Taxi to eastern shore

stephanie13rown

I read a lot about people hiring a driver for the day through an agency, but I'm not really interested in paying $95 for a 3 hour tour that stops for tequila tastings and chocolate factories. Here's my plan: get off the ship and mosey around Puerta Maya for 30 minutes or so, then hop in a taxi and head over to El Cedral...pet the burro, take a picture with an iguana on my head, visit the tiny church, then be on my way. From there I'd like to stop by El Mirador and absorb the awe-inspiring beauty until I work up an appetite, then head over to Playa Bonita for lunch. After that I want to spend a couple hours exploring San Miguel, then zip back over to the cruise ship pier around the time they start blowing the "come back" horn. It'll be myself and a friend, so whatever transit we take, we'd be splitting the cost 2 ways.

What's our best bet for doing Coz our way?

Sounds like a lovely day! LOL

We have hired a driver recommended by a CC member for 4 hours. To see the East side of the island etc.

creslopez41955@hotmail.com is his email and he seems to be a very nice guy and is open to what we want to do as well.

we have planned for the Lighthouse, San Gervasio ruins and El Mirador with the possible additon of the chocolate factory.

for two he quoted $90.

There is also

http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

Good Luck

Cathie D

Thanks for the info. Where is a good beach to go to before returning to town and shopping?

Also, can you walk from town back to the shopping area near the Carnival ship dock? Years ago I walked and it was forever.

Thanks,

Ruth ;)

The distance hasn't changed. Yes you can walk it. We've done it twice i think, but no, I wouldn't do it anymore since a cab only costs a couple of bucks and it was always sooooo hot.

Definately recommend Crescencio. Especially two women traveling alone. Cozumel is generally very safe. Crescencio has a great reputation and is very friendly. He will make sure you have a great day. I'd use him instead of just showing up at the taxi line and getting a random driver. Many don't speak very good English and get kickbacks if they take you certain places. Crescencio will make sure you have a great time!

Definately recommend Crescencio. Especially two women traveling alone. Cozumel is generally very safe. Crescencio has a great reputation and is very friendly. He will make sure you have a great day. I'd use him instead of just showing up at the taxi line and getting a random driver. Many don't speak very good English and get kickbacks if they take you certain places. Crescencio will make sure you have a great time!

Hi, TravelMom...thanks for the referral. How can I contact Crescencio?

Why not just rent a car?

It's only $40 and the trip around the islan is little more than 2 gallons of gas.

We do it every time and have never had any problems.

Nole, we considered that, but didn't want to run into any trouble should we choose to have a margarita with lunch. Also, we were unsure about parking in San Miguel.

Still, it's definitely something to consider! You said y'all generally rent a car--could you tell me more about your experience? Who did you rent from? How different is it than driving here in the States?

Archived