Upgrade to Cabin ?

JerseyTimeTraveller

Has anyone ever been upgraded on boarding when they have already been assigned an actual cabin number with the pre-board documents ?

JerseyTimeTraveller,

This is a hardy perennial, frequently asked on the board. Here are a couple of recent threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=174915

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165487

And if you search the forum I'm sure you'll find more. The short answer is 'no one really knows how upgrades work.' Booking Guarantees may be the best bet - but sometimes you get what you pay for! AFAIK, upgrades generally happen prior to document issue, rarely post.....so now wait for a deluge of 'thats not what happened to me!'

Peter

In Old Guernsey......

Thanks Peter. I will wait to see if anyone got an upgrade post having the printed documentation sent to them. I have been very bemused by the whole process of booking, the constant price slashing, subsequent "complimentary upgrades" etc. I cannot keep up with it.

How is the weather in Guernsey ? - well done in the Muratti by the way..

Thanks Peter. I will wait to see if anyone got an upgrade post having the printed documentation sent to them. I have been very bemused by the whole process of booking, the constant price slashing, subsequent "complimentary upgrades" etc. I cannot keep up with it.

How is the weather in Guernsey ? - well done in the Muratti by the way..

Thanks - lovely sunny day - where/when are you going - did you book with Cunard, a UK TA or US?

Peter

QM2 Transatlantic- Booked with a TA in the UK (felt we were obliged to )

Well at least you've got the 'upgrades' as prices have fallen - I've tended to wait until about 2 months out & book via a US TA - has worked fine so far, but I notice on the Princess board that Princess are refusing to accept new bookings in the US for UK based pax - so don't know how long before this starts applying to Cunard. The US prices are frequently very close to the UK prices - but in $ rather £!!!! Of course, we have the 'get out' of not being in the UK.....but not sure that will work!

Enjoy your Trans Atlantic - I posted a review of mine earlier (Greetings from the QM2!) if you have the time (I go on a bit...) you should see you'll have a good time - one watch out - if you are in Britannia be ruthless about getting a table you are happy with (location/staff) and don't let them palm you off with one you are not happy with. One of the Assistant Maitre 'D tells lies (though the others we met were friendly & helpful).

Happy Sailing!

Peter

Has anyone ever been upgraded on boarding when they have already been assigned an actual cabin number with the pre-board documents ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter and I were upon boarding the QE2 in Ft. Lauderdale in January 2004.

Well at least you've got the 'upgrades' as prices have fallen - I've tended to wait until about 2 months out & book via a US TA - has worked fine so far, but I notice on the Princess board that Princess are refusing to accept new bookings in the US for UK based pax - so don't know how long before this starts applying to Cunard. The US prices are frequently very close to the UK prices - but in $ rather £!!!! Of course, we have the 'get out' of not being in the UK.....but not sure that will work!

Enjoy your Trans Atlantic - I posted a review of mine earlier (Greetings from the QM2!) if you have the time (I go on a bit...) you should see you'll have a good time - one watch out - if you are in Britannia be ruthless about getting a table you are happy with (location/staff) and don't let them palm you off with one you are not happy with. One of the Assistant Maitre 'D tells lies (though the others we met were friendly & helpful).

Happy Sailing!

Peter

Well, I don't know how firmly entrenched you are in your ethics values. However, if it's worth it to you, I would provide a friend's US address and any other appropriate information as needed to the TA and ask your friends to forward all documents to you in the UK.

Well, I don't know how firmly entrenched you are in your ethics values. However, if it's worth it to you, I would provide a friend's US address and any other appropriate information as needed to the TA and ask your friends to forward all documents to you in the UK.

Scamper,

As far as the ethics of allowing the Cruise Lines to rip me off, I'm very relaxed, however, as I understand it from the Princess board, Princess are comparing (or threatening to) passenger immigration information (where its probably unwise to tell porkies) with booking information and have said they will deny boarding to UK resident pax who have booked through the US...Given what US Immigration occassionally do to people who tell the truth, I'm not going to start being economical with the actualitie with them....

Princess thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=170709

Probably coming to Cunard soon, if not already here.....

Peter

Archived