Watching QM2 Leaving NYC

QueensFan

In addition to being a liner person, I am also a huge lighthouse nut. This has taken me and my parents to many places around the nation, tracking down and photographing the beacons. Yet, somehow, we have never seen those lights closest to us, on Staten Island.

My dad and I are planning a daytrip to see several lights on Staten Island. I got an idea to add another interest to this trip as I was looking at the World Ship Society NY Branch's website. This Saturday, the QM2 will be leaving New York for a transatlantic. The last light on the trip is Fort Wadsworth, right under the Veranzanno. Why not go see the light AND the Queen at the same time?

I am trying to figure out how to make this work. Seeing as it would be at the end of the trip, I have to caluclate when to leave home to see all the lights in time for the QM2 to pass under the bridge. I also am wondering from where the ship can be seen at the fort, where to park, etc.

Whatever you can help me with, I really appreciate.

Thanks!

_qf

There is a parking area to view the bridge (and ships!) right off the east-bound Belt Pkwy on the Brooklyn side; or you can park in Bay Ridge and walk down to the waterfront esplanade.

I don't know anything about the Staten Island side.

Michael

Can't help you with seeing her from Staten Island - weather permitting, I'll be watching from Jersey City with some other members of the Long Island Chapter of the Steamship Historical Society of America (we're having a meeting in Manhattan that day, part of which will be a lecture on QM2 by Stephen Payne, who I'm looking forward to meeting for the first time). Unfortunately it looks like the weather will be awful, so I may opt out of going over to Jersey to watch her leave...

Doug-

Seeing the weather, we are now thinking of not doing the lighthouse portion of the trip this weekend, and instead delaying it until maybe next weekend. However, we still might go see QM2.

I was wondering if the meeting was open to everyone? I would love to attend it. I also am considering joining the society after researching the website, and would like to get a feel for it first. Are we allowed to attend? If you want, you can email me at seagirtlight AT yahoo DOT com.

However, we still might go see QM2.

I won't, if the weather's bad - though I just heard a relatively promising forecast, all the others I've heard have been awful. We shall see.

If you want, you can email me at seagirtlight AT yahoo DOT com.

Will do, after this round of the Boards :) .

Archived