Things we did not need on our cruise

l8cruiser

I take a small bag with meds in it. Between my parents and myself, and kids when they go, we always use 3-5 meds in the bag, but which ones we use vary from cruise to cruise.

Also, I'm sorry the OP didn't enjoy his balcony due to "coughing and hacking" from the balcony next door. My mom has lung cancer, and we are going soon... we get a balcony cabin for her because she can't handle too much and gets exhausted. We *thought* that balcony allows her to enjoy her time and such without getting too exhausted or bothering others, but apparently people can't even handle a little coughing fit from someone on the next balcony. Mom has COPD and is missing half a lung. I am certain that the people next to you on their balcony would have been perfectly happy to trade their health for your balcony. Think about that.

I am terribly sorry about your mom, but you may want to reread what op said. They were SMOKING...and spitting. Which lead to hacking. That is not enjoyable!

I take a small bag with meds in it. Between my parents and myself, and kids when they go, we always use 3-5 meds in the bag, but which ones we use vary from cruise to cruise.

Also, I'm sorry the OP didn't enjoy his balcony due to "coughing and hacking" from the balcony next door. My mom has lung cancer, and we are going soon... we get a balcony cabin for her because she can't handle too much and gets exhausted. We *thought* that balcony allows her to enjoy her time and such without getting too exhausted or bothering others, but apparently people can't even handle a little coughing fit from someone on the next balcony. Mom has COPD and is missing half a lung. I am certain that the people next to you on their balcony would have been perfectly happy to trade their health for your balcony. Think about that.

Wow - what you are talking about with your mom is TOTALLY different than what the OP was refering to....

Also found out hanging a damp swim suit over the door of the fridge then closing the door dries it! That fridge produces enough heat to dry the darn thing quickly!

that is a great tip! Thanks for the idea (I hate trying to put on a damp bathing suit!).

Also we did not need to take all of the over the counter meds for every situation. We did take aspirin thank goodness "Ocho Rios" roll eyes. It would be cheaper to purchase one med onboard than trying to bring meds from home to cover every possible illness.

Losing my cruiseginity Sept.16 ,2012 "Chuck"

Agreed with most of your items, but did disagree with this one.:o I've always been that way though. I always pack with the "what if" mentality with medication because that's one thing I don't want to need and not have. When my son was a baby/toddler his diaper bag/back pack ALWAYS had medicine for... fever, diaper rash, colic, a thermometer, congestion/nasal aspirator, anti itch cream and I can't remember what all else

(He's 25 now:p) I still pack for hubby and I the same way ( not the same items, but the same principal :rolleyes:.) especially when cruising where you can't get to a store and the prices on board are outrageous .... :rolleyes::):o

Also to clear things up, I mistakenly said my wife in my post. No I did not take my wife and gf on the same cruise lol. I meant to say gf instead of wife.

It would depend on how well your wife and your gf get along, really. If they travel well together, you could even save money by adding a third person to the cabin. ;) If not, well, I guess you will just have to take the wife on one cruise, and the gf on another one. Not a half-bad idea actually.... :cool:

It would depend on how well your wife and your gf get along, really. If they travel well together, you could even save money by adding a third person to the cabin. ;) If not, well, I guess you will just have to take the wife on one cruise, and the gf on another one. Not a half-bad idea actually.... :cool:

Like!

I'm going to go through my pre-cruise list and mark things off of it that we didn't use on our recent cruise too!

We didn't take the over the door thingy - and wouldn't have needed it for the 2 of us. Plenty of space in the bathroom.

We really could probably have gotten by w/o the power strip because we didn't use any electronics except my flat-iron & Kindle (& it stayed powered the whole trip).

We wore most of what we took, but probably could have gotten by w/less clothes. Three bathing suits were nice to have though.

We took a small pop up hamper for dirty clothes, and that was handy.

We didn't use the playing cards (too busy).

Never drank the 1 bottle of wine we lugged on board! :rolleyes:.

We took about 12 cokes and drank all but 2.

We DID use the insulated cups we brought. They were great poolside - we filled them up at breakfast w/tea, and didn't have to worry the rest of the day (we had a 16 oz & 20 oz size). We very rarely drink alcohol.

We took 2 small cheap towels from home to use on our onshore excursions that didn't provide towels. So much easier to carry in our backpacks than the big Carnival towels.

We did use the highlighter - but you could just as easily use a pen.

We did use SOME of our medicine and bandaids. Mostly asprin, tylenol PM, and some throat lozenges (the salt water can make your throat hurt!)

