Carnival Magic Picture Review (March 2012)

marlat

After an exciting ride, we finally made it to the Appleton Rum Factory. They took us inside their very nice building where they had a bar and little eating space set up. We got a couple of samples of rum punch before we headed out on our tour.

7043646377_2c7a7afbb7_z.jpg

IMG_8638-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043646745_ae34fb356f_z.jpg

IMG_8639-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043647275_cf86baf3bf_z.jpg

IMG_8640-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

They gave us a quick history about making rum and showed us some of the outdated machinery. I think they might even sometimes have a donkey around, but he didn’t appear to be “working” that day. Lol.

These guys were pretty awesome too:

7043648271_49f84a27d8_z.jpg

IMG_8644-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043648745_78a1e4f32c_z.jpg

IMG_8645-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

6897554198_046ee490b4_z.jpg

IMG_8647-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043649503_c1b24cc024_z.jpg

IMG_8648-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

They had some little babies there too, but they seemed to be hiding way across the yard. Everything was so lush and beautiful!

Love, love, love your picture filled review! Just can't get enough this time of year as we normally cruise late Aug/early Sept! Cruised Magic twice now as Galveston is the closest port. Really enjoy your photography!

Don't feel pressure to finish - especially since you are cruising again in 2 weeks...:p

I am glad I found this thread. My wife and I were on this cruise as well for our 10 year anniversary. It was our 3rd cruise but our first cruise just the 2 of us. Did you happen to get any pics of the Coast Guard helicopter the last night?

No... I think I was in the spa when that was all going on? Or maybe in bed? It's been so long that I barely remember.

At this point, we actually entered the rum factory part of the facility. It was much dirtier than the yard had been and obviously looked like a factory. (Duh.)

6897554842_011747459d_z.jpg

IMG_8653-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043650109_bd85c4a4d2_z.jpg

IMG_8657-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

6897555404_e5e83abd32_z.jpg

IMG_8661-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043650773_74176604b4_z.jpg

IMG_8663-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

It was pretty hot, especially for us Okies who were used to fifty degree temps in March. The tour guide was really good (and had a very nice accent) and gave us the run down of the process that rum goes through.

Of course, I've forgotten much of it at this point and my notes aren't with me right now, but I do remember that it was a really good tour.

Love, love, love your picture filled review! Just can't get enough this time of year as we normally cruise late Aug/early Sept! Cruised Magic twice now as Galveston is the closest port. Really enjoy your photography!

Don't feel pressure to finish - especially since you are cruising again in 2 weeks...:p

Thank you! I really am going to try to finish this time. I feel so bad for just dropping off the planet. :rolleyes: Stinking life getting in the way!

More pictures of the factory:

7043651027_6fff453097_z.jpg

IMG_8664-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

6897556406_61018be27e_z.jpg

IMG_8665-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

6897556980_d83989d1ee_z.jpg

IMG_8669-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

We actually went into the room where they "brewed" the rum. It was SUPER hot (like over 100 degrees), humid, and a bit stinky. The tour guide did most of his talking outside and then we all walked quickly through that part of the tour.

6897557282_abe3d5901a_z.jpg

IMG_8671-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

Next, he took us to a barn-type building where they stored the rum that was aging. Apparently, they have like seven different places where they store rum. If some kind of natural disaster hits, they still have rum somewhere in the country.

Also- fun fact, employees aren't allowed in this room because you can actually get drunk off the fumes if you stand around in there too long! (See I really was listening to the tour guide!)

All in all, I think this part of the tour was about twenty minutes. It was informative, but didn't drag on too long.

We returned back to the "yard" where I took more random pictures:

7043652543_f84339b8b8_z.jpg

IMG_8680-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

6897557954_6396cd4555_z.jpg

IMG_8682-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

Then, it was time for us to go inside and have a little lunch. They served us jerked chicken (which was decent) with some rice (I think). It was a pretty good meal.

Finally, it was time for the part we were really looking forward to- rum tasting!

7043653513_1af9fce42c_z.jpg

IMG_8694-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

They say you get to have a shot of each kind of rum (like twelve in total- I think) but really you can have as much as you want. I'm sure they might cut someone off if a group is getting too out of control, but they let us try as much as we wanted.

I tried like six kinds, but soon realized I was getting a little too tipsy and didn't want to get sick on the bus ride back to the bus. They did have a really good ginger rum that they encouraged everyone to take before the trip back. They said it would sooth your stomach. I felt fine on the way back, so maybe they were right?

7043653241_dd1f163c1a_z.jpg

IMG_8686-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

We soon boarded the "No Worries" bus and headed back to port.

6897558908_e883457eda_z.jpg

IMG_8700-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

The trip back was just as exciting. Actually, probably more so.

7043654189_3ce41f7ff1_z.jpg

IMG_8709-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

I love how colorful all the buildings were.

7043654563_59e6fcde3e_z.jpg

IMG_8716-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

Most of these pictures were shot through the window of our moving bus with my little rebel, so forgive me if they aren't wonderful.

At one point, it started pouring down rain. It actually kinda freaked Colby and I out a bit.

6897559822_d4c33260c5_z.jpg

IMG_8720-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

7043655203_0e7ff2e7bf_z.jpg

IMG_8729-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

The rain was seriously coming down so hard!

6897560490_70b15af67b_z.jpg

IMG_8732-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

But before long, we made it back to the port alive. We were happy to see the ship and ready for another trip to the Spa.

7043658399_d97e4b2fd6_z.jpg

IMG_0407-Edit.jpg by Marla Thrall, on Flickr

We were jumped by a couple of guys who wanted to "take a picture with us." Of course, he later needed a tip. We paid him and rushed away rather quickly. :rolleyes:

(It's time for me to go home, but I promise to rap the rest of the review up rather quickly. This is all the main parts and pictures.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the review. I absolutely loved all the pictures. We have a cruise booked in June for the same itinerary and after seeing your pictures of Mr. Sancho's we will definitely be go there and doing the all inclusive passes. Just curious, did ya'll book the passes ahead of time or did you just go there and buy them? Thanks again for all the wonderful pictures :)

We need the rest of your review, it's great!! I also wanted to know what the couple spa pass for the week is exactly?? Did you get free access to the things you mention in your review or did you pay the $200 something for the week and then have to pay an "as you go" fee for each thing?? I am sooo confused!!! Marla, please help!!

Thank you for the great pictures. We just returned Sunday from the Magic. I know this is too late, but you mentioned getting the same dessert every night. I just wanted you to know you could order a couple meals and/or a couple of desserts. This way you can try things, share with your table, and eat what you enjoy most!

Archived