Handicap Cabin question

shepherdqueen

We just booked our 2013 cruise on NCL, having just come back from our cruise last week. We had a normal balcony cabin. I do have balance/mobility issues, I do have a handicap sticker for our car and I do use wheel chair embarkation/disembarkation.

My question is, I found our bathroom in our normal balcony cabin hard to use with the cramped space and only one grab bar. Granted, I do not need a scooter or a wheelchair, but it was easier to use the handicap public bathrooms than our own in cabin.

Am I out of line if I request a handicap balcony cabin?

if you feel unsafe in the reg bath and safe in the hc i would think that is an easy choice...that step up is an issue for anyone with balance pr0blems on a moving ship...i know my husband was thrilled when i finally admitted it was time to go hc...HE feels safer...

You are probably the only person that can answer your question. Yes, the tiny bathrooms are cramped and difficult for everybody to use. The important factor is “safety”. If your handicap is of a nature that you could injure yourself in a standard cabin, then maybe you should consider something different. I do know that the roll-in shower / bathroom is a must for many.

Some cruise lines and ships have modified handicapped cabins. Not fully accessible for a wheelchair user but wonderful for someone who is still not fully disabled.

That would be perfect!

Believe that only Holland America and Carnival have modified HC cabins on select ships.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Some cruise lines are now requiring that in order to book an accessible cabin one must have a dr fill out a form verifying that you need one. I think this is a good idea. It makes me sick that some passengers book these cabins just because they are a bit larger than regular ones. Last month we booked our 2014 cruise. We had to go to our third choice because all accessible cabins were already booked. I use a scooter and need one.

Now, as to the poster, if you need an accessible cabin, do not feel that you are taking one from someone who needs it more. They are there for those you need them!!! You do. End of discussion. They sure make the cruise experience nicer!

If the cruise departs from a USA port than the US Federal Law that went in effect on January 1, 2012 would apply. The law states that a person with a mobility or physical disablity must be able to certify that they need the features that the accessible cabins have in order to book a HC room. As a result the cruise lines now require you to complete the necessaery forms to valid this need.

The OP has the need for the features that a bathroom in an accessible cabin offers and meets the criteria under the new federal law.

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you both. I may try another year without HC. My husband is usually there to help me with the step, and I really hate to take away from someone who has worse issues.

Please do not think this way. You have every right to an accessible cabin. Why risk falling?

• 2 years later...

I am resurrecting this old thread just to say that yes, I did book a handicapped cabin for our next cruise. The step up to the bathroom was just too much on very rough seas on our last cruise. It is time... but I am thankful to have this option. My TA had no issues with us booking since i have always received wheelchair embark and disembark.

• 1 month later...

I am also commenting on this " old thread". Neither RC nor Celebrity requires that you have a Dr certify you as to your requiring an accessable cabin. That would be a violation of the ADA. They require YOU to either speak with the Special Needs Dept, or have your TA tell them you are bringing a mobility device like a scooter, WC or rollator, or just sign your online registration docs that you are in need of a HC cabin. Did mine today for the Silhouette. Traveled last year on the Allure.

I am also commenting on this " old thread". Neither RC nor Celebrity requires that you have a Dr certify you as to your requiring an accessable cabin. That would be a violation of the ADA. They require YOU to either speak with the Special Needs Dept, or have your TA tell them you are bringing a mobility device like a scooter, WC or rollator, or just sign your online registration docs that you are in need of a HC cabin. Did mine today for the Silhouette. Traveled last year on the Allure.

Though true that RCCL does not require a passenger to have a letter from a Doctor verifying the need for an accessible RCCL also doesn't always require a person complete a special needs form or even speak to its Special Needs Dept. In fact more often than not the RCCL agent has never mentioned anything to me about the Special Needs Dept. for or contacting that Dept.

RCCL's process for certifying one's need for an accessible cabin actually occurs during the on-line check-in process at which time there is a separate section in which the individual is to certify the need for such cabin .

• 3 weeks later...

I was just informed by a friend whose husband uses a walker and does not do steps very well that on Princess you cannot get a handicapped cabin if you do not use a wheelchair. Not sure how long this rule has been out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just informed by a friend whose husband uses a walker and does not do steps very well that on Princess you cannot get a handicapped cabin if you do not use a wheelchair. Not sure how long this rule has been out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the cruise embarks from a USA port Princess is violation of a USA Federal Law under the Department if Transportation (DOT) that went into effect on 1/1/2012. Following is the information that your friend needs to advise Princess of provide that the ship Embarks (originates) a USA port. Note specifically the portion highlighted in red that applies to your friend and qualifies for you friend to be able to book an accessible cabin.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 for ALL cruise lines that embark for a USA port that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011, the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply with these new regulations. Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify its HC cabins. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We cruise Princess all the time and just booked a cruise late last week; we have never been asked if Dudette is in a wheelchair. That said our TA handles everything but if there is some kind of a "declaration" required he normally sends it on to us to complete and sign. He does of course know that she is in a wheelchair. So I am inclined to think you have received incorrect information re needing a wheelchair to book an accessible cabin on Princess.

I would agree, if this is important to you, then please phone Princess. I do know that when you phone Princess it's hard to get the same story twice in a row....but I think your friends got some bad information.