Public bus to Trafalgar Falls? Safe/reliable?

bostonkim

I've been reading these and everyone talks about tours. I'm not really a tour type of person...I've seen online there is a bus that goes from port to Trafalgar Falls for $3EC ($1.50 USD). I couldn't find a single post on here regarding the bus- is it safe and reliable or should I stay away from it?

Also, people are saying taxi cost them $40-75 to take them around. That seems pretty steep...are there none that would just me to falls for $20?

Thanks

The falls are definitely worth seeing. Ive been to Dominica twice, once I did a tour through the ship, the second time I went and found a taxi to take me to different places on the island.

When you get off the ship there are plenty of drivers waiting for you to name your price. I was with my wife's family there was 6 of us and we paid $40 per a person to have Gus take us to 3 different places on the island. He was a very good tour guide and it was well worth $40, he showed us different sites along the way. Sorry I don't know more about the bus, but it might better to us a taxi.

• 1 month later...

I have taken the bus in Dominica, but don't think I'd recommend it, because there's no schedule - they pretty much depart from town when they fill up. I knew where I was going, and knew it wasn't that far from town, so it wasn't a concern to me how long it took. The falls are much further away, and when I was there last week, I didn't see any public busses along the way.

• 1 month later...
Is the bus/taxi ride scary? How steep and safe are the roads and vehicles there? I'm a big chicken with heights! ;)

Honest answer: Don't look down... A lot of the roads have substantial drop offs with no guard rails. The taxi drivers don't have death wishes, so while it looks very scary it is pretty safe. Do a search on youtube for some of the driving videos.

Most of the taxis are in OK shape, but a little visual confirmation before enter is prudent.

The road conditions vary. Some parts are brand new... others are in really bad shape. The rainy season can really do a number on them. The brand new sections are the sections that washed away a few months ago...

I have taken the bus in Dominica, but don't think I'd recommend it, because there's no schedule - they pretty much depart from town when they fill up. I knew where I was going, and knew it wasn't that far from town, so it wasn't a concern to me how long it took. The falls are much further away, and when I was there last week, I didn't see any public busses along the way.

I agree.

The road to Trafalgar Falls is MUCH less traveled than the other routes, so it can be a very VERY long time before the buses fills up and heads up the hill. The road is a dead end, so few buses going UP the hill translates to few buses coming back down the hill to take you back to the ship.

You should just negotiate with a taxi. They tend to get cheaper the farther away from the ship you go, and later in the day.

Dennis

Archived