Back from Voyager 5-15 Bermuda

I was on the 5/29 sailing to Bermuda. From what I remember, passengers were allowed off at King's Wharf around 8:00 AM. If you're not on a RCI excusion and you want to take a ferry to Hamilton or get a cab, leave early. The line for the 10:30 ferry wasn't too bad but the 11:30 ferry line was very long and it was very difficult to get a cab then, too. Wednesday was much better as far as getting transportation and of course things could be different from week to week.

The sole formal night was Monday, the day at sea after leaving Bayonne.

In the five times I've sailed to Bermuda from New York (three times in Sept., once in June and once in May) only once were the seas rough and that was due to a hurricane in the mid-Atlantic. Also, a 140,000 ton ship like the VOS handles the seas much better than the 40,000 ton Empress.

If you want to go to Hamilton, take the ferry. The high speed catamarans take 20 minutes. Horseshoe Bay by taxi or bus is probably 30 to 40 minutes (bus would be longer due to stops). By the way, taxis are expensive (gas there is at least $5 a gallon), King's Wharf to Hamilton is probably around $40 to $50, but most hold 4 to 6 passengers, some, more.

Things to do on the ship: see the ice show; go all the way forward on the promenade deck (deck 4, outside where the lifeboats are) to the helipad where you can do the "King of the World" bit ala "Titanic" (I'm sure the bridge crew gets a laugh out that); try to get a drink at every bar on the ship, you'll probably lose count; have a great time no matter what.

Thanks for the info!

How were the bus lines/waits at Kings Wharf? 2nd day any different?

Plan on hitting Horseshoe Bay, etc first sunny day we get, so curious how soon I have to wake up. ;o)

We'll be going on the 5 day Bermuda cruise this Sunday with our 3 children ages 2, 4 and 5. We have excursions planned for both days. The glass bottom boat starts at 9:00...The Aquarium starts at 10:30...RCCL told me there will be transportation available to take us right to the excursion...is this true?

Also, we'd like to go to Horseshoe bay. If we take the high speed ferry would this be a problem with the strollers and how far is the beach from where the ferry drops us off?

Any recommendations?

cpizzull - the bus lines didn't seem bad at any time. As I stated, the ferry line was the worst for the 11:30 on Tuesday. In our case, Wednesday was much less crowded for everything, but then we had cloudy days both days.

gigbeans1 - if your excursions are booked through the ship, there will be specific transportation. As far as Horseshoe Bay is concerned the only way there is by bus or taxi. In your case it would probably be best if you took a taxi. Unless the strollers fold fairly compact they probably won't allow them on the bus (no problem on the ferries, though). Remember, the buses are the primary means of transportation for a lot of people on Bermuda. I would estimate the one-way taxi fare to be around $25 plus tip and the taxis have storage space behind the seats (most are mini-vans).

The taxi fare from Hamilton may be a bit less as I believe Horseshoe Bay is closer to Hamilton than King's Wharf but then the ferry fare would probably make the total cost the same. The fares on most buses and ferries is $4 per adult, $2 for children and free for those under five.

Thank you! I did book the excursions on rccl.com...so I guess I'm ok with those. We would, however, like to get to the beach. If it's a real hassle....we'll skip it. My only concerns are getting around with the strollers. We went to Disney last summer and it really was a pain.

Where on LI are you from?...I'm here too!

Thank you! I did book the excursions on rccl.com...so I guess I'm ok with those. We would, however, like to get to the beach. If it's a real hassle....we'll skip it. My only concerns are getting around with the strollers. We went to Disney last summer and it really was a pain.

Where on LI are you from?...I'm here too!

Live in West Hempstead, work in Great Neck, when I'm not stuck in traffic, that is.

There is a small beach that they've developed right at the Dockyards called Snorkel Beach. I hear it's pretty nice and you can walk to it from the ship.

Hey! I live in Holtsville and work in Melville...nice to meet you. Looks like we're in the same field too! cool!

Thanks for the beach info. I think the kiddies will love any beach....will try to get to HB. If too much trouble...will stay local....THANKS again!

Archived