A Legend Review so Dang Good it Doesn't Need Pictures

galawdog

A review of the Carnival Legend (Tampa to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman), September 16-23, 2012

HIDEOUS VANDALISM?: The ship is in excellent shape. I looked for the flaws that other reviewers have seized upon. I searched the elevators for gang graffiti, to no avail, as well as some disappointment. I expected the lobby elevators to be "tagged" by the dreaded Caribbean Royal Boys, the Cunard Cuzzins, or even the feared Norwegian 13.

This review will be in short paragraphs, so the reader may skip about. It will not be a day-by-day account, nor a meal-by-meal review (although I enjoy reading them).

MEET YOUR REVIEWERS: We are in our early fifties, and are empty nesters. We honeymooned on a new Carnival Jubilee 25 years ago, and took a few Carnival and NCL cruises with our children. (The SS Norway remains our favorite ship of all time. There will never be another like it.) After successfully kicking the children from the nest, we started cruising again. We loved the Elation from Mobile two years ago and the Legend last year (both in September). Thus far, we are accomplished Hurricane-Cheaters.

Under Carnival's new VIFP classification system, we are squarely in the middle of the Gold class. Carnival's records don't have our honeymoon cruise in the system. I still need to prove to Carnival that the guy in the 1987 photo with lots of hair, yet no sense, is me so we can inch ever so slightly toward Titanium, or whatever lies next. Until we do so, I feel Gold-plated, like unto that AMAZING bargain jewelry on the third deck. (Holy Moly, what would the general public think if they knew that Carnival cruisers had such an EXCLUSIVE lock on fabulous gold jewelry practically being given away...?)

PRE-CRUISE: We stayed again at the Hampton Inn, Rocky Point, after having driven from Georgia. On a "we can't go to sleep" lark, we drove all Friday night, arriving at 7:30 am on Saturday. The friendly desk clerk obviously wanted us out of his lobby, and allowed us to check in early. Very early. Good hotel. Easy shuttle service provided by Big Blue. The shuttle was prompt, both to the port and back to the hotel.

EMBARKATION: Arrived at the port on the Big Blue Shuttle at 11:30, and were given a Zone 17 card. We barely had time to sit down before our number was called. Boat Drinks by 12:10. Not bad.

MUSTER DRILL: Easy and painless, except for the couple who wanted everyone to know they were on the second sailing of a back-to-back. They were not happy that they had to undergo the muster drill again. The wife said "I came this close to hiding in the closet." Contrary to my nature, I said nothing.

CABIN: Our balcony cabin on the fourth deck (4172) was in a great area. There is a window just across the hallway that overlooks the atrium. The cabin was always spotless. An extra tip on the first day ensured that our steward would always kept our soft-sided cooler full of ice. (By the way, is there such a thing as a soft-sided cooler that doesn't leak?)

more to come

Galawdog,

Funny, but I was just wondering same thing yesterday. About a no leak cooler. Someone on CC mentioned a Polar Bear cooler. I went into PolarBear dot com, and they have them in all sizes. Guaranteed not to leak or sweat. I promply ordered one, for our Nov cruise. Sure hope it works.

Praise be, someone who can write and spell! Not an "alot" or "dinning" to be seen. And more than one gigantic paragraph! Pure joy. You must not be a product of the public schools. ;)

Love your wry humor as well. Looking forward to future installments.

Praise be, someone who can write and spell! Not an "alot" or "dinning" to be seen. And more than one gigantic paragraph! Pure joy. You must not be a product of the public schools. ;)

Love your wry humor as well. Looking forward to future installments.

And this is why people get turned off from writing reviews. CC becomes nothing more than endless discussions about tipping, chair hogging and DINING room attire.

I want to read all Legend reviews and I'm looking forward to reading more of the OPs!

Why did you need your cooler filled with ice each day? Is there not a fridge in the cabins on the Legend?

Ice in the fridge, in the cabin? Are you kidding me? Those little fridges barely keep anything cool (not even cold), let alone freeze anything.:eek:

LOL love your attitude!! and writing style :D

Me as well! As I was reading his review my only thought was I bet this man/woman has legal training. I browse up to his/her name and see galawdog and I was correct. Look forward to continuing your journey with you.