We each had the toe-shoe watershoes - and didn't really use them except when we did the ropes course on the Magic. They are just too hard to get on & off - especially when your feet are wet! We mostly wore flip-flops.

Hubby took 1 pair dressier shoes (they are like a casual loafer made by crocs), a pair of flip flops & the toe shoes. I took 1 pr croc flip-flops (and lost one on the beach at Jamaica when it floated off in the ocean when I left it too close to the water - had to buy another cheap pair), 1 pr toe shoes (rarely used - would rather have tennis shoes unless I'm doing an excursion in the water - like climbing the falls in Jamaica or something similar), 1 pr low dress heels to go w/all my outfits (silver ones) and 1 pr casual sandles that could also be worn poolside if I wanted because they were crocs.

We did use our snorkel equipment, which is a hassle to carry along, but nice to have your own.

We did use clothes pins - to hang our wet things from the clothes line in the shower - they were extremely useful. But, never needed them on the shower curtain.

Took two lanyards for our S&S cards, and that was very useful. We also bought on board the cords for our sunglasses, which we found very useful also, because you are going in & out all the time. Easy to keep our glasses around our necks.

Definately used our small backpacks for taking stuff to the pool & for use onshore as well.

I also took a small purse that matched most of my outfits (that fit over my shoulder) so I could put my S&S card, camera, lipstick, and the nights itenary in it when we went to dinner. I didn't want to wear the S&S card or camera around my neck when I was dressed nicely.

We did get a couple of small bags of candy to take onboard in case we wanted a little something in our room, but found that the candy store on the Magic had the same thing - and just as cheap as Walmart. There is so much to eat onboard - we really didn't need it anyway.

Sorry for misspelled words. My tapatalk will fill in what it wants to sometimes lol.

Also I meant to say that we did not need the Bon Voyage alcohol. Since there were only two sea days ,we did not drink as much as we thought we would. The Tequila caused me to have too much fun in Ocho Rios and made my GF mad at me lol.

Dying to know what happened in Ocho Rios!

We used bungee cord once and found the door stop worked better.

Baggies are great for bringing snacks back from lido for late-night snacks!

Last month on the Freedom there were NO doorstops. Steward said it was a new policy that they were not to leave the doorstops in the room, and would you believe it--first cruise I did not bring the bungee cord :(:(:(

Therefore, I took a book and wedged it in the door to keep it open.

I am terribly sorry about your mom, but you may want to reread what op said. They were SMOKING...and spitting. Which lead to hacking. That is not enjoyable!

Right, I don't know what "spitting" entails, but "smoking, hacking, coughing, spitting, sounding like they were going to choke to death." Well, that's pretty much what mom does. And yes, unfortunately, despite many, many efforts, a full cessation of smoking hasn't occurred. Doctors tell her that, quite honestly, it doesn't much matter at this point. :( But, when you have COPD, especially, the reason you're hacking and coughing is not because you're smoking, it's because your lungs are filled with goop-coughing and hacking brings that up-and then you need to spit. :( It sucks, and I do admit it can sound pretty bad... but I tihnk the way the OP included it in this list is kind of heartless, quite honestly. I wanted the OP to think for a minute is all.

Unfortunately, since Carnival has instituted a "no smoking inside the cabin" policy-those like my mom who WOULD be inside doing what she does-are kind of forced to do so on the balcony. that's not the fault of the people next to the OP. I understand the knee-jerk "eww" reaction to smoking in the cabin, but in some cases, it's preferable to putting those folks on the balconies. KWIM? I know I traveled with them before the smoking ban, and we had a "Smoke Odor" spray that was in-freakin-credible. It was expensive, but it was awesome at removing the smoke. Mom would open the balcony door, and the bathroom and fun the fan-then when done, we'd spray that right before we left. When we'd return to the room, you couldn't smell smoke! I'm not a smoker, and pretty sensitive to smoke odor, and I could barely smell it here and there. So, I do think that it can be cleared from the air.

I don't really mean to start a debate, or whether smoking should be allowed-I just wanted the OP to think about the words he's using, and why those folks are out on their balcony, and how they might feel about it. Though they can control (sort of) smoking, it's doubtful they can CONTROL "coughing, hacking, spitting, and sounding like they're gonna choke to death."

Agreed with most of your items, but did disagree with this one.:o I've always been that way though. I always pack with the "what if" mentality with medication because that's one thing I don't want to need and not have. When my son was a baby/toddler his diaper bag/back pack ALWAYS had medicine for... fever, diaper rash, colic, a thermometer, congestion/nasal aspirator, anti itch cream and I can't remember what all else

(He's 25 now:p) I still pack for hubby and I the same way ( not the same items, but the same principal :rolleyes:.) especially when cruising where you can't get to a store and the prices on board are outrageous .... :rolleyes::):o

Me, too! I can't stand the thought of paying $15 for something I can buy back home for $2! And, not only that-but that I actually already have!

