crew wages?

vols159

Not necessarily so. In these troubled financial times, the world over, a job is a job. Many have taken positions which are not ideal in order to remain employed, including me.

What do you do and how much do you make :)

And its not really rude just curiosity

I was a teller at a bank in Merritt Island, Florida....near the closest mall/Walmart/commercial area outside Port Canaveral. The ships used to only come to port on two days then, and we staffed extra tellers because they would bring HUGE deposits in. Easily 4 times what I was making as a teller assuming it was a once a week deposit. It was 2002.

The deposits couldn't have possibly been for one week as the crew doesn't get off the ship every week. Just think about it.

This is hilarious! From where do people get this nonsense??? All kidding aside, I hope if any one knows the answer to this unbelievably rude question they keep it to themselves. It's no one's business.

I am not understanding how this was a rude question. The OP did not ask how much Bob the stateroom attendant on the Carnival Whatever made. The OP asked the wages for an industry. I work in technologies and every year research companies publish average salary ranges for technology jobs in different parts of the country. I would agree that had the OP asked about Bob's salary then that would have been rude but the OP did not do that.

Just my opinion.

And Im sure you have never served in the military and are not aware of what we make or our living conditions. And what we do is not for any amount of money but is does allw you to enjoy your cruise vacation.

Do you know some sailors in the Navy HOT RACK. They dont even get their own quaters or bed. and the food we have to eat cruisers would complain about,

Also what the room stewards on a cruise ship make is alot more than we made. We never got tips.

Dont even get me started on what the Marines I served with sleep in and the food we ate. But we all made a choice to protect our great country.

Stop feeling sorry for these cruise employees they made a choice to make alot more money than they would have ever made at home.

ditto!!

my sil is in the navy-subs...and the conditions...well, let's just say :eek: i don't feel sorry for any of these crew employees except the fact that they have to leave their families...oh wait, so does our military....and anyone else that has to travel for a living.

i personally think they are paid a decent wage all things considering. it's like my friends house up north, she has a tiny, old, dated house that's been appraised at over 1 million dollars. here in my home state, that same house might be worth $100k. location location location. so maybe making $4k a month does not seem like a lot to some, but considering what their costs are at home, may not be a bad deal.

All the rhetoric and arguments on this thread provide very little insight on the original intent of the post.

Here are some facts for you to consider.

The crew on the ships have a union that specifies pay, hours, contract terms, discipline procedures, sexual harassment, etc. If the crew chooses to allow the contract to be violated, that is their choice, and some benefit from their flexibility. No different than in the USA.

Many of you who are posting have varied opinions of the conditions these people work under, but are not aware of the actual conditions or rules and regulations.

It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Some "benefits" you just can't put a price on :D

I love my job. I work hard. Where else are you going to learn to hog tie a combative psych or identify CDiff by smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricia...I spent 7 years in the Army as a medic (including a fun year in Viet Nam). I joined the Navy after the Army stint but found I really missed the excitement of ambulance calls (which I did for 3 of my seven years in the Army). Anyway, I called a local ambulance company here in San Diego who held the contract for the city. They offered, if memory serves, a whole $10.50 a hour. I couldn't believe they paid so little for so much responsibility! With two little ones at home I just couldn't do it but I am jealous of you. It really can be a fun job and every day is different.

For Mr. Pete...I make $106,000 as an Operations Analyst. I'd be happier in an ambulance though.:confused:

The crew on the ships have a union that specifies pay, hours, contract terms, discipline procedures, sexual harassment, etc. If the crew chooses to allow the contract to be violated, that is their choice, and some benefit from their flexibility. No different than in the USA.

It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Sources please? I think that most cruise workers are NOT union members. For example, there was this- http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/07/articles/crew-member-rights-1/carnival-fires-150-crew-members-from-india-for-protesting-low-cruise-ship-wages/

Tricia...I spent 7 years in the Army as a medic (including a fun year in Viet Nam). I joined the Navy after the Army stint but found I really missed the excitement of ambulance calls (which I did for 3 of my seven years in the Army). Anyway, I called a local ambulance company here in San Diego who held the contract for the city. They offered, if memory serves, a whole $10.50 a hour. I couldn't believe they paid so little for so much responsibility! With two little ones at home I just couldn't do it but I am jealous of you. It really can be a fun job and every day is different.

