Mystic Mountain Ocho Rios on our own?

bender031177

Can we do Mystic Mountain on our own or do we need to take a tour?

I can't find a tour that includes all we want to do:

bobsled

zipline

Dunns River Falls

So I thought we might be able to hire a driver for a few hours to take us to the two places (I think bobsled and zipline are both at Mystic Mtn, correct?)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

We did all of that on our own. We didn't even hire a driver. We just got a taxi.

Yes, the bobsled & zipline are both at MM. (And both are great!) We went there first, because DRF is supposed to be less crowded later in the day.

Have fun!

We did all of that on our own. We didn't even hire a driver. We just got a taxi.

Yes, the bobsled & zipline are both at MM. (And both are great!) We went there first, because DRF is supposed to be less crowded later in the day.

Have fun!

How were things priced at MM? Do you pay admission to the park or just for the activities you want to do or both?

Thanks!

How were things priced at MM? Do you pay admission to the park or just for the activities you want to do or both?

Thanks!

You only have to pay once, but there are several different ticket options. I think you can find pricing here http://www.rainforestadventure.com/tickets/?catID=124.

"Admission to the park" would be the sky lift ticket. It is the least expensive and gets you to the MM Pavilion where everything is located. You can ride the sky lift as many times as you want. The next level up is the bobsled ticket. It includes the sky lift & one ride on the bobsled. (If you want, you can purchase additional rides at the pavilion, but I didn't make a note of the prices for that.) The next price level is the zip line ticket. It again includes the sky lift. The last option is a 3-in-1 ticket. It includs the sky lift, bobsled & zip line. (You can still buy additional rides on the bobsled.) In fall 2011 we paid $137 each for the 3-in-1.

Included in any of these tickets is access to a pool with a water slide, a hummingbird garden (the national bird of Jamaica) and a museum-ish area. (At one point during the day, there were performers--dancers & musicians.) There is also a restaurant and, of course, a gift shop. My first impression was that the restaurant was a little over-priced, but when we received our food, the portions were very big. We could have easily split a plate. Try the festival! It's some kind of cross between a doughnut & cornbread--ask your server to tell you about it. (I know, it doesn't sound good, but it is!) But be warned, it is VERY filling! Our meal was definitely worth the price.

Hope that helps. I enjoyed the time we spent there. :)

You only have to pay once, but there are several different ticket options. I think you can find pricing here http://www.rainforestadventure.com/tickets/?catID=124.

"Admission to the park" would be the sky lift ticket. It is the least expensive and gets you to the MM Pavilion where everything is located. You can ride the sky lift as many times as you want. The next level up is the bobsled ticket. It includes the sky lift & one ride on the bobsled. (If you want, you can purchase additional rides at the pavilion, but I didn't make a note of the prices for that.) The next price level is the zip line ticket. It again includes the sky lift. The last option is a 3-in-1 ticket. It includs the sky lift, bobsled & zip line. (You can still buy additional rides on the bobsled.) In fall 2011 we paid $137 each for the 3-in-1.

Included in any of these tickets is access to a pool with a water slide, a hummingbird garden (the national bird of Jamaica) and a museum-ish area. (At one point during the day, there were performers--dancers & musicians.) There is also a restaurant and, of course, a gift shop. My first impression was that the restaurant was a little over-priced, but when we received our food, the portions were very big. We could have easily split a plate. Try the festival! It's some kind of cross between a doughnut & cornbread--ask your server to tell you about it. (I know, it doesn't sound good, but it is!) But be warned, it is VERY filling! Our meal was definitely worth the price.

Hope that helps. I enjoyed the time we spent there. :)

I LOVE Festival!!!!!! YUM!!!! Forgot about those!!

The rainforest adventure website says cruise passengers can not buy tickets through them??? I'm assuming we can buy them at Mystic Mountain when we get there? Is the line long?

About getting a taxi from the port.. Is it safe? How do you get one to get back to the port? I won't have my cell phone.

Thanks!

The rainforest adventure website says cruise passengers can not buy tickets through them??? I'm assuming we can buy them at Mystic Mountain when we get there? Is the line long?

Yes, you can buy them there. (And you can pay with a credit card. :)) There was no line when we went, but it didn't seem to be a busy day at all. I have read some TripAdvisor reviews that talked about terrible lines though. :-/

About getting a taxi from the port.. Is it safe? How do you get one to get back to the port? I won't have my cell phone.

If you get a Jamaica Tourist Board government-licensed taxi at the pier, you should be fine. Avoid any cab that doesn't have a red license plate!

Your driver will probably want to prearrange a time to come back for you. If that doesn't work out, someone from MM will call a cab for you. ...it seems like there was an info/help booth in the parking lot, but I could be wrong.

Enjoy your trip to MM!

Archived