Cruise Bashing?

mj

Most people I know say to me "another cruise" My DH and I were married on a cruise 4 years ago,:) So cruising is special to us. We go to Myrtle Beach for 10 days every summer to get a pre-crusie tan:rolleyes: , And the deciding where to eat and waiting in the long lines make me want to be cruising even more.

We are going on a cruise this summer for my parents 50th anniversary and I cannot think of another type of vacation that will offer so many choices for our group ranging from ages 5-74:D

I have never received negative feedback from other when this topic comes up. I have actually talked some into trying it and they loved cruising. They were hooked after the first one.

I do not like land based vacations. I hate riding in a car and dealing with airports unless I have to. Plus packing and unpacking to move to different locations. NOt for me. Give me a ship anyday.:)

Beachfront? I'm envious.

:D I gave up trying to justify my reasons for cruising, so I just don't tell anybody I'm going on a cruise anymore...only my son, and that's so he can water my plants and take care of my cat.

My best friends go to the same resort in the Smokey Mountains every fall...and have for 20+ years. I never understood that, but they never understood my love of the ocean. (Guess that's why I live beachfront, and they live in the woods ten miles away from the Gulf.):rolleyes:

Nobody's business, and I'm too old to let it matter what anybody thinks anyway. To each their own.

Our first cruise was in October and the next one is in September, 2006. I know, I know some of you are thinking "How can she wait so long?" ;)

Well, we also take land vacations each year. In October, we go to the Outer Banks, we visit our MD and DE beaches, go to NY, etc.

I'm getting the impression after reading all of these posts that you cruise exclusively, no land vacations, am I correct? :confused:

halos, So funny! I'm a Cancerian, and our dog was webbed feet. ;)

Well, now I'm envious of you and Cotton. We're 2.5-3 hrs from the Atlantic, but the Chesapeake Bay is 10 minutes away, and the almost daily dog park has a lake and a reservoir, so I always get my "water fix".

know personally for my entire family, we are all water people...we are all water signs (2 Cancers and a Picese :) ) and I share my life with a breed of dog that has webbed feet.

Madelinerose,

For the 1st 39 yrs of my life I did only land based vacations ;) . My best friends family has a beach house in north myrtle beach that I can use anytime (almost) and my in laws are building their retirment home in the Mountains of tennesse it should be finished anytime now. So yes now for my paying vacations I cruise :D

Up in our neck of the woods, a lot of people like ski vacations. I tried skiing once, on my HS senior class trip, and quit when I fell off the tow rope on the bunny slope. As an earlier poster said, to each his own. Most folks reply with "Oh, wow!" when I tell them of our vacation plans.

Our first cruise was in October and the next one is in September, 2006. I know, I know some of you are thinking "How can she wait so long?" ;)

Well, we also take land vacations each year. In October, we go to the Outer Banks, we visit our MD and DE beaches, go to NY, etc.

I'm getting the impression after reading all of these posts that you cruise exclusively, no land vacations, am I correct? :confused:

For me, that is not always the case. I enjoy land vacations as well and am looking into going to London in 2006. I agree that cruising is not for everyone and that is fine. Cruising is my favorite type of vacation and I enjoy the beautiful weather, beaches, and most of all the ship.

:D

My best friends go to the same resort in the Smokey Mountains every fall...and have for 20+ years. I never understood that, but they never understood my love of the ocean. (Guess that's why I live beachfront, and they live in the woods ten miles away from the Gulf.):rolleyes: .[/quote:cool: ]

Many many people have a cabin up north where I'm from. and they go every weekend and summer holiday and then some. And I've never figured that out either.

I'm more nomadic, so it appeals to me the roaming from port to port.

Couple that with value, and only unpacking once but moving around to different countries and experinces all sorts of cultures! It's a win win!

When we first cruised it was to visit the islands and see where we would like to stay for a whole week!! we've found a few super islands for that..however...

we are looking at a spring Roatan vaca in 06, i have sticker shock....$925 per just for airfare!!! yikes!!! for a few hundred more I can have a balcony and basically all inclusive!

