Labadee excursions- Castaway or Sandbar Island?

Pink_Poodle

I've started doing research for our cruise in December/January with Celebrity.

Our first stop is Labadee, Haiti and I'm looking at two excursions:

The Castaway at Malfini and the Sandbar Island Getaway.

How are they different?

Any recommandations?

How are they different?

Any recommandations?

I'm interested in anyone who has done the sandbar island getaway please share your reviews or photos

• 3 months later...

We went on this excursion Dec 31, 2012. The island was really neat and extremely quiet. A few disclaimers however... Excursion was a total of 2 hours. Of that 2 hours, there was a 30 minute boat ride each way. Your time on the island was 1 hour. Once there, beach mats etc were all for rent only. No snorkels provided. We were told we could walk around the edge of the island, but not the interior because of nasty plants and to spend most of our time within eyeshot of the boat. We were told that the people on the beach selling items were local fishermen who cleaned up the island for the chance to sell their items to us. Of all of our stops, Haiti was the one where we decided that we would never dicker, but I think we were the only ones on our boatload who bought anything. Everyone was on the boat getting ready to leave as one of the fishermen got in a yelling match with the tour's "captain". All not in English, so they may have only been discussing the weather heatedly, but possibly that they hadn't had enough buyers?

I found that it felt really weird and not very relaxing to be playing on the beach with these sellers staring at you - hoping you would come over to buy something.

I would stick to the main area next time. The vendors were very aggressive there though - carving my daughter's name into a shotglass without us really even looking at it - those kind of games... The show in the main square was fun, but they ask for tips after each portion of the performance so have your money ready after each act as I don't think they share... Dancers, gymnasts and fire-eater the day we were there.

How are they different?

Any recommandations?

We were in Labadee, Haiti on Jan 5. This was our 3 time going to Haiti with RCI. We had a fantastic time on Malfini Beach. There were 14 people (including DH and I) on the boat going to Malifini. The beach had shade, chairs, lounge chairs, and floating mats included. There was also a cash bar. It was so quiet and peaceful, we loved it. We did take our own snorkel gear, but DH rated it a 5 or 6 out of 10. The boat ride to Malfini was about 15 minutes.

We thought it was definitely worth the extra money to get away from the hustle and bustle of Labadee. We will be visiting Malfini again, possibly in May.

Check out the attached photo.

image.jpg.a667dc44fa4a74b4cccd55943278a1d9.jpg

• 1 month later...
We were in Labadee, Haiti on Jan 5. This was our 3 time going to Haiti with RCI. We had a fantastic time on Malfini Beach. There were 14 people (including DH and I) on the boat going to Malifini. The beach had shade, chairs, lounge chairs, and floating mats included. There was also a cash bar. It was so quiet and peaceful, we loved it. We did take our own snorkel gear, but DH rated it a 5 or 6 out of 10. The boat ride to Malfini was about 15 minutes.

We thought it was definitely worth the extra money to get away from the hustle and bustle of Labadee. We will be visiting Malfini again, possibly in May.

Check out the attached photo.

Is it true you have to climb out of the boat onto the beach? would you recommend this excursion for someone with limited mobility?

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back last week and we did the Adult Sandbar getaway. I would highly recommend it we had a fabulous afternoon! The crew was great! The boat ride was around 15mins. They had mats to float around on at the Island. There was a cash bar, $4 a beer or 4 for $10 (bud, budlight, corona, prestige). Rum Punch was $4. We thought it was a lot of fun and well worth the price. The views from the water were beautiful, the water was wonderful and it was fun watching all the different Haitan fishermen from a distance.

• 11 months later...

Hello feista,

You don't need to know how to swim to go on the Sandbar Island Getaway. However, you will get a little wet. The boat pull up to a small island and anchors and then flips down a ladder. You will have to climb down the ladder into waist deep water. You can see it a little in the

video of the tour.

I've been on the tour 3 times. It's super fun!

FYI - There are two different versions of it now. The Getaway and the Adult Getaway. They both go to the same island but the adult get away is 15 mins longer. The Getaway is more for families and relaxation. The Adult is 21 and over and more for drinking, partying, dancing, etc.

Hope that helps!