coming."

I disembarked that day as well. Part of the problem with lack of cabs was the weather; it was very cold and the day after a bad snow storm. Hopefully in the warmer weather, it won't be quite as difficult.

Jane in PHL

take elevator to ground level,cross street and get cab in the uptown direction. much,much easier than waiting in line.even if your direction is downtown,cab easily turns around!cabs to port authority take 5-10-minutes unless it is rush hour. don't walk-too far and will ruin your wheels.all previous restaurants are good choices,but there are 10 per block--you won't go hungry.

take elevator to ground level,

But before you leave the terminal - make sure you get a photo of the QM2's bow - its spectacular, possibly her best 'side' and its the only opportunity on the trip to get one....and if you wait for a taxi you'll have time to take plenty!

Peter

Archived