BUT WAIT......there's more. Stay tuned for my coining a new word: Boo-og.

(and to respond to a previous poster, I am indeed a product of public schools. I was president of my eighth grade class. Three times.)

MUTANT TOWEL ANIMALS: Our steward was first rate. However, I was tempted to ask our steward for half of his upfront tip to be returned, because his towel creations all looked like the unholy spawn of Marmaduke and Frodo. Except for one, which looked like the vah-jay-jay monster that provides fodder for the Dirty Show comedians. Jose needs to return to Towel Animal School. Seriously, it's fun to see that crazy towel animal every night, even after many cruises.

DINING/FOOD: In the past, we chose Early Seating, and were matched with couples who were interesting, pleasant and always on time. However, near the end of the week, it's sometimes hard to find something to talk about. This year, we requested Your Time Dining, and enjoyed it immensely.

Some nights we requested to be seated with random groups of people. We met some fabulous folks. The group dynamics are very different knowing that you won't be seated with them every night. It's possible to have pleasant conversations without having to concentrate on names, occupations, life story, etc. One night we sat with three other couples we had met at Sailaway. The last two nights, we requested a table for two, and were seated promptly. Your Time for us again in the future, for sure.

DINING PET PEEVE: On two different nights we observed a couple seated by the hostess at a booth for four. As soon as the hostess left, the couple promptly spread out and moved plates and tableware to turn it into a booth for two. I understand the staff will sometimes seat two people at a four-top on purpose, when the line outside the door is not long. However, it was crystal clear on both occasions that the staff intended to seat another couple at the same booth momentarily. It was also clear from the couple's swift actions that they knew what they were doing. Booth Hogs. (If Chair Hogs = Chogs, do Booth Hogs = Boo-ogs?) To respond to a potential flame, no, this did not affect my dining experience. But it lengthened the line for people waiting to be seated. Don't be a Boo-og.

FOOD QUALITY: We love a good meal in a fine restaurant, and we realize that Carnival's food is not fine restaurant quality. The quality may have even inched a little lower in the past few years. However, we enjoyed all our meals. I'm not willing to pay $300.00 more per week for higher food quality. HINT: The Indian vegetarian meal on the "Every Day" menu is fabulous. I ordered it two different nights and the meals were completely different. It's delicious, and is a week's worth of groceries.

We love to lunch at poolside on sea days. The grill, Asian and Deli lines provide delicious offerings without waiting in line forever.

EXCURSIONS: We don't book ship-sponsored excursions any more. Lots cheaper and less crowded that way.

COZUMEL: We enjoyed the Cozumel Bar Hop. A sober driver and a fun guide drive you to four seaside bars on the unspoiled Eastern shore. The ocean is beautiful and the waves are huge. The bars don't even have electricity, so they use solar power to run the blenders that make The Frozen Concoction that Helps Me Hang On. We loved the Bar Hop and will do it again. We are now FoHos. (Former Hoppers)

BELIZE: Having enjoyed a few hours at The Wet Lizard before, we booked the tour of the Belikin Brewery through the Lizard. It combines a tour of the City with a sipping tour at the brewery. Technically, it's an "all-you-can-drink" hour in the executive bar. However, it's an interesting showcase of Belikin's regular and specialty brews. Loved their Christmas blend, with notes of allspice and nutmeg. Highly recommended. Warning! If you are overserved the previous day on the Bar Hop, the notes of allspice and nutmeg are not quite so appealing. Right, Dear Wife? Heh.

ROATAN: Chilled on the Mahogany Bay beach. Wonderful.

GRAND CAYMAN: Just walked around near the pier, having done the island tour last year. It's our least favorite port. Very expensive.

More to come...........

A review of the Carnival Legend (Tampa to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman), September 16-23, 2012

HIDEOUS VANDALISM?: The ship is in excellent shape. I looked for the flaws that other reviewers have seized upon. I searched the elevators for gang graffiti, to no avail, as well as some disappointment. I expected the lobby elevators to be "tagged" by the dreaded Caribbean Royal Boys, the Cunard Cuzzins, or even the feared Norwegian 13.