I'm currently planninG A LAND based vaca and it will be more $$ for the 11 days than a suite on a carnival. makes you wonder.....

I'm paying upwards of $150 for lodging nightly, and those are fairly modest hotels and rooms. that don't include anything but the room and toilet paper!!!

This doesn't make it too hard to get hooked on cruising!

Just as we LOVE cruising, we don't understand how anyone could get excited about going camping or on ski vacations year after year after year.

To each his own :)

I can say that cruising is for everyone. We were able to get my wife on one last year even though she is not big into swimming, hates boats and gets some motion sickness. As you can see we leave this Sunday on the Valor and have started to discuss our next one. We are hooked, but from my personal experience i didn't realise how great it all was until it was experienced. I for one find it alot more expensive then other week long vacations but the places you can go make it all worth while. I plan to sprinkle in some land based vacations to places i can't cruise to but will always look forward to the next ship!! :D

Once I cruised I was addicted. I usually use long weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas) for land based vacations. As other posters have stated it's quite more expensive to go on a 7 night land based vacation than to cruise. I love Disney World. So I try to go there every four or five years. I like amusement parks so I usually purchase a Six Flags season pass which is good at all the Six Flags parks in the US. I live in Texas and there's 3 parks in Texas w/in 3 to 4 hour drive from DFW. So it's easy to maintain my passion for rollercoasters.

My biggest dilemna is vacation days. After 10 years at one company I found another job. I have 10 days now. I have another 2 years before I'll have 15 days. So for right now I take 1 cruise a year. Does anyone have any vacation days I can have? LOL!!

I think cruising is a great value and great fun. However, I can understand the negative reactions. My brother has been on umpteen cruises, yet has never been to Europe. After a while, all the islands look the same, and all the excursions are similar. Maybe some people think cruising is not as cultured. Cruising is fun, but it's definitely not as cultured as visiting the Louvre or taking in the wonders of St. Peter's.

Choosing to cruise for your vacation each year is no different than people that buy a motorhome and go rv'ing every year. Or people that buy a timeshare in Disney and go there every year. The advantage that we have is that we see different places each time. We can cruise on any number of ships which can be very different and in any body of water in any part of the world. I think that we will all agree that no 2 cruises are the same, but all are good.

Ditto for Snowball's reply. Unless it comes up in conversations, we don't mention it any more. It's usually from people that have never cruised. It's funny that someone from where my wife works said she would never want to cruise. Her husband then won a cruise as a bonus at work. She liked it, and he earned another one the next year as a bonus. He was then promoted, taking him out of the pool for eligibility for earning another. They just got back from that second bonus cruise. Near the end of it, they were so depressed at the thought of it ending that they booked another cruise on board! Obviously they 'got it'.:)

go on so many cruises. I am middle income person, we have raised and have sent 3 kids through college. I used to tell them what a bargain cruising was and they should try it, they couldn't believe that someone could go on so many cruises... So now when someone asks how we can afford it, I just tell them I'm wealthy and watch their expression as I walk away.

Thanks for that! (As I am now wiping away my drink I just spit out all over my screen :) ). That was truly classic! and I will be stealing that one since I am asked the very same question!!

This just in!!!

People are wierd.

Some have probably never been on a cruise and don't want to go or understand why you would. Some may be jealous. Some just like to rain on other peoples parades. The other extreme is people who obsess over cruises and message boards. I've seen some who have over 10,000 posts on this board. Wierd.

Whatever the reason, you enjoy your cruises and if others don't like it, that's their loss and more room for us.

If I had a dollar for every time a co-worker said "you're going on a cruise again???" I'd be able to cruise more often. :p I think the reasons for saying that varies - some I think are jealous because they never do a big vacation, and others just don't understand why you would cruise every year - they just don't get the addiction.

It gets to the point where you don't even want to tell them. But I don't let it lessen my excitement - it's their issue, not mine. :D

I get the same crap from my coworkers. They tell me "Oh You must be rich" Yet they go to Hawaii every year. Whats the difference I ask?

I'm a cruise a holic and proud of it.

Archived