which side of ship can you see statue of liberty?

spursdebs

We are in 8130 on westbound crossing, will we be able to see Statue of Liberty from our balcony/room?Deb
May I suggest that you really shouldn't be in your cabin, whichever side it is located, on arrival in New York Harbor.

You can study the Statue of Liberty from the top deck once you've arrived at Red Hook (and sometimes from the Deck 7 Promenade).

If you want to experience the arrival AND see Lady Liberty, far better to get up and go up to Deck 13 for the arrival, don't miss sailing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the statue and the turn into the berth.

As I said about my first arrival into New York on board QM2...

"...I didn’t want to miss the entry into New York... I got up, threw on a bathrobe and went out onto the balcony. The night was clear and mild. The sea surrounding the ship was lit up as, for the first time, as well as all the usual lights, they had turned on the lights that floodlight the hull of the ship. We must have looked spectacular! I gazed forward and there on the horizon was the glow of artificial lights. America!

I dressed warmly in case of high winds “up top“. I stopped at the Kings Court, found a coffee machine and got something hot inside me. I went back to the cabin. I’d forgotten my camera (far too early for my brain to work). I made my way up 8 levels to deck 13. There, behind the thick glass windbreak, there were already half a dozen people. And I had thought that I was the only insane one.

It was, of course, still pitch black, except for lights on the horizon and the ship, as dawn was still several hours away. To starboard I could see twinkling lights on Long Island glowing in the blackness. Astern, I could see the bright lights of a cruise ship, several miles back, also making for New York. Ahead and slightly to starboard, I could easily make out the towers of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. A large freighter, heading out to sea, stacked high with containers, passed by on the port side.

I went back along the deck to the high platform (“deck 14”) with the flood lit giant funnel towering over me and waited. More and more passengers came out onto this platform and deck 13. There was a cold wind up here, many were dressed for it. Several, however, were clad in thin shirts or blouses. A few looked as if they had come straight from one or other of the bars...

As we came, slowly, ever closer to the lights of Coney Island and Brooklyn, the bridge ahead of us appeared to grow ever bigger. By now there were several hundred people out on deck. The platform was packed. Deck 13, crowded.

We glided slowly forward. Would we go safely under? Had they greased the underside of the bridge and the top of the funnel? Everyone, it seemed, had their arms stretched up, cameras in hand. The mast went under, phew. We all turned as one to hold our breath and watch as we slipped below the huge steel underside of the bridge above our heads. There was a fireworks display of camera flashes as the massive funnel…. also cleared the bridge. With less than twelve feet to spare. There was a spontaneous outburst of applause and we all breathed once more. Everyone was grinning or smiling. It was a wonderful experience and so worth getting out of bed early for... once we had passed safely under the bridge... We stopped half a mile from the floodlit “Lady Liberty”. Crowds of people were at the rails straining to get a look at her. It was breathtaking and so very memorable. Slowly the queen turned to starboard and the lights of the skyscrapers of lower Manhattan came before us..."

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage! :)

May I suggest that you really shouldn't be in your cabin, whichever side it is located, on arrival in New York Harbor.

You can study the Statue of Liberty from the top deck once you've arrived at Red Hook (and sometimes from the Deck 7 Promenade).

If you want to experience the arrival AND see Lady Liberty, far better to get up and go up to Deck 13 for the arrival, don't miss sailing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the statue and the turn into the berth.

Don't somehow think I can get mine and my Mums bodies working that early to get up on deck, but I take your point lol

Deb

Don't somehow think I can get mine and my Mums bodies working that early to get up on deck, but I take your point lol Deb
:) Well, it is your choice of course! :) .

But it is an experience like no other, a "one-off" time, you've spent seven days at sea... and it is only one morning ;) . I'd never miss it.

(There are photos of arrivals and departures via the link below)

Whatever you do, have the most wonderful time :) .

Thanks Peppern we will do, it's not a case of not wanting to go up top, it's a case of it takes time when you have a disability to get moving and not sure my Mum will see much in a wheelchair if there are lots of people?

