The Container Store Sale on Travel Items

AAAMom

Hi Everyone,

I was at the Container Store yesterday and they had travel items on sale. I've been wanting to try the Eagle Creek Packing System and they were on sale. I bought two envelopes (one med and one large). I've been packing in jumbo ziplocks for sooooo long, I thought these might be great to try instead.

Thanks for the information. A bit of OCD when it comes to being organized I thought these looked neat. What made you decide to buy the envelopes and not the cube system? We need some new luggage someday as our is over 24 years old though still in pretty good shape. Seems many of the new luggage lines have organizers in them so I may hold off awhile buying the organizers. If we continue to cruise will also need a good garment bag.

Thanks for the tip.

Sweetdreams,

I bought the envelopes because it was very easy to get the clothes into and out of them. The board that comes with the envelope has folding instructions and helps in folding shirts. Also, the same board will help you take an item out of the middle of the pile (in case you don't unpack).

I bought the packing cubes on http://www.ebags.com and I love them. Don't know how I packed without them before! They keep everything so organized, neat and easy to find, especially for those pre-cruise days in a hotel when I don't want to fully unpack but want to be able to get to all my things.

I don't have a Container Store near me, so perhaps I'll look online and see their sale price if they have web shopping available. I'm considering buying another set - small, med, large. However, ebags has a set of three in pink, on sale for $20.00 and 10% of the purchase goes to the Susan Koman breast cancer foundation.

AAAMom, you think the envelopes are better than the cubes? Any particular reason. I'm open to all packing suggestions!!! Thanks.

Jane

Jane,

I really like the cube system & think it would work best for my travel needs and "need" to organize everything. My parents have some of the envelops & the folding gizmo like store use to fold shirts. I got hooked on a LLBean toiletry bag several years ago and could not live without it. Always keep it full before I put it away & so it's always ready which really reduces need to run around before traveling (or unexpected trips to hospital!). I would consider the envelopes & cubes but need to do the luggage shopping first. When we bought my DD luggage for her trip to Europe I was suprised how much luggage has improved over the years. Her 30-inch has zip out mesh, plastic & fabric organizers all ready in the piece which attach to the lid portion. I borrowed this piece for our cruise & it was wonderful to pack. Any thoughts about a garment bag? I do not typicall use one but don't see how I could cruise without one with formal wear.

Jane110,

Thanks for the heads up about the cubes at Ebags. I'm definitely getting those. Personally, I think I would like the envelopes better for shirts, pants, shorts and skirts. I would use the cubes for socks, undies, workout stuff, etc.

FamilyCruzer,

Here is the Eagle Creek site...it should explain the system. http://www.eaglecreek.com/

First of all, let me say that i love packing (crazy, i know;)), and am always looking for ways to pack light. I bought a set of packing cubes from LLbean last year and they worked great (i dont think they sell them anymore though, but i dont really see the ones from ebags/eagle creek/ect as being any different other than some that have a clear top instead of mesh. I've never tried the envelopes, but i feel like those might work better with blouses/collared shirts. I've used the cubes on every trip i've taken since i got them, and they definately help keep things organized. However, the large cubes can be sort of awkward to pack since theyre a weird size. what i mean by that is that i could fit two tshirts side by side, but then theres that little empty space in the middle so you just kind of end up throwing random things in there (or rolled up tshirts, etc). I think it would be nice if it had a stiff bottom. The smallest cube, however, is my favorite. It's the perfect size for underwear, socks, bras, everything! It comes in handy when i stay at my friends' apartments for weekends too, not just on vacations. Throw in some underwear, bar/club wear, tshirts, and i'm good to go!

As for luggage, I recently went on a weeklong trip to a resort in the Dominican Republic with some friends, and took a rolling Kipling duffel bag with me. It looked something like this:

http://www.luggagesource.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/12/product-id/546981.html

The thing was sturdy, and when i packed it, still decently light enough to carry on my shoulder as a duffel. I fit 2 pairs of sandals, a pair of sneakers, more than 10 tshirts/tank tops, a bunch of shorts, pjs, underwear, bathing suits, medicines (which i put in a small tupperware) I packed all my clothes and shoes in there, and carried my small amount of toiletries in a carry-on tote so nothing would spill/get squished if other suitcases were stacked on top of my bag during the flight. It's great if you're going on short trips, or if you're going to destinations where you dont need to bring many clothes.

Kipling can be pricey, but my mother (who LOVES kipling) has found a ton of kipling steals at stores like Tjmaxx. For example, the other week, she bought some more of those duffels for 99 dollars. (theyre 225 originally). Actually, the ones she bought this time were similar to the duffel in the link above, but the bottom half of the duffel is a separate compartment for shoes (unfortunately meaning less space on top for clