How early can I get a Golf Cart for Nathan

theverro

I just returned this week, and we were the literally in the first five or ten people off the ship, and were in our cart and on the way by 7:20 or 7:30. We could see the carts form our cabin and they were in place and ready for us before we were cleared to disembark! Hope you have as much fun as we did!

Eddie did you have a map to follow so as to know how to get around the island...or did you just wing it? Did you stop at any beaches and snorkel or swim? Did you come back and eat at the ship or locally...hmmmm maybe I should have said...Hey Eddie what did you guys do that was so much fun :)

The lady at the carts did give us a map, but it was not very good. I had expected that going in thanks to reading this board and I had printed a map off the Internet. The maps are helpful to know where things to see are, but it would be very difficult to get lost. We drove down several dirt roads just to see where they went and never came close to losing our bearings.

We picked up our cart and headed out to Governors Beach. We were the only people on the beach. We walked the beach and took photos and hung out a few minutes before heading to the lighthouse, taking our time and stopping for photos of the potcakes (stray dogs) and cattle and burros. We were the only ones at the light house and we took our time exploring and taking photos. We hiked along the coast line trails around the point and past the abandoned US Navy base that is adjacent. We left as several van loads arrived at the same time. We then drove down the opposite coast from the ship and took several dirt roads to great views. We then cut across near one of the Salinas and came out near the Front street shopping area in Cockburntown. We went to the national museum and met some very nice ladies working there who provided a wonderful tour of the museum. We then went to Jack's shack and ate lunch and met up with some other members of our group. We then drove a few of them around and found an empty beautiful beach near the Bohio (sp?) dive resort. We stayed there a few minutes then returned to Jack' and ferried our group back to the cruise center before turning the cart in and heading back to the ship.

We were on the island from 7:20 until 12:30 and had a very nice time. We are not lay on the beach people and are very interested in history and the island beyond the cruise center. I have read that there is nothing on the island and that you should just take a cab to the lighthouse. I could not disagree more. I loved the freedom to go where I wanted and found plenty to do in the short time that the ship is at Grand Turk. The north side coast is gorgeous overlooking the reefs, and you can make whatever you want of the day away from the crowds at Margaritaville. Remember there are no boring places, only boring people!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo Eddie. We were off the ship by 7:10 or so and the carts were there waiting for us. Literally you could not really get lost. We went from the cruise ship to the lighthouse, which is at the other end of the island in approx 30 minutes. You could sightsee and just putter around the island. We drove along the seawall, dodged a few cows and horses along the way. We were at Governors Beach by about 10:30 and then spent several hours there before reboarding. Just remember drive British (on the left)

Archived