Grand Cayman Question!

ss75511

Hi!

Anyone who has been to Grand Cayman would be the ideal candidate for helping me with this.....

We are leaving on our cruise on Sunday and I haven't been able to figure out anything to do in Cayman yet. We have packed excursions planned in every other port and nothing really beach-related. So we decided we wanted to do the beach in Cayman....my question is: we definitely would like to have chairs but we would prefer to be somewhere more secluded, less touristy.

Is there a place where we can rent or find beach chairs but we also won't be surrounded by people?? & if so, how do we go about getting there? and about how expensive is it in a cab?

Thanks so much!

Grand Cayman is my favorite place we've visited. But that's based on one port stop and a one-week vacation after that. Rum Point is my favorite area of GC. But it's quite a ways from the tender port. On our cruise stop, we rented a car, drove to Rum Point - we had very little time to relax. Other quiet areas are on the eastern side of the island, but might also be too far - unless you don't mind an expensive taxi ride.

If you have never been to Grand Cayman...you need to visit Stingray City :)

CRAZY you said that! since i've posted this i've been researching excursions on carnival.com and I actually have my boyfriend's undivided attention for once because he's SO EXCITED we're flying to Tampa tomorrow :) and he really liked the idea of the Stingray City excursion that involves the sandbar. I think it's called Deluxe Stingray City Sand Bar or something like that....only $49.99 per person and seems to be pretty amazing! I think we're just gonna wait and book that one onboard in lieu of all of the busy beaches!

Anyone done that excursion?

We hung out at Cemetery Beach which is not far at all by bus. Very secluded. Maybe 5 other people on the beach. There are some trees for shade, but nothing else. No bar, restaurant, chairs, umbrellas.

Cemetery beach also has incredible snorkeling. Excellent choice. Sting Ray cuty is fantastic also.

We hung out at Cemetery Beach which is not far at all by bus. Very secluded. Maybe 5 other people on the beach. There are some trees for shade, but nothing else. No bar, restaurant, chairs, umbrellas.

Cemetery beach also has incredible snorkeling. Excellent choice. Sting Ray city is fantastic also.

CRAZY you said that! since i've posted this i've been researching excursions on carnival.com and I actually have my boyfriend's undivided attention for once because he's SO EXCITED we're flying to Tampa tomorrow :) and he really liked the idea of the Stingray City excursion that involves the sandbar. I think it's called Deluxe Stingray City Sand Bar or something like that....only $49.99 per person and seems to be pretty amazing! I think we're just gonna wait and book that one onboard in lieu of all of the busy beaches!

Anyone done that excursion?

Loved Stingray City!! It is a must ..

I don't mean to be a downer. But just remember that GC is a tender port, and may be cancelled due to weather. I really have to keep that in mind when I cruise so that I'm not dissapointed, just in case. I've only had to cancel one excursion in all our years of cruising due to weather. But this week does call for some rain in GC. Better to be prepared, than to ruin your vaca due to the unexpected. Oh, and please come back and tell us about your cruise!!! Please!!!

Definitely do the sting rays. You'll talk about it for years. We did it about three years ago and it was AWESOME! We didn't do it through the cruise line but booked it through Moby Dick Tours. They were great!

DW and I have been to Cayman twice now....

The first time we did 7 Mile beach, went there on the local "bus" (Toyota mini van), for like $5.00 pp, and got a taxi back to the cruise port for about $10.00 pp.... we were at the "Sea Grape" area of the beech - very nice.

On our second trip we had two of our children with us, our DS (19 at the time) asked to got toStingray City... I had always wanted to go, but DW "talked me out of it" our first trip. DS got his way (of course). And we all really loved it... DW even got in tha water for a little while! (She had planned on staying in the boat while we swam with the rays, but changed her mind once we got to the sand bar)...

DO, GO TO STINGRAY CITY you will love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend Captain Marvin's tours for Stingray City. You get the stingrays and then some snorkleing.

Smaller boats than through the cruise lines and less people.

Archived