Back from 05/15/05 Sun Alaskian Cruise

7-day Sawyer Glacier - Norwegian Sun

First of all this was our first cruise. Had a wonderful time on the Sun. No complaints at all. There were 2 minor problems, what is a holiday without a problem or two :).

1) At our first port of call (Kechikan) we ended up sailing around in circles for about 3 hours. Instead of arriving at 6 am we docked at 10:30 am. This was due to the ship manefest not arriving in Kechikan in time. Oh well. We still got our tour Saxman Native Village and some power shopping :D .

2) Sawyer Glacier was great but due to the heavy ice flow we were unable to get close to the glacier. Did not want another Titanic :D .

Weather was great. 1st and last day were rainy but the rest of the days were sunny and warm. If you have any questions I will try to respond to all. Have the Freestyles for the whole trip and will get them scanned as soon as possible.

Welcome back!! We depart in three weeks, and everyone in our group is SO excited! I watched you sail back into Vancouver this morning - the first time I clicked on the webcam, Canada Place was vacant. Then the Sun came into view followed by HAL.

I do have some questions for ya:

- were the batting cages operational (and if so, how much)

- did they have a prediction on how many more weeks Sawyer would be inaccessible (noticed last week's cruise was in the same predicament)

- did you experience Windjammer at night, and if so, was it a good musician?

- was your cabin adequate? (we have 14 in our group scattered around decks 8-10)

- what did you do in your other ports (Skagway, Juneau, Wrangell)?

- do you recall who the captain was?

- I'd love to see your freestyle dailies! Are you going to upload them to a webpage or email them? If emailing, could I have a copy? mandygirltx at yahoo dot com (spaced out to block spammers)

We're definitely planning to visit Le Bistro and il Adagio.

Thanks so much!! :)

7-day Sawyer Glacier - Norwegian Sun

First of all this was our first cruise. Had a wonderful time on the Sun. No complaints at all. There were 2 minor problems, what is a holiday without a problem or two :).

1) At our first port of call (Kechikan) we ended up sailing around in circles for about 3 hours. Instead of arriving at 6 am we docked at 10:30 am. This was due to the ship manefest not arriving in Kechikan in time. Oh well. We still got our tour Saxman Native Village and some power shopping :D .

2) Sawyer Glacier was great but due to the heavy ice flow we were unable to get close to the glacier. Did not want another Titanic :D .

Weather was great. 1st and last day were rainy but the rest of the days were sunny and warm. If you have any questions I will try to respond to all. Have the Freestyles for the whole trip and will get them scanned as soon as possible.

That's really too bad that your time was cut so short in Ketchikan. Who's responsible to getting the ship manefest to the proper authorities? Is this just a list of all passengers? Glad to hear you kept a good attitude and apparently had a wonderful time! Did you run into any rough seas?

That's really too bad that your time was cut so short in Ketchikan. Who's responsible to getting the ship manefest to the proper authorities? Is this just a list of all passengers?

My thoughts exactly about Ketchikan. I know we have independent fishing booked that day from 7-12 with arrival at 6 (tendering). I bet there was some rear-chewing on that little mess-up! I have had the understanding that the manifest is the list of passengers, which one would think would be sent by embarkation date when they know exactly who shows up for the cruise, particularly since Ketchikan is the very first port after leaving Vancouver. Part of that entire pre-registration thing we do online at least two weeks prior to sail date. Or am I way off base? :confused:

Welcome back!! We depart in three weeks, and everyone in our group is SO excited! I watched you sail back into Vancouver this morning - the first time I clicked on the webcam, Canada Place was vacant. Then the Sun came into view followed by HAL.

I do have some questions for ya:

- were the batting cages operational (and if so, how much)

- did they have a prediction on how many more weeks Sawyer would be inaccessible (noticed last week's cruise was in the same predicament)

- did you experience Windjammer at night, and if so, was it a good musician?

- was your cabin adequate? (we have 14 in our group scattered around decks 8-10)

- what did you do in your other ports (Skagway, Juneau, Wrangell)?

- do you recall who the captain was?

- I'd love to see your freestyle dailies! Are you going to upload them to a webpage or email them? If emailing, could I have a copy? mandygirltx at yahoo dot com (spaced out to block spammers)

We're definitely planning to visit Le Bistro and il Adagio.

Thanks so much!! :)

Thank you

- I know the basketball area and the golfing areas were open but do not now the cost.

- Sawyer Glacier - I had heard that it be closed till about July or so, but it is a wonderful cruise up Tracy Arm. This is due the heavy ice flow in Glacier area. Saw many many Ice bergs of different sizes and colours.

- Yes the Windjammer was wonderful. The Pianist was Christian Gagner.

- Our stateroom was great. We were on Deck 4 but had ample room.

- Ketchikan - Saxman Native Village

Juneau - Mendehall Glacier and City Tour

Skagway - Red Light Delight (Loved it)

Wrangell - Enchanted Wrangell Island.

