Anybody Back From Spirit To Alaska?

ehaas

i WAS ON THE SPIRIT 5/14-5/21

WENT ON THE SAXMEN NATIVE VILLAGE TOUR THAT WAS NICE

WHITES PASS YUKON RAIL WAS WORTH THE DOUGH

AND WE FISHED IN JUNEAU IF YOUR INTERESTED I WOULD FIND A CHARTER AWAY FROM THE BOAT YOULL SAVE ABOUT 40%

:) Beautiful warm weather, altho still too much ice to get close to Sawyer Glacier. That was a big disappointment. Guys loved helicopter glacier visit, gals liked the Mendenhall Glacier and Gardens Tour. All loved the Eagle Preserve Jet Boat excursion, and all agreed Salmon Bake was a bust and waste of $$.

It was in Juneau and called the Gold Creek Salmon Bake excursion for $37 each. The couple traveling with us really wanted to go. It was a nice setting with pretty falls. We mostly didn't like the overly loud folk singer with an alternative lifestyle axe to grind. Not what I want to hear at dinner.

We just returned last night from Seattle and had a fabulous time on the Spirit.

As far as excursions go-- we only did one in Juneau with Coastal Helicopters. Booking direct with them, we saved $50 per person. They picked us up on time, drove to the Juneau airport. Boarded a 4 seater copter and we flew past the Mendenhall and then over the Herbert Glacier.

It was breathtaking!! We landed on the ice, and then went mushing for about 45 minutes. It was really worth the $395 each-- although I still cannot believe we spent that much~

In Ketchikan we took the self guided walking tour, and in Skagway and Prince Rupert we just shopped and walked around. Prince Rupert had a wonderful celebration for us-- with Indian dancers and all.

Food was OK-- really nothing spectacular. We ate at Shogun's one night and the service was incredible.

Overall we had a great time-- and the weather was great. In Prince Rupert we wore shorts and T-shirts!! We sat on our balcony a good deal and never had to wear a coat out there. I even sat out there in my silk PJ's-- and still was not cold.

We cruise on the Spirit on June 11. Six adults (five first time cruisers) and one 16 year old son. Any advice? Best Excursions? Tips for on the ship?

Thanks

We went on Spirit last year - had a wonderful trip. In Ketchikan we went Salmon Fishing - booked it ourselves - saved a lot. There was 5 of us including 2 teenage boys who loved it. Caught about 15 salmon. In Juneau we got off and caught a bus to Mendenahall Glacier on our own. In Skagway the boys went horseback riding - had a wonderful time - we went shoping. Great town for shopping - it was also the 4th of July and had a wonderful/different parade. In Sitka we did the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest - again had a wondeful time on that. Saw eagles, otters, whales - and it was just beautiful. Again we had a wonderful Time

Archived