Gem heading to Boston

BlueJai

We can all say what NCL should be doing, but I bet if we were in the shoes of the 10/29 sailers it would be a different song and dance. At this point NCL should just cancel. That is what I would like to hear if I were on that sailing so I could work on a back up plan. We don't leave until Tues from Manhattan but IF they are still unable to open we'll probably be in limbo too and I'm not so sure I will be too excited about that. Most insurance doesn't cover cancelation due to weather, unless something happened to your house and made it uninhabitable. I would hope CCL would give us the option of a shortened cruise OR re-booking/refund.

We can all say what NCL should be doing, but I bet if we were in the shoes of the 10/29 sailers it would be a different song and dance.

Agree

At this point NCL should just cancel. That is what I would like to hear if I were on that sailing so I could work on a back up plan. .

I thought originally thats what I probably would want, but when I rethought this, I don't necessarily know if I would want this or not. I only get 1 week vacation every 2 to 5 years (closer usually to 5). I also can't afford 2 vacations at one time and chances are the refund would not be back in my account to use before my vacation was up. There is no place close at this time of year that would be cheap (no refund yet) and IMO worthwhile doing, This time of year where I live is damp, cold and miserable. I would probably want to grab whatever was remaining of my cruise vacation.

Even if NCL ventures a guess as to what the majority of their passengers would want, there is no guarantee that they would be right. They seem right now to be going on most would prefer to save at least a portion of what is left. Be it people who think like me or those poor souls that have already flew into NYC and are sitting in a hotel waiting for the ship to come in. Could they afford to send a cruise with only 1/4 - 1/3 of their passengers, by giving the option of total refund to those who wish it. Since NCL financial department is the only one to know how much money they can actually lose sending a cruise out. And especially a cruise to Bermuda where passengers tend to be in port longer than other stop in ports and not spending as much money onboard.

I believe NCL is really in a no win position and anything they do, passengers will be upset.

I just heard from a friend of mine who is employed by Norwegian. He lives out on Long Island and says that his home is under water and being pumped out. He has lost everything but says his family is okay and for that he is thankful.

I wonder how many other Norwegian employees are like him?

You pays your nickel; you takes your chances. It is a shame people's vacations have been screwed up, but most of us who have sailed often have had ports dropped/changed/altered from time to time. We've missed ports due to weather. We've changed ports due to strikes in Greece. We've been delayed leaving. We've left early. You know this stuff happens, so be disappointed, but don't be a pain in the tushy about it.

I agree with you on I knew it was hurricane season when I booked but, this is not a normal weather related inconvenience. This is an event of epic proportions which has destroyed & devastated a majority of the tri-state area on a scale that no one could have anticipated. My thoughts right now are not on partying on a cruise but, rather on my community & the community I serve on trying to get back to a sense of normalcy. Your flippant comments about missing ports or delay of or leaving early on a cruise fails to compare to the enormity of the situation facing the citizens in these areas that have been so devastatingly affected.

I agree with you on I knew it was hurricane season when I booked but, this is not a normal weather related inconvenience. This is an event of epic proportions which has destroyed & devastated a majority of the tri-state area on a scale that no one could have anticipated. My thoughts right now are not on partying on a cruise but, rather on my community & the community I serve on trying to get back to a sense of normalcy. Your flippant comments about missing ports or delay of or leaving early on a cruise fails to compare to the enormity of the situation facing the citizens in these areas that have been so devastatingly affected.

How did your family fare? I live in the Pacific Northwest and other than a contribution to The Red Cross ( sent in yesterday's mail), I wish that there was more that I could do to help. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the storm.

Mandy

My family is fine. Thanks for the concern. We are among the lucky ones. A great many communities have been decimated. I can't even recognize some of the places I have known my entire life. It is beyond sad. We will rebuild & move on because that is what needs to be done.

You pays your nickel; you takes your chances. It is a shame people's vacations have been screwed up, but most of us who have sailed often have had ports dropped/changed/altered from time to time. We've missed ports due to weather. We've changed ports due to strikes in Greece. We've been delayed leaving. We've left early. You know this stuff happens, so be disappointed, but don't be a pain in the tushy about it.

It is not just ships and cruising. I have had train trips delayed and cancelled, I have had airline flights delayed and cancelled, I have had highways flooded out causing detours, etc. I have been stuck at ski resorts, and more times than I can count on one hand have had to stay at hotels longer than planned. When traveling stuff happens, some due to the weather, some due to mechanical failures. I plan my travels with the idea of getting there a day early and getting back a day late, but sometimes that day isn't even enough.

While I expect my expenses refunded when my trip isn't delivered, I never expect I will be given additional compensation or credit for a future trip. If I get any it is icing on the cake. The travel industry are aware of stuff happening and tend to factor in those with their ticket contracts. And there is a reason why they do, otherwise when the stuff happens they would be bankrupted.

My family is fine. Thanks for the concern. We are among the lucky ones. A great many communities have been decimated. I can't even recognize some of the places I have known my entire life. It is beyond sad. We will rebuild & move on because that is what needs to be done.

Just noticed you're from Manahawkin. My in-laws lived in Beach Haven West about 30 years ago and DH spent alot of time there. How bad was Manahawkin hit? Looks like LBI is devastated.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Archived