What to do in Montego Bay???

thompa3

My wife wasn't feeling well so we didn't do Dunn's River Falls. We took one of those JUBA buses, the girl said she would give us a two hour tour for $10 pp. So we did that. It stops at all the major shopping areas and Margaritaville.

If you're not going to the beach or to Margaritaville, there's not that much to do in Jamaica except get hassled by locals trying to force their bracelets on you. Didn't like Jamaica at all. If we are ever in Jamaica again, we will do the waterfall. Otherwise we would probably stay on the ship, or just go to the shopping area at the pier.

We were in MB in March '05. Went to Dr. Cave's Beach, along with seemingly 5,000 (literally) other people. There were 5 ships in MB at the same time. It was very pretty, but VERY crowded. $10 to get in, $5 for a chair, on and on. Were approached for braids and drugs within 10 yds of the entrance.

We left within 1/2 hour and walked to Margueritaville. Fun place, but be prepared for crowded.

HOWEVER, Margueritaville had a kind of concierge thing going on when you left - they would arrange a (sanctioned) taxi for you. We got the best cab driver, probably late 30's, in a fairly new vehicle, which could only take 2 people. He told us the mountains of Jamaica are breathtaking, and offered to do a 1 hour tour for $30. Had we known this earlier, we would have.

Sounds like you want to go to Margueritaville anyway, so talk to their concierge. I don't remember this man's name, but I'm sure he's popular on the island.

We were at Sunset Beach in January. It may not be the most luxurious place but it is clean and we had a blast. It has beach chairs and umbrellas made of straw. The drinks were small but good. The beer was Red Stripe and it was good and cold. The food wasn't bad. There was no problem with leaving your sign and sail card. They put them in an envelope at the front desk and when you leave you pick them up at security. Security calls you a taxi and off we were to the ship(Conquest). It was well worth the $20.

I have a few questions for recent MB visitors, since I haven't been since '01.

Is it still Margueritaville or is it Margaritaville now that Buffett has a stake in it?

How many Margaritavilles are there in Jamaica now? I think there were 5 the last time I counted.

If we did Sunset Beach the next time we visited, would there still be time to stop in Margaritaville before heading back to the ship, or is Sunset Beach quite a drive away?

Thanx everyone!

Jamaica is definitely different from life at home, but I wouldn't say it's significantly worse than any other island in the Caribbean...you just have to take it at face value, be aware of what's going on around you, and make the most of it. I vowed I'd never go back after I visited Ocho Rios in 1995, but my visit to MoBay last year completely changed my mind! The shopkeepers can be quite assertive (mostly because tourism is such a big part of their livelihood), but a polite nod and a smile with a "no thank you" while you keep walking is usually enough in the larger shopping areas. Just stay in the well-traveled areas and be mindful, and you'll be fine.

But if you're craving a little more adventure, I highly recommend the Conquest's Canopy Tour. Traversing a jungle by zipline is an unforgettable experience! :cool:

Jamaica is definitely different from life at home, but I wouldn't say it's significantly worse than any other island in the Caribbean...you just have to take it at face value, be aware of what's going on around you, and make the most of it. I vowed I'd never go back after I visited Ocho Rios in 1995, but my visit to MoBay last year completely changed my mind! The shopkeepers can be quite assertive (mostly because tourism is such a big part of their livelihood), but a polite nod and a smile with a "no thank you" while you keep walking is usually enough in the larger shopping areas. Just stay in the well-traveled areas and be mindful, and you'll be fine.

But if you're craving a little more adventure, I highly recommend the Conquest's Canopy Tour. Traversing a jungle by zipline is an unforgettable experience! :cool:

We are on the Conquest in june and are booked to do the canopy tour. I am very excited but nervous about this excursion. Did you feel safe? How long does it take to get to the canopy tour? Do you ride in a bus? Will they drop you off where they picked you up or can you request a different location? We are planning to go to Margaritaville afterwards. Will they take us there or will we need to get a taxi afterwards? I would love more info on this excursion. Thanks!:)

We were on the Conquest in early April. We didn't plan any excursions in MoBay. We thought we'd just shop. You get off the ship and walk through a terminal with stores.

Don't go to the shops outside and to the left of the terminal though - the pushiest people in the world. They followed us around in the shops, wouldn't let us look at anything without showing us sizes etc. Got hasseled to have braids etc. We turned around within 10 minutes, did some in the terminal shopping and hung out on the ship all day...