For Mr. Pete...I make $106,000 as an Operations Analyst. I'd be happier in an ambulance though.:confused:

I love my job. It is so amazing to make a positive impact on someone everyday whether through our treatment or just holding a patients hand or making someone's grandma comfortable during their transport to hospice. I consider it a great honor and very humbling to be a patient advocate. The pay is crap but I enjoy what i do so much that I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Nursing school is on the horizon. I won't be making such crappy pay forever and the experiences I've had are really priceless.

I am jealous of you. I have always wanted to join the military but I am not military material.

Have you ever considered working part time on an ambulance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever hear of Google ??

Uh- you made a claim and I was asking for your sources. I did google, and what I saw suggested that in fact most workers were NOT union. There is a union which turns up with google- ITF- but it doesn't sound like many cruise ships allow this. They are not required to- in fact many cruise ships refuse to use union workers at docks and this has caused some significant problems in a number of places.

Uh- you made a claim and I was asking for your sources. I did google, and what I saw suggested that in fact most workers were NOT union. There is a union which turns up with google- ITF- but it doesn't sound like many cruise ships allow this. They are not required to- in fact many cruise ships refuse to use union workers at docks and this has caused some significant problems in a number of places.

Again no unions :)

Call it what you like, but the ILO and IMO set standards. The crew has representation, and I call that a union.

Did you read the link I provided? Doesn't sound like a lot of protection to me. They may set standards but who is it that says they have to be met? Union representation requires agreement between employers and employees. There is none. The cruise line will just fire them. End of problem.

I am not saying it is good or fair. But at this point, it just is.

Only thing I have to say on this, and why are so many people assuming the staff are from impoverished countries? Not all of them are from the US but I know someone from the continental US who recently got a job on a cruise ship (not sure how much he makes).

The money he makes supports him though and he doesn't send it to family "back home". Just saying. Making assumptions based on what a person looks like or an accent, or what country they are from is just wrong. Just because a person is from somewhere doesn't mean they still live there.

Only thing I have to say on this, and why are so many people assuming the staff are from impoverished countries? Not all of them are from the US but I know someone from the continental US who recently got a job on a cruise ship (not sure how much he makes).

The money he makes supports him though and he doesn't send it to family "back home". Just saying. Making assumptions based on what a person looks like or an accent, or what country they are from is just wrong. Just because a person is from somewhere doesn't mean they still live there.

They wear signs. And I chat with them about their home countries- I have traveled to many of them. There are very few USA citizens working in most jobs onboard. Particularly in the service positions- room stewards, waiters, etc. This is not an assumption but based on both personal experience and also everything I have read.

Very good chance that your friend hired onto the NCL Pride of America- the only cruise ship to be flagged in the US in 50 years. A very different work experience from everything one reads.

Wow....you sound like a delightful human being.... Hope he was reported??? Assuming his sister really was in a bad accident, is it so hard to imagine that he couldn't hold himself together? I hope you never have a painful personal experience that interferes with your work. (Okay, maybe I do. I just love karma! :D)

You have no idea what my life experiances have been. I can gaurantee they have not all been roses.

I did not say one should not be sympathetic in ones time of need for emotional support. I said it was innappropriate a steward to use his crises as a means of financial gain.

If a steward was having an off or emotional day and shared with me that his sister was in an accident and causing him distress, I would be very sympathetic and offer emotional support. I would even be inclined to offer more financial support than usual because I could myself deduce that adding to his income could help out his cause.

If a steward told me he needed extra financially to help out his family, that is putting me on the spot, regardless of the reason.

Being guilted into an action is making myself a victim. The one thing I have learned in what you presume was a worry free life, is that I will not allow myself be a victim. Don't judge me. If you knew me you would see I am not the callus and unsympathic person you believe me to be.

Maybe that is a bit harsh to misstopgun, as I also read it as a ploy to get a little extra. I cannot believe that any contract would not have a clause for compassionate leave for something like an accident but I am sure someone will put me right;).

I have seen and heard things like this time and time again on my world travels and the last part is always to do with give me money.

Gosh a neighborhood business literally 10 minutes from mine here in sunny Floirda, had non English speaking, Vietnamese workers pushing pieces of paper over the desk to the clients saying my aunt/sister/cousin is ill in Vietnam and needs cash please give some to me.......WTH!

Needless to say some of their clients are now using my place. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when one of our new clients told us what was going on and when I heard it the 4th time from a new client, I just though you couldn't make this up!

Thank you Celticgirlcruiser. I see you get it. I have no hard feelings against Carribean though as by the post, it is obvious to me she has never been in the trenches. I hope she never will.

Archived