I really did enjoy my overdoor holder. It was nice not having to unpack, just hang it on the door and grab what I needed. I did find it made my suitcase heavy.

Shoes, how many does a girl need for a cruise? I have the hardest time with this. I usually bring tennis shoes in case I want to work out or walk and never seem to end up doing either. I thought about eliminating them but never do.

Medicine, I know one day I will need something I have brought with me.

As long as my bag is under 50lbs I will continue to bring the unneeded stuff. Luckily for me DH's bag is always under 50.

Sarsie,

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I know that must me hard to watch her struggle with that illness. I am sorry that I made a bad choice with my words.

My gf and I had waited a long time to take our cruise and have breakfast on the balcony. We paid an additional 400 dollars for a balcony. We were afraid to use it when the smoker was on his balcony. When you spit, the wind blows it back and in. I hate to be so graphic, but people don't realize or care when they spit off the balcony.

Thanks for this. I always chuckle at the things people will take -- actually say they can't live without -- on vacation. The over-the-door organizer always seemed the most ludicrous to me. Maybe I just don't take that much stuff, or maybe I'm not organized, but that just struck me as something I absolutely DID NOT NEED. And I guess you didn't, either!

I read about the over the door hanger right before a cruise with 5 girls in the same room. It was extremely handy so we could all put our bathroom items, brushes, etc in the pouches and kept our counters clear. I think it would have been a nightmare without it. On other cruises I have been on where there were just 2 or 3 of us in a room it isn't necessary.

Love the over the door organizer because I am a neat freak.. hate searching for "stuff". This time I am bringing a soft sided cooler so we can hit the beach and keep a few things cold. We will not take as much soda (our last cruise we took the kids and came on board with 48 cans of pop.. which was insane!!!!). I love our cooler cups.. and have used them on every trip. I am trying to cut down on the shoes but a vacation is one of the few times (for me) that I can take my time and get ready..We (I) get sucked into getting pictures done which always turn out awesome!!.. We also never fly without our hand held scale after getting pinched heavily for overweight luggage.

I always bring the over the door shoe organizer. Not only do I put some sandals/flip flops in it, I also put lotion, sunscreen, aloe and other things I want to grab right when I am walking out the cabin door. I do tend to overpack (and I am extremely organized) but we drive in so weight is not an issue. I also pack alot of things "in case" for not only my room but for the rest of our group of family and friends. My DS makes fun of me and all the stuff I pack but it doesn't stop him from coming to my room for aloe, aspirin, tape, stickies, sea-sickness pills (during rough sea), bandaids and other stuff. I hate being unprepared and the "MOM" in me wants to take care of everyone in our group. :o :rolleyes:

AHH!! At last someone who thinks like I do :). I am the Mom that is prepared for everything,,I don't mind over packing cause I NEED to be prepared...And my family know "whatever" they need or have forgotten Mom will have,

We always use a power strip and have started using the over the door shoe organizer now that we're cruising with a baby. We don't use a big one, just a basic one with a few pockets from the dollar store. Works well for little baby things that we need on hand, but don't need him getting a hold of.

Crockpot.

:D

Didn't need post-it notes, highlighter, duct tape, or a magnet.

I also didn't need to smuggle a litter of rum (but more Scotch is a different animal).

Thanks for this. I always chuckle at the things people will take -- actually say they can't live without -- on vacation. The over-the-door organizer always seemed the most ludicrous to me. Maybe I just don't take that much stuff, or maybe I'm not organized, but that just struck me as something I absolutely DID NOT NEED. And I guess you didn't, either!

I am an organizing nut! lol...i love love love my over the door shoe hanger and would not travel without it. even when it's just the two of us. It has a handy little pocket for everything. Maybe it depends on the items taken along on the cruise. for me, i have contacts, solution, cases, glasses, sunglasses, prescription sunglasses etc...that alone is a bunch of crap to carry and keep up with. then i store each little bottle of sun block, skin care, lotion etc. Not to mention storing our mp3 players, coozies and anything else that needs a home that's small.

when the little one travels with us, his shoes go in the bottom row because there is never enough room in the closet for our shoes lol.

That way i don't have to dig in a drawer or fight with a tricky "mirrored cabinet door" to open to place items in.

I hate having things out on the counter.

But that's what is great about cruising, we all find something different and fabulous about it and our experiences.

