Goint to Hawaii

silverbird

Can we pre-order leis? On the ship? In our first port? Any and all help or ideas will be gratefully welcomed. Thank you.

The first port is Hilo, there is a building you walk through to get to the buses/taxi's for taking tours. There are several vendors in that building and many sell fresh flower lei's. Hope this helps.:)

The first port is Hilo, there is a building you walk through to get to the buses/taxi's for taking tours. There are several vendors in that building and many sell fresh flower lei's. Hope this helps.:)

Not anymore! There was absolutely nothing for our last two cruises... No ordering of leis on the ship either. When you board, you can see what the florist can do for you.

Not anymore! There was absolutely nothing for our last two cruises... No ordering of leis on the ship either. When you board, you can see what the florist can do for you.

I seem to remember reading that the terminal building was undergoing renovation and that the stands there were moved out for the interim. Was there construction going on when you were there?

Check the Patter for when they will be signing people up for the free lei making classes. Signup is I believe on the first full day at sea. The leis from the classes turn out great - we took ours to the first formal night and had our pictures made with them.

Later in the cruise there is another class to make a souvenir lei - I believe they charge for that class.

I seem to remember reading that the terminal building was undergoing renovation and that the stands there were moved out for the interim. Was there construction going on when you were there?

Actually, the first time, there was just that... nothing. The second time, there was ongoing construction...

As for the leis, I had forgotten about the lei making lessons... As for the ukelele classes, my husband has expressly forbidden me to take them!

Also, there will be hula classes. This is a wonderful ship/cruise for all of the Hawaiian activities!

Also, make sure to go listen to Leialoha and Dave (ELUA). They are wonderful!

I seem to remember the table with the flower arrangements for sale in the building during our last cruise, December 2010.

Here's the schedule for the lei making classes for our last cruise, which may be the same:

1) On the way to Hawaii, classes in orchid lei making. I think there was at least four or so classes, tickets (no charge) available the first or second day of the cruise at the shore excursion desk. A CD staffer supervises the classes. You sit at a table in Sabintinis and are given a long string, a long needle and about 18 or so orchids to string. I recommend keeping your lei in your cabin fridge when not wearing it to prolong its life.

2) On the way back from Hawaii, classes in ribbon making. Same method of ticket distribution, maybe the first day on the way back. When you go into Sabinitinis, someone on the CD staff hands you two long ribbons of different colors and a sheet with instructions. She'll walk around and see if you need any help.

3) The heirloom lei making class. This is the class taught by Leialoha and has a charge (it was $18 two years ago). No reservations needed so no tickets are given.

First of all, I would like to apologize for my typographical error in my original posting. I have arthritis and my typing does not always come out as what I want to say.

Secondly, we are booked on the Golden in March so will be able to ake advantage of Leialoha's classes. Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I really want the lei to place as a remembrance at the Pearl Harbor Memorial; it is a tradition with me. I could not remember from whence the leis came the last two times we were there.

Archived