Miami Excursion ? about Airboat through Everglades

I have searched through the forum to find this answer and haven't found one yet. So, here goes:

We are traveling with our 2 kids (2 and 7). And, we would like to do the Airboat Ride through the Everglades excursion in Miami. Has anyone done this? Is it safe for my 2yo? My 7yo will have an absolute blast! And, my DH is really looking forward to it. I just don't want to split the family up if we can help it. I know others who have done this excursion in PC, but this one is in Miami.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We did the Miami one a couple of years ago and there were several children who looked to be around the age of your youngest. It can be noisy (they provide foam earplugs). You sit on benchlike seats (I don't think with seat belts) so you would want to hold on to the children. I don't really see much of a problem. There is a nice animal show at the end also.

We did the Miami one a couple of years ago and there were several children who looked to be around the age of your youngest. It can be noisy (they provide foam earplugs). You sit on benchlike seats (I don't think with seat belts) so you would want to hold on to the children. I don't really see much of a problem. There is a nice animal show at the end also.

Thanks Big Al B ~ that's what I thought. It's funny, though. Loud noises don't scare my 2yo. But, my 7yo is easily startled!! Go figure. Anyway, thanks for the input. I think we'll go ahead and sign up.

Happy Sailing! :)

I did it last year.

Big Al described it perfectly. The kids will enjoy the animal show afterward as well.

One of the good things about the Dawn itinerary (its least appealing feature) is that you can take the ship (and the Spirit) a number of times and do something different every time in Miami and Port Canaveral.

We did this same excursion in February. It is safe for your kids. I would bring your own earplugs though. After boarding the airboat, they passed around a roll of toiletpaper. Everyone was to tear some off and use it for earplugs. It did not work very well and it was quite noisy. Just go to Home Depot or similar and buy a package that contains several pairs of those foam types and you will be all set to go. We had a tour guide by the name of Tony who was excellent! He boarded the bus at the ship terminal and was our guide throughout the entire trip. Very informative and entertaining.

We did this same excursion in February. It is safe for your kids. I would bring your own earplugs though. After boarding the airboat, they passed around a roll of toiletpaper. Everyone was to tear some off and use it for earplugs. It did not work very well and it was quite noisy. Just go to Home Depot or similar and buy a package that contains several pairs of those foam types and you will be all set to go. We had a tour guide by the name of Tony who was excellent! He boarded the bus at the ship terminal and was our guide throughout the entire trip. Very informative and entertaining.

We did this same tour a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know about sticking toilet paper in our ears. The ride was a blast and I would love to do it again. Your kids should be safe.

Thanks everyone. I pre-booked our excursions on line today (let's hope it takes...I've heard this takes persistence). And, I'm planning to shop for ear plugs tomorrow (just in case :) ) My DS is REALLY looking forward to seeing the crocs and alligators (although he seems to be more excited about the train ride to NYC than anything else! He's Thomas the Tank Engine's #1 FAN and loves trains more than life itself).

Thanks again.

The airboat tours are a lot of fun. I've never done one from a cruiseline, but hit a couple on my drives back from the Keys. I have just one word to add...BUGSPRAY. Oh yeah, you don't mention your sailing dates, but it's already really hot and muggy in Florida and remember that the Everglades is essentially a huge swamp and we have all sorts of critters, bugs, and insects...some of which are poisonous...so I'll say it again: BUGSPRAY! But these airboat tours are great for kids, you're 7yo should love it. Hope you have a great time!

The airboat tours are a lot of fun. I've never done one from a cruiseline, but hit a couple on my drives back from the Keys. I have just one word to add...BUGSPRAY. Oh yeah, you don't mention your sailing dates, but it's already really hot and muggy in Florida and remember that the Everglades is essentially a huge swamp and we have all sorts of critters, bugs, and insects...some of which are poisonous...so I'll say it again: BUGSPRAY! But these airboat tours are great for kids, you're 7yo should love it. Hope you have a great time!

Thanks hotfishnora ~ I absolutely HATE creepy crawlies. But, my DH and kids don't seem to mind them. I will definitely LOAD UP on the bug spray. I bought some "Off" with deet the other day just for this cruise. Just out of curiosity, other than mosquitos, what other kinds of 6 and 8 legged and winged friends might we run into?

BTW, we're on the Dawn on 6/12

Poisonous bugs? They do have poisonous snakes but bugs? Some bugs have venom and you may be allergic but I haven't heard of poisonous bugs...bring bug spray but let's not create panic in Florida-needless panic anyway....

Archived