The one thing I have learned that i do not need is an extension cord, or multi plug outlet. Since we don't use our phones-ever-we don't need to charge them. I blow dry my hair (i don't bring that) I only charge my cameras and MP3 player. since I have multiple batteries, I can choose when I'm charging. Never had a problem.

It's funny, the OP mentioned highlighters too...and that's something I take too (and store in my over the door hanger lol) even multiples-pink for me, blue for dh and when kids go with us, i take a color for each of them too. that way they can highlight in their color what they want, i know who is where etc...it keeps the tiny little tear off sheet from the fun times neat and readable.

OK, no one mentioned a dry erase marker for writing notes on the bathroom mirror to each other , or to your cabin attendant.

I don't regret taking that. Besides, it doesn't weigh much, and takes up little space.

Otherwise, pack very lightly. Remember this one thing: people aren't concerned if you wore things once, twice, four times, 'cause they aren't paying attention. They only care about what they look like.

That is, unless you really stand out by looking freakish. If that's the case, pack a different freak outfit for each night/day. ;)

Sarsie,

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I know that must me hard to watch her struggle with that illness. I am sorry that I made a bad choice with my words.

My gf and I had waited a long time to take our cruise and have breakfast on the balcony. We paid an additional 400 dollars for a balcony. We were afraid to use it when the smoker was on his balcony. When you spit, the wind blows it back and in. I hate to be so graphic, but people don't realize or care when they spit off the balcony.

First, thanks for recognizing that.

Secondly, yeah, spitting off the balcony is ... that's just gross and dumb. I didn't realize you were referring to actually spitting *off* the balcony.

Sounds like a story there somewhere.Do tell

I will not go into too much detail, but I will give you the skinny of it.

The normal crew of me, DW, step-brother, SIL going on our normal cruise. My SIL's sister had been married that March and did not go on a vacation, so we invited them. Of course, the hubby can't go on his honeymoon without invited his friends, (2 are twins and I was fine with because my wife and SIL have known them for 20 years). The other 2 was a couple about our age. We are all in the same age range, so that is always nice.

Well, the newlyweds were napping(really) during the day and going to bed at 9 (really sleeping). The other add-ons were ok to be with....until. It started to be a hassle because they couldn't get their acts together, went shopping for shoes before boarding the ship...got on board about 20 minutes before the cutoff. Decided they needed to see a doctor in Mexico, almost missed the ship sailing away. Wanted to see another doctor in the Caymans, close to missing the ship again. My step-brother, with his newly acquired hernia had to run back to the ship, about 1/4 mile, because the excursion was waiting for them to show up. What happens? They hold up as long as they can, the wife decided she was too hung over to come with us and we were trying to get the math straight with the gentleman because my wife and I paid the deposit and we were figuring out the difference for everyone else to pay. That is when the idiot decides to spout out "Don't you understand American f'ing math?". My step-brother pushed him aside, told him to cool off and we paid the man. I found out from the wife at a separate event ,her Army vet husband "has a problem with authority". Another stupid move....enlist into the Army when you can not listen to people. Moron.

I did have a blast on our excursion in the Caymans. I guess he didn't enlist into the Navy because he was GREEN on the small boat to go snorkeling. He was miserable for 4 solid hours and I had a great time. :D

Now, this is the abbreviated version of the 6 day cruise. Imagine what else happened. Ughh. No more cruising for me, when there is more than 4 folks.

I take my over the door shoe organizer everywhere we go for longer than 2-3 days. I hate cluttered spaces and with the organizer hung on the back of the washroom door it was out of sight and the counters were organized. We put everything from deodorant to sunglasses in it. It is made of a very thin plastic with half a coat hanger in the top so it does not take much room at all in the suitcase and certainly does not add any weight.

As for medications, I take some of most everything! Advil, Gravol, Tums, Imodium, antibiotic cream, decongestant, anti-itch stuff, etc. I save up the trial size bottles and transfer out of my larger packets or buy the smallest package available of things I don't usually have on hand, but I would much rather have it on hand if needed than have to pay through the nose for it on the ship knowing I have it sitting at home. Again, those little bottles/packages/tubes don't take up much room or add much weight.

I could have done without having some friends of friends invited. That kinda ruined part of a cruise for me.

I bring 4 pairs of shoes, but I wear them all, I promise. Trying 3 this time.

Too many shirts, I do that a lot. I guess because I am constantly changing clothes that they never get dirty.

I absolutely love the picture in your signature! Is that Cozumel? Never the less, it sure gets me in the "Cruise Mood".

Archived