All our shore tours were great and would recomend them.

- The captain is Trygve Vorren

- In a few days I will scan the Freestyle Daily and email them to you.

- Went to the Bistro Saturday night. Oh it was to die for :D. Was so good.

It is NCL's responsibilty to get the manifest to the port. (A list of passenger and crew) Due to the internet been doing for 2 days they could not get it sent out (???) the courier they sent did not into Ketchican until 1030 am Monday with the manifest. They need 24 hours (Homeland Security) so that is why we were delayed. The week before it was HAL that got into the same problem. They are trying to make a point to the cruise lines that security can not be taken lightly. The Captain was very appoligetic about the delay and don't think it will happen again. We did get a extra hour in port :) . Just a minor glitch, we thought it was pretty funny. Every holiday we take something happens.

Sorry but don't have any list of kids activities. We left the kids at home :D .

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your time!

Well, "dangit" with the Sawyer Glacier. Guess now we'll have to do another Alaska cruise for Sawyer! :D Knowing that, though, makes me more inclined to definitely see Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. My grandmother is in her 70s and keeps saying this is her last trip (and I remind her it's only cruise #2 for her - we still have more to do!). So I'll definitely encourage her for Mendenhall.

Thank you again! So... now are you hooked on cruising? And is the chocolate fondue taste still lingering in your mouth from LeBistro last night? ;)

Thank you

- I know the basketball area and the golfing areas were open but do not now the cost.

- Sawyer Glacier - I had heard that it be closed till about July or so, but it is a wonderful cruise up Tracy Arm. This is due the heavy ice flow in Glacier area. Saw many many Ice bergs of different sizes and colours.

- Yes the Windjammer was wonderful. The Pianist was Christian Gagner.

- Our stateroom was great. We were on Deck 4 but had ample room.

- Ketchikan - Saxman Native Village

Juneau - Mendehall Glacier and City Tour

Skagway - Red Light Delight (Loved it)

Wrangell - Enchanted Wrangell Island.

All our shore tours were great and would recomend them.

- The captain is Trygve Vorren

- In a few days I will scan the Freestyle Daily and email them to you.

- Went to the Bistro Saturday night. Oh it was to die for :D. Was so good.

Hi,

My wife and I are headed on the Sun on 8/28. I'd like a copy of the dailies once you get them scanned in too - please send them to jd_rushton@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

JR

:) :) I have just scanned the Freestyle Daily. I have put them into a zip file Sunday to Disembarkation (8 zip files).

Monday was rough day at sea but not to bad. Saturday night was also a bit rough weather. 60 plus mph winds.

This will be the last year for the cruise ships going into Wrangell :(

Thanks so much for the info on your cruise! We leave for Vancouver this Thursday to go on next Sunday's trip. Could you also send the Freestyle Dailies to me? My e-mail is mailto:francescurrit@hotmail.com.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you had a good time on the cruise!

Frances

Here is a review of our wonderful cruise on the NCL Sun:

Sunday: Arrived at the pier (Canada Place) around 11 am and by 12:30 we were sitting down at the Outdoor Café enjoying a wonderful lunch. Very speedy embarkation onto the ship. Left Vancouver around 6:30 pm. Spent the time exploring the ship also eating again in the Garden Café. We had ordered a bar set up in our stateroom and also the Anniversary package which was fantastic.

Monday: Day at sea. A bit windy and rough waters but not that bad. Just enjoyed the day by the pool. Went to the Captain’s Welcome Party and dinner at the Four Seasons (Formal Attire). Lobster Night.

Tuesday: Ketchikan. Due to the unfortunate mess up with the manifest we docked about 3 to 4 hours late. Oh well. They adjusted all the shore excursions and gave us a extra hour in port. We did the Saxman Native Village tour which was fantastic and some power shopping before the ship left port. We took in the comedy show with Marian Kelly which we both really enjoyed.

Wednesday: Made it into port, Juneau, with no problems. We took the Mendenhall Glacier and city tour which was very good. Off to Sawyer Glacier in the afternoon. Was a great day, sunny and warm. Due to the heavy ice flows the Captain did not take us into the glacier. Oh well. Was still wonderful. Took in Cirque-Pan show that night which was excellent.

Thursday: Skagway. Was abit overcast and very windy but enjoyable. We had the morning to explore Skagway came back to the ship for a late lunch. Had a tour booked in the afternoon, Red Light Delight. We really enjoyed this tour. Visited Liarsville and then the Red Onion Brothel.

Friday: Wrangell. Just to let everyone know this will be the last year they will be going into Wrangell. The townsfolk told us it was because the town would not sell them any property so NCL could set up there shops, NCL told us it was out of the way. It boils down to money money. Beside this we took the Enchanting Wrangell Island tour. Was a great tour. Saw a lot of the Tongass forest and wildflowers but no wildlife, to early in the season. Once back on the ship took in a another show, Who wants to be a Millionaire?. Was quite funny.

