Jewel Questions

rs12065

We are considering a cruise on the Jewel in December 2103. This will be our first cruise on NCL.

First, I read in Cruise Critic's own review of the Jewel that chairhogging anywhere near the pool is worse than on many other ships (i know, I know, we can always find a chair somewhere away from the pool, etc, etc.). Have other cruisers experienced this as well?We have recently returned from a cruise on the Allure and chairhogging was a nonissue.

Second, how rough/calm are the waters (in general, I know storms can not be helped), in good weather when you first enter the gulf?

Any constructive replies would be much appreciated.

We are considering a cruise on the Jewel in December 2103. This will be our first cruise on NCL.

First, I read in Cruise Critic's own review of the Jewel that chairhogging anywhere near the pool is worse than on many other ships (i know, I know, we can always find a chair somewhere away from the pool, etc, etc.). Have other cruisers experienced this as well?We have recently returned from a cruise on the Allure and chairhogging was a nonissue.

Second, how rough/calm are the waters (in general, I know storms can not be helped), in good weather when you first enter the gulf?

Any constructive replies would be much appreciated.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship with a great crew. The chair hogging is very similar to Royal, Princess, Carnival and some land resorts. NCL implemented a new procedure for chair hogs called the "Blue Dots". If you are away from your chair for more than about 45 minutes, you lose your towel. From other posts, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I can't predict what the seas will be like, but I can tell you that when the weather and seas are calm, you will feel almost no motion from the Jewel.

Plus by the time 2103 comes around, we may have a climate shift. :)

I was on the Jewel last year for the week after Thanksgiving. I did not have a problem getting a chair once. To be honest, the only issue was finding a seat in the buffet for lunch.

The seas were also pretty calm during our trip, but of course you never know.

The world is supposed to be over in less than 3 months so it's probably a moot point. ***

But, to answer your question, North Atlantic seas can be flat to 40 feet. Bring some Meclizine or your anti-emetic of choice just to be safe.

Entering the Gulf isn't usually an issue at all. By the 2nd day, the blue dot enforcers should be in place. :)

*** I'm not paying too much attention and I'm still booking cruise after cruise ;)

Archived