Poker on Celebrity or Princess?

BeachyBrowns

Hey all,

DW and I are thinking about a new cruise line experience, and we've pretty much narrowed it down to Celebrity or Princess. Can anyone report on the Texas Hold 'Em to be played on either of those two lines? She and I really love to play, and we want to be on a ship where there will be interest. On Freedom of the Seas a couple of years ago, it was hard to get a game going -- the same 10 people played every night, and if some of them didn't want to play, the game didn't go. Conversely, the Carnival Dream was a great ship for poker. Anyone played on Princess or Celebrity, especially on Caribbean sailings?

Looking forward to hearing your stories! Thanks!

Like already said it really depends on the crowd that comes on the ship.

My last Princess cruise in November there was a very active group of players and I never had trouble finding a good game.

Good to hear. Was it no-limit hold 'em on your ship, or was it limit?

I personally have never seen a limit game spread on a ship, always no-limit.

I guess if you had enough players you could try and get a limit game started.

No, I want to play no-limit; I was just getting scary information that the only game spread on Caribbean Princess was 3-6 limit. Glad to hear that's incorrect!

I would check out the rake on each of the lines you plan to cruise, I cant remember what they are for the various lines but some of them are insanely high and that will scare off many of the players.

I would check out the rake on each of the lines you plan to cruise, I cant remember what they are for the various lines but some of them are insanely high and that will scare off many of the players.

Poker on Princess is done on the poker pro tables, from memory (I may be a little off) it was a 15% rake to $10 max, insane figure.

You can however get a game going in one of the card rooms if you can find enough people, we have done this on a number of cruises.

Poker on Princess is done on the poker pro tables, from memory (I may be a little off) it was a 15% rake to $10 max, insane figure.

You can however get a game going in one of the card rooms if you can find enough people, we have done this on a number of cruises.

I always carry my copags with me just in case.

On one Alaska cruise it was always the same group of players, so after the first couple nights that's exactly what we did. It also allowed us to play stud and omaha and have our own private tournaments. That was a fun group.

The Poker Pro rep has emailed me to say that all Poker Pro tables on Carnival Corp's ships (incl. Princess ships) are capped at a $6 rake. That's how it was on Carnival Dream; I hope it's the same on Princess.

I always carry my copags with me just in case.

On one Alaska cruise it was always the same group of players, so after the first couple nights that's exactly what we did. It also allowed us to play stud and omaha and have our own private tournaments. That was a fun group.

I've seen several posts that have mentioned this possibility. Did you bring chips as well? What stakes did you play? Where on the ship did you have your "home game"? Did you get any looks askance from the crew?

Archived