Saturday: Day at sea heading back to Vancouver. I think this was the worst day for rough seas. Gusty winds and the waves were up to 7 feet high. They did announce a few times during the day to stay inside due to the high winds (60 mph). Was still a enjoyable day. Like I said earlier with the anniversary package we had canapés delivered to our stateroom on Wednesday night and today had a champagne and cake party in the afternoon. Went to the Le Bistro for dinner (part of the anniversary package) and had one of the best meals every. 5 course meal - Escargot, French Onion Soup, Yellow Fin Tuna salad, Filet Mignon and finally dessert Crème Boula. Fantastic. Chocolate Buffet was in the afternoon.

Sunday: Arrived in Vancouver about 6 am had a relaxing breakfast and disembarked when our colour was called about 830 or so. Very relaxed morning no need to rush.

The weather during our trip was excellent. The temperature was in the 60’s to 70’s most days. The rainy days were Sunday and had showers on and off in Wrangell and Saturday and back to the liquid sunshine in Vancouver.

The tours we took we booked thru NCL since it was our first cruise. They were great, not rushed at all.

Saxman Native Village

Mendenhall Glacier and City tour.

Red Light Delight

Enchanted Wrangell Island.

We found the crew were friendly. Always a smile on their face and good morning etc… Could not find a single crew member who was rude at all.

We did eat the Four Seasons and Seven Seas but mostly we ate at the Garden Cafe or the Outdoor Cafe. The food was excellent.

We had a ocean view stateroom (Deck 4) which was just fine for us. Once we got our twin beds converted to one bed we were much happier. LOL. :D ;) The stateroom staff we had were just wonderful.

Like I said before if you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them. I have scanned the Freestyle Daily. All eight days and have zipped them one for each day and would be more than happy to send them out.

I would recommend taking NCL and we are planning our next cruise.

We did the Sun's excursion to Sawyer Glacier on the catamaran last year the first part of June. Any idea if it is being cancelled due to the large amount of ice? Just curious, as that was my favorite part of the whole cruise.

Due to work reasons, I'm only able to cruise in the early part of the summer, or possibly after about the 3rd week in August. I know the later excursions last year couldn't get there, and was wondering for future planning purposes if we just lucked out last year.

We did the Sun's excursion to Sawyer Glacier on the catamaran last year the first part of June. Any idea if it is being cancelled due to the large amount of ice? Just curious, as that was my favorite part of the whole cruise.

Due to work reasons, I'm only able to cruise in the early part of the summer, or possibly after about the 3rd week in August. I know the later excursions last year couldn't get there, and was wondering for future planning purposes if we just lucked out last year.

We had to wait for the shore excursion boat to come back from the glacier. Hope this helps. From what we heard it was touch and go but they did make it to Sawyer Glacier.

I'm just back from the 5/15 Sun Alaska cruise as well. To answer a couple of the questions posed:

There was no batting cage.:( Instead there were two golf driving cages and a ping pong table in the 3rd cage.

The Chocoholic Buffet was Saturday afternoon from 2:30 - 3:30 in the Four Seasons. It was astonishing in it's presentation, quantity, quality, and creativity.:D It's not just mountains of chocolate, it's amazing ice scultures and intricate chocolate sculptures as well (not to be eaten).

There was no batting cage.:( Instead there were two golf driving cages and a ping pong table in the 3rd cage.

Thanks for sharing! I had seen it on the deck plans of my brochure and online, so I had been curious.

Any other details, excursions, or cruise details you'd like to share? ;)

Book the Misty Fjords excursion. It leaves at 1pm from Juneau and meets up with the Sun at around 6pm. I didn't bother booking this excursion being that the Sun is supposed to see the glacier anyway. The excursion people got to see the Sawyer Glacier, the rest of us didn't.

Book the Misty Fjords excursion. It leaves at 1pm from Juneau and meets up with the Sun at around 6pm. I didn't bother booking this excursion being that the Sun is supposed to see the glacier anyway. The excursion people got to see the Sawyer Glacier, the rest of us didn't.

Don't you mean to book the Tracy Arm excursion? I think that's the one that meets up with the ship near Sawyer Glacier.

Don't you mean to book the Tracy Arm excursion? I think that's the one that meets up with the ship near Sawyer Glacier.

I believe that was the best investment we made last year. The Sun never got close due heavy ice flows. Got to see whales upclose as well as the Glacier.

Pictures below

I'm on the Sun right now looking out the internet cafe window at some ice chunks. Neat. Will post a FULL review on return. FYI: Helicopter Glacier Trek was AWESOME. New Zip line course was also great.

-David

I'm on the Sun right now looking out the internet cafe window at some ice chunks. Neat. Will post a FULL review on return. FYI: Helicopter Glacier Trek was AWESOME. New Zip line course was also great.

-David

Hi David! I happen to have the Sun's webcam up and pointed out the ice chunks to hubby! I'm usually working at this time but happened to be home early. :) Looking forward to your thoughts when you get back!! ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Archived