Royal Caribbean - Baths at Virgin Gorda Excursion

cctimmom

Has anyone done the RCCL excursion:

The Baths at Virgin Gorda - STM8

Overview: The Baths, are an intriguing group of sea caves and unusual rock formations, spectacularly set on an amazing beach located on Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. A 1.5 – 2 hour scenic boat ride from the cruise ship docked on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Highlights: Beautiful boat ride from the St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands (1.5 hr. – 2hr boat ride). Hike, swim and enjoy the beach and explore the sea caves known as the "The Baths". Notes: Passports required, swim suit, comfortable walking shoes are recommended.

Just looking to hear all about it (and see if anyone has any pictures). Was it worth it?

TIA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just did this tour with Royal Caribbean last week. The boat trip is about 30-40 minutes each way. The boat was rather full (read: you are sitting practically cheek to cheek), but there is a good breeze and plenty of shaded or sunny seats, depending on your preference. The crew handed out bottled water to everyone on the way over. Once at Virgin Gorda, we got on an open-air bus to take us to the Baths (10-15 minute trip). At the Baths, we had 2.25 hours to explore on our own.

There are two beaches here. The side you arrive at first is the Baths beach side, which has lockers and restrooms and a bar. You can go on the path through the giant boulders to reach Devil's Bay. Also a lovely beach, but no facilities here. There is a path back to the top here, so you do not have to go back through the boulders to get back to the buses.

The Baths are lovely! The large boulders go right out into the water and you can actually be in the water and in the shade! Wonderful for a very fair person like myself. Of course, there is plenty of sun too. We were there on a Sunday and while there were a good number of people there, it never felt crowded.

On the way back to Tortola, the boat crew served rum and Coke (together or separately :)), no diet Coke though. The captain also sang a rather dirty Calypso tune for us. I found it very funny but can see where others, especially those with children, might not.

You can do this trip on your own by taking the public ferry. I think I figured that the DIY trip would work out to $41 per person. The RC excursion was $59 and included drinks that the DIY version does not. We probably would have done this on our own except that the ferries had limited service on Sundays when we were there.

I highly recommend going to the Baths, either as DIY or through the cruise line. We had a great day and saw some awesome and unique scenery. My impression was that others on the ship who had done island tours of Tortola only thought those trips were so-so.

mama,

your costs sound like you went from Tortola, but OP looks like its one from St Thomas. IF they have a VG excursion from ST thomas now, I going to start looking at the adventurer and dumping the Brilliance. Only reason we going on her is to get to the Baths.

Wow there is an excursion from ST to VG. $119 and in my opinion well worth it. cost is more then offset by the reduction in airfare to fly to SJU. To bad Adventurer not going to ST, the week im cruising otherwise Id be jumping over to her. Love the boards, learn something new all the time.

TYVM OP that excursion has just saved me alot of money in the future.

Archived