This review will be in short paragraphs, so the reader may skip about. It will not be a day-by-day account, nor a meal-by-meal review (although I enjoy reading them).U

MEET YOUR REVIEWERS: We are in our early fifties, and are empty nesters. We honeymooned on a new Carnival Jubilee 25 years ago, and took a few Carnival and NCL cruises with our children. (The SS Norway remains our favorite ship of all time. There will never be another like it.) After successfully kicking the children from the nest, we started cruising again. We loved the Elation from Mobile two years ago and the Legend last year (both in September). Thus far, we are accomplished Hurricane-Cheaters.

Under Carnival's new VIFP classification system, we are squarely in the middle of the Gold class. Carnival's records don't have our honeymoon cruise in the system. I still need to prove to Carnival that the guy in the 1987 photo with lots of hair, yet no sense, is me so we can inch ever so slightly toward Titanium, or whatever lies next. Until we do so, I feel Gold-plated, like unto that AMAZING bargain jewelry on the third deck. (Holy Moly, what would the general public think if they knew that Carnival cruisers had such an EXCLUSIVE lock on fabulous gold jewelry practically being given away...?)

PRE-CRUISE: We stayed again at the Hampton Inn, Rocky Point, after having driven from Georgia. On a "we can't go to sleep" lark, we drove all Friday night, arriving at 7:30 am on Saturday. The friendly desk clerk obviously wanted us out of his lobby, and allowed us to check in early. Very early. Good hotel. Easy shuttle service provided by Big Blue. The shuttle was prompt, both to the port and back to the hotel.

EMBARKATION: Arrived at the port on the Big Blue Shuttle at 11:30, and were given a Zone 17 card. We barely had time to sit down before our number was called. Boat Drinks by 12:10. Not bad.

MUSTER DRILL: Easy and painless, except for the couple who wanted everyone to know they were on the second sailing of a back-to-back. They were not happy that they had to undergo the muster drill again. The wife said "I came this close to hiding in the closet." Contrary to my nature, I said nothing.

CABIN: Our balcony cabin on the fourth deck (4172) was in a great area. There is a window just across the hallway that overlooks the atrium. The cabin was always spotless. An extra tip on the first day ensured that our steward would always kept our soft-sided cooler full of ice. (By the way, is there such a thing as a soft-sided cooler that doesn't leak?)

more to come

Loving your review. DH and I are sailing Nov 18. In your Pre-Cruise commentary you stated the shuttle from the hotel took you to the port and back to the hotel after debarkation. By the way, we are also staying at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point also.

I thought their cruise pkg did not provide service from the port back to the hotel. Did you have the cruise pkg? Can you help out with a little clarification. Thanks

We also went on the Jubilee on our Honeymoon in 1987! May24th 1987 we embarked on her!!! We are also in our early 50's. I had to dig through to get a photo of us, it was the embarkatuion photo showing the date. I faxed a copy of that and they also wanted a copy of our drivers license's and about 2 weeks later it appeared on our cruise history. Will be going on the Legend for the 4th time in 32 days!!!!!!!!!! My favorite ship!:D:D

.... DH and I are sailing Nov 18. In your Pre-Cruise commentary you stated the shuttle from the hotel took you to the port and back to the hotel after debarkation. By the way, we are also staying at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point also.

I thought their cruise pkg did not provide service from the port back to the hotel. Did you have the cruise pkg? Can you help out with a little clarification. Thanks

Big Blue took us to the port and back to the hotel. Big Blue serves both the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn at Rocky Point. (They are both on the bay, adjacent to a Bahama Breeze restaurant. It's a nice way to ease into sailing mode).

Thoroughly enjoying your review! I totally agree with you about the SS NORWAY. There will definitely never be another like her. I was in my 30's when I sailed on her & am now 63 & although I have been on many fantastic cruises from 16,000 ton small ships to Voyager Class RCCL ships as well as several Disney cruises, I will never forget my cruise on the Norway. We had a balcony & Rita Moreno perfomed in the main showroom one night as well as a production of Hello Dolly. 30 years ago & still so memorable!

I took my first cruise for m y 30th birthday in 1979 & have gone on at least 1 cruise every year since. Next cruise Carnival Splendor May 2013.

Archived