Help! How to get to the ship from Anchorage

Help.......I am sailing out of Whittier, Alaska on the Vision of the Seas on July 1st, and flying into Anchorage. What is the best way to get to the port from Anchorage? Is the best option taking the shuttle through RCCL from the airport?

Anyone who has done this before, would you be able to help me out with this? I didn't realize that the ship would be that far from Anchorage.

Thanks!!

One option to consider is the Alaska Railroad. (http://www.akrr.com/passenger/index.html) My parents are actually boarding the train this morning to catch their ship in Whittier. The cost is only $52pp. This was about half the cost of a transfer. (They're on Princess, so I can't compare to RCCL prices.)

The only drawback is that there is only 1 train a day. It leaves Anchorage at 10am and arrives in Whittier at 12:20pm. However, if it fits your schedule, it might be the best bet.

Enjoy your cruise. It's a beautiful trip!

You can take Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward, it's about a 4 hour ride or you can drive Seward Highway (Highway 1) from Anchorage. I would probably book with the cruiseline whether it be motorcoach or train, probably easier.

Question? Where can you find good flight prices for sailing from northbound to Alaska.

What prices I have seen, all airlines are high when you fly into Alaska one way then half to fly one way home from Seattle or V.C.

Any suggestions? Prices for cruise starting from northbound are very reasonable right now, but the flights are high.

The trip from Anchorage to Seward is an absolutely beautiful one! We've done it several times in a car or an RV, but never by train. My folks did the Alaska Railroad for that stretch though and really enjoyed it. Have a great trip! :D

Question? Where can you find good flight prices for sailing from northbound to Alaska.

What prices I have seen, all airlines are high when you fly into Alaska one way then half to fly one way home from Seattle or V.C.

Any suggestions? Prices for cruise starting from northbound are very reasonable right now, but the flights are high.

Plane tickets to Alaska are always expensive and the price just continues to go higher as you get closer to the date. DH and I try to buy our tickets as far out as possible. Do you have milage available with anyone the either flies to AK or partners with someone who does? We've found that is a good option when the dates are close.

We rented a car at Hertz in downtown Anchorage and drove to Seward. The one day rental (in 2002) cost about $60 I believe, which was much cheaper than the train for three people. While I can't comment on the views from the train, which I'm sure are great, I can tell you that the views from the road are gorgeous as well. We were able to stop at several scenic viewpoints as well as when we saw a mountain goat to get some great pictures. We also stopped at a neat wild animal sanctuary. The trip was around 2 hours plus stops. The car rental place in Seward was right next to the port. They had shuttles running to the ship, but I could have walked it if necessary.

I don't think there are many good options for open jaw flights to/from Anchorage. I used frequent flyer miles, but had to use double miles to get the tickets. The basic award was sold out for all flights even though it was still 8 months out.

Good luck!

The train sounds like a great idea! I will have to look into that. We do have an early flight from Seattle, and we get into ANC around 8:30. I looked into renting a car and it would end up being around $250 for the day- the rates are high, and there is a one way drop off penalty of $100.......pain in the butt, but the rental companies have to make money, and that's how to do it.

As far as flights go, I had to use a bunch of my British Airways points, for flights on Alaska Airlines and American Airlines.....there were very few options available, basically, we are paying our own way to get from D.C. to Seattle - cheap though....$124 on Independence Air. Then we will be spending the night in Seattle, I was able to get the DoubleTree Seattle Airport for $43 on Priceline, then we have to get up super early to catch a 6am flight ( the day of the cruise) to Anchorage on Alaska Airlines, and the only thing I could get using my points was first class ( bummer, huh? I guess I will be downing the free Mimosas at 6am!)...for about the same amount of points I could have used to go to Europe- Oh well. It was free (minus the taxes). Then on the way back home, we are flying from Vancouver to D.C. on American Airlines- business class I think.....So just for all of that I am using enough points that could have gotten myself and a friend to Greece and back, but, it's free, and I got all of those points free for buying a car I would have bought anyway, as part of a promotion....So, the whole trip including the cruise, insurance, flights, and taxes, is costing me a little over $900.

If it wasn't for all of those free flights, it would have been a lot more......that is the draw-back of cruises that start and end at different points.

Ok, 10am.........If our flight makes it in at 8:30am, we should be good......as long as the flight makes it in on time. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the airport to the train station????

Also, being that the ship doesn't leave until 9pm, how early do they allow you to board? What time do they hold the muster drill, what happens to those that are in the middle of dining?

Ok, 10am.........If our flight makes it in at 8:30am, we should be good......as long as the flight makes it in on time. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the airport to the train station????

Also, being that the ship doesn't leave until 9pm, how early do they allow you to board? What time do they hold the muster drill, what happens to those that are in the middle of dining?

From the airport to the train station is about 15 minutes. The train station is right downtown.

We did the southbound cruise on Legend of the Seas a few years ago. The train ride is a great introduction to Alaska.

On our cruise they did the muster the following day when we were in Disenchantment Bay. Wear something warm. It's a spectacular cruise. You can see our photo album at http://community.webshots.com/user/jbond105/1 under Legend of the Seas.

Ooops, I just realized that the train that goes to Seward leaves at 6:45 am, so that is out...the ship leaves from Seward, not Whittier, as somebody has pointed out earlier.............The train would have been neat.

There are some busses, there is one comedy bus that does the trip, and it's $89 per person to get from ANchorage to the ship, and they will pick up at the airport.........It's $89 pp as long as there are 4 or more passengers, otherwise it's $99 pp. Still better than renting a car one way, and they do make several stops on the way....anyone going on this cruise that's interested??????

Archived