We are on the Conquest in june and are booked to do the canopy tour. I am very excited but nervous about this excursion. Did you feel safe? How long does it take to get to the canopy tour? Do you ride in a bus? Will they drop you off where they picked you up or can you request a different location? We are planning to go to Margaritaville afterwards. Will they take us there or will we need to get a taxi afterwards? I would love more info on this excursion. Thanks!:)

Hey, TxStacey...you'll have a great time! Our ride was probably about 45 minutes each way in a fairly nice air-conditioned minibus, and you'll get to see some of the Jamaican countryside as you go up into the mountains. I was a little nervous too, but the guides do a great job telling you everything you'll need to know. They give you a quick but thorough safety briefing and reassure you that all the equipment is professional-rated climbing equipment that's checked regularly, plus they start you out on the traverses that are closer to the ground first. They do all the harnessing and hooking you onto the wire (2 wires actually--for double safety!), and they specifically tell you that they're the only ones who should be handling the equipment...so all you really have to do is follow the guide and ride across! I felt completely safe. Our tour was shorter because Hurricane Ivan had helped himself to a few of the traverses :( , but I think we were gone for about 3.5-4 hours from beginning to end. I took my camera but never really used it--but they have employees stationed at various points during the tour with digital cameras, and at the end they'll burn all the pictures of you and your party onto a CD at a fairly reasonable price (we bought ours!). Our tour was in the afternoon and we got caught up in a Jamaican traffic jam on the way back, so the driver dropped our entire group back at the ship...but I'm guessing you might have to catch a taxi to Margaritaville. Enjoy!

Something a little different? We went to the "haunted" Rose Manor (which was later used for a "reality" haunted house show). It was interesting to hear the stories and see the pictures that other people have sent back -- bit of a drive, though. But you could always do that and then head to Margaritaville, which we did also and it was great fun!

pcruz4ever, I was interested in the Rose Hall but my wife didn't want to go. I love touring old historic mansions with period decorations, but it is my wife's nightmare. Did you take a picture of that place with the mirror, and did Annie Palmer show up when you developed/printed the picture at home?

Hey, TxStacey...you'll have a great time! Our ride was probably about 45 minutes each way in a fairly nice air-conditioned minibus, and you'll get to see some of the Jamaican countryside as you go up into the mountains. I was a little nervous too, but the guides do a great job telling you everything you'll need to know. They give you a quick but thorough safety briefing and reassure you that all the equipment is professional-rated climbing equipment that's checked regularly, plus they start you out on the traverses that are closer to the ground first. They do all the harnessing and hooking you onto the wire (2 wires actually--for double safety!), and they specifically tell you that they're the only ones who should be handling the equipment...so all you really have to do is follow the guide and ride across! I felt completely safe. Our tour was shorter because Hurricane Ivan had helped himself to a few of the traverses :( , but I think we were gone for about 3.5-4 hours from beginning to end. I took my camera but never really used it--but they have employees stationed at various points during the tour with digital cameras, and at the end they'll burn all the pictures of you and your party onto a CD at a fairly reasonable price (we bought ours!). Our tour was in the afternoon and we got caught up in a Jamaican traffic jam on the way back, so the driver dropped our entire group back at the ship...but I'm guessing you might have to catch a taxi to Margaritaville. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I am glad you felt it was safe since we are taking our 13 year old daughter with us! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I am glad you felt it was safe since we are taking our 13 year old daughter with us! :eek:

Funny story, actually. My friend and I ended up going through most of the tour with a family of four from Dallas...I think the kids were a 10-year-old boy and his 8-year-old sister if I'm remembering right, and these kids were fearless. Coolest kids I've ever seen, and they absolutely loved it. The guides hang out at each end of the traverse to launch you and then receive you on the other side, and the girl had kind of a fast bump into one of the guys. With a sly little smile, this cute little blondeheaded girl proudly announces, "Mom! I think I hurt that guy!" :D We can tell who carried away the bigger scars from that encounter...

I agree with other posters that Jamaica is a beautiful place. Margaritaville is always a fun place to be. DH and I went on a plantation tour while we were in Montego Bay (Croydon Plantation), and had a great time. Took a bus into the countryside and got to eat some wonderful pineapple, coconuts, sugar cane, etc. They also served a very nice lunch.

If we did Sunset Beach the next time we visited, would there still be time to stop in Margaritaville before heading back to the ship, or is Sunset Beach quite a drive away?

YES - Sunset Beach is close to the ship. You will have time to visit both if you want to.

We were at Sunset Beach last Wednesday (Conquest). The beach was great, the water absolutely gorgeous, the drinks were strong, the beer cold. It was our best excursion and well worth the $20. You don't hand your card over to just anyone, you register at the desk and they give you a receipt. There is even some snorkeling along the rocks next to the nude beach (which was empty). I highly recommend it.

I agree with other posters that Jamaica is a beautiful place. Margaritaville is always a fun place to be. DH and I went on a plantation tour while we were in Montego Bay (Croydon Plantation), and had a great time. Took a bus into the countryside and got to eat some wonderful pineapple, coconuts, sugar cane, etc. They also served a very nice lunch.

This is what we plan to do in AUg! (the Plantation tour) yeahhooo only 68 more days! :D

I would NEVER stay on the ship when we arrive in a foreign country - every place is a new adventure. We hired Orville Taylor's company to meet us at the port and show us around in his air conditioned van. Took a nice tour, then ate at the Pork Pit. From there the driver took us to Hip Street which is near Margaritaville, Doctor's Cove Beach and shopping! The driver agreed to meet us at Margaritaville whenever we were ready to go back to the ship. They just waited by Margaritaville for several hours while we all went exploring. By the way, on Hip Street is the tiny bar with the Jamaican Bobsled Team's own bobsled right on a little stage inside - you can even sit in it and take pictures of it. the bar is called "cool Running" after the movie.

Archived