Deb

We are in 8130 on westbound crossing, will we be able to see Statue of Liberty from our balcony/room?

Deb

Yes you will. We were up early enough to see the Pilot join the ship on the Port side too. Ok, perhaps we didn't get the full effect of seeing the ship glide under the bridge but we did get the full effect of going past the Statute of Liberty and, as the ship turned to berth we were lucky enough to see the sun rising above Manhattan. We were also able to keep warm too and, of course, didn't feel crowded. You will get some FAB photos to cherish. Have a FAB cruise.

....I was reading the account of coming into New York and seeing the Statue of Liberty, and almost started crying. I'm sure I would were I on the deck of the QM2. What a thrilling experience to have!

Coming into NY on the QM2 and seeing Lady Liberty is such an awe inspiring experience. Every time I read those words of Pepperrn's, it brings back that experience as if I were still on that deck and feeling the exact same emotions that he expresses.

Thank you again, pepperrn, for putting such powerful words to this amazing experience.

As I said about my first arrival into New York on board QM2...

"...I didn’t want to miss the entry into New York... I got up, threw on a bathrobe and went out onto the balcony. The night was clear and mild. The sea surrounding the ship was lit up as, for the first time, as well as all the usual lights, they had turned on the lights that floodlight the hull of the ship. We must have looked spectacular! I gazed forward and there on the horizon was the glow of artificial lights. America!

I dressed warmly in case of high winds “up top“. I stopped at the Kings Court, found a coffee machine and got something hot inside me. I went back to the cabin. I’d forgotten my camera (far too early for my brain to work). I made my way up 8 levels to deck 13. There, behind the thick glass windbreak, there were already half a dozen people. And I had thought that I was the only insane one.

It was, of course, still pitch black, except for lights on the horizon and the ship, as dawn was still several hours away. To starboard I could see twinkling lights on Long Island glowing in the blackness. Astern, I could see the bright lights of a cruise ship, several miles back, also making for New York. Ahead and slightly to starboard, I could easily make out the towers of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. A large freighter, heading out to sea, stacked high with containers, passed by on the port side.

I went back along the deck to the high platform (“deck 14”) with the flood lit giant funnel towering over me and waited. More and more passengers came out onto this platform and deck 13. There was a cold wind up here, many were dressed for it. Several, however, were clad in thin shirts or blouses. A few looked as if they had come straight from one or other of the bars...

As we came, slowly, ever closer to the lights of Coney Island and Brooklyn, the bridge ahead of us appeared to grow ever bigger. By now there were several hundred people out on deck. The platform was packed. Deck 13, crowded.

We glided slowly forward. Would we go safely under? Had they greased the underside of the bridge and the top of the funnel? Everyone, it seemed, had their arms stretched up, cameras in hand. The mast went under, phew. We all turned as one to hold our breath and watch as we slipped below the huge steel underside of the bridge above our heads. There was a fireworks display of camera flashes as the massive funnel…. also cleared the bridge. With less than twelve feet to spare. There was a spontaneous outburst of applause and we all breathed once more. Everyone was grinning or smiling. It was a wonderful experience and so worth getting out of bed early for... once we had passed safely under the bridge... We stopped half a mile from the floodlit “Lady Liberty”. Crowds of people were at the rails straining to get a look at her. It was breathtaking and so very memorable. Slowly the queen turned to starboard and the lights of the skyscrapers of lower Manhattan came before us..."

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage! :)

And here was the problem with that this past Sunday......

We were due in port at 6:30, so DH and I set the alarm for 5:30 to give us time to throw some clothes on and go up on deck.

Lucky for us, DH woke up at 4:30 just as we passed Lady Liberty, but AFTER we had already gone under the Verrazano Bridge! :eek: It was still pitch dark, so the photos we were able to get were pretty awful! What a disappointment! :(

If the captain had informed us it would be earlier, we would have made sure we were up and about! :mad:

We were due in port at 6:30, so DH and I set the alarm for 5:30 to give us time to throw some clothes on and go up on deck.

Lucky for us, DH woke up at 4:30 just as we passed Lady Liberty, but AFTER we had already gone under the Verrazano Bridge! :eek: It was still pitch dark, so the photos we were able to get were pretty awful! What a disappointment! :(

If the captain had informed us it would be earlier, we would have made sure we were up and about! :mad:

So sorry you weren't up in time to have witnessed going under the Verrazano Bridge. :-(

My daughter was set on not missing it so she knocked on our door shortly before 4 a.m. I opened our balcony door and it was so dark and cold. So I got dressed fast (warmly) and dashed for coffee and met up with her. Was so glad for my coat and coffee and for her knock. The night before passengers were discussing the time to be up to see the Bridge and the Lady. My daughter, if I remember correctly, also said she heard an announcement made with those details.

I'm sorry an annoucement wasn't made on your trip.

Thanks Peppern we will do, it's not a case of not wanting to go up top, it's a case of it takes time when you have a disability to get moving and not sure my Mum will see much in a wheelchair if there are lots of people? Deb
Ah, I understand what you mean. That must be you and your mum's decision, there will be plenty of room on deck, but if your choose to stay on your balcony I hope you enjoy the experience and have some wonderful memories of your arrival :) . May I wish you both a huge Bon Voyage and hope you have the most marvellous time on board QM2 :) .

Coming into NY on the QM2 and seeing Lady Liberty is such an awe inspiring experience. Every time I read those words of Pepperrn's, it brings back that experience as if I were still on that deck and feeling the exact same emotions that he expresses. Thank you again, pepperrn, for putting such powerful words to this amazing experience.
Thank you seasidegal :o .

There were some passengers up on Deck 13 as we went under the bridge, and many more on Deck 7 promenade leaning on the rail looking at the Statue of Liberty, who were crying with the emotion of the moment, it was a truly memorable experience :) .

(On another QM2 arrival into New York, it was raining so hard that we all huddled together under the glass screen at the front of Deck 13... one brave soul on the high platform further aft was being lashed by wind and rain… that wasn’t so wonderful!)

Very best wishes and thanks again :) .

And here was the problem with that this past Sunday...... We were due in port at 6:30, so DH and I set the alarm for 5:30 to give us time to throw some clothes on and go up on deck. Lucky for us, DH woke up at 4:30 just as we passed Lady Liberty, but AFTER we had already gone under the Verrazano Bridge! It was still pitch dark, so the photos we were able to get were pretty awful! What a disappointment! If the captain had informed us it would be earlier, we would have made sure we were up and about!
I am so sorry to read that you were up too late to fully enjoy the arrival into New York Harbor :( .

I've previously noted the timings printed in the daily programme. Annouced during the midday message from the bridge the day before. And I've also checked the estimated time of passing under the bridge with one of the officers in advance.

Then I get up an hour before the earliest time mentioned, just to be sure ;) .

I've friends who were also on board, I'll ask them what they were told about arrival times.

I hope you have better luck next time :) .

All best wishes.

And here was the problem with that this past Sunday......

The Captain's noon report did say that we would be picking up the pilot at 2:30 am because of the currents so we would be in the harbour early.

Or do as I did on our 4-nighter on QM2 in 2009: don't go to sleep :D

Lucky for me, living in Brooklyn, it took about 10 minutes to get home and I was in bed mid-morning to catch up on sleep. :)

The Captain's noon report did say that we would be picking up the pilot at 2:30 am because of the currents so we would be in the harbour early.

Well I guess we missed that then....we would have been up for sure, if we had known! Oh well next time I guess! ;)

Actually, I grew up in Brooklyn and Long Island, so it's not as if we haven't seen it....but it sure is nice to see it from the vantage point of the QM2!

Actually, I grew up in Brooklyn and Long Island, so it's not as if we haven't seen it....but it sure is nice to see it from the vantage point of the QM2!

It is not an experience similar to anything you have seen or done in NYC. ;)

Archived