The Truth About Tipping

P&OMAN

I prepay tips. Done. One less thing to worry about. I'm on vacation. Never had bad service because of prepaid tips.

What the cruise line does, what the cabin steward tips out or does not tip out, what the work issues are, how much they're making, the hours that they work is NOT my concern.

I don't worry about what the secretary at the local high school is making, what my doctor is making, what the gas station attendent is making and on and on and on......why are we so concerned with the cruise line employees? Why do we think it's our business? :o

I prepay tips. Done. One less thing to worry about. I'm on vacation. Never had bad service because of prepaid tips.

What the cruise line does, what the cabin steward tips out or does not tip out, what the work issues are, how much they're making, the hours that they work is NOT my concern.

I don't worry about what the secretary at the local high school is making, what my doctor is making, what the gas station attendent is making and on and on and on......why are we so concerned with the cruise line employees? Why do we think it's our business? :o

The answer to your question is quite easy.

Unlike all other traditional forms of compensation for products and services*, the service personnel on cruise ships are virtually entirely directly compensated with the money that has traditionally been called a tip or gratuity. Like it or not, the cruise line has hijacked those terms, and changed what they mean. In the traditional sense, tips or gratuities were given in person, in cash, as a thanks for a job well done, and in many instances on a case-by-cases basis, very much depending on the personal interaction between the tipper and the tippee as those services were provided.

Even though what happens now is very much a service charge and not a tip, that personal involvement portion of the transaction still remains attached, and that is why many, if not even most people still feel personally involved in what happens to the money that they give as tips.

* The "traditional form of compensation" is this: The provider of the product or the service buys the raw materials and hires the labor needed to provide the customer with the desired end products and services. The provider pays for the materials and labor, and then charges the consumer of the products and services a fee from which comes that cost, plus a profit. This is completely different than the business model for the service staff on a cruise ship.

Theron

I think these stewards are playing games with the nosy people. I know I would, making it a game to help pass the weeks. Seems some cruisers attempt to befriend these hard working people like they are some long lost relative. Or they are trying to be charitable to feel better in some way.

I just try to be polite and respectful. First thing we tell the steward when we meet for the first time is "Relax, we will not be a pain in the butt" and not wave half a $50 bill in their face commanding that our ice bucket be filled 24/7.

I don't try to be their friend, but, since we typically *do* ask for an egg crate right away, and that the ice bucket be filled once a day, we do give extra money at the beginning of the cruise. I suppose I feel that, since we ARE being pains in da butt on their busiest day, they will at least know we don't intend to stiff them! ;-)

We also leave the tips intact, and leave extra at the end. The amount at the end depends, somewhat, on the level of service given. Attentiveness spurs us to tip more, but attentiveness AND friendly interactions will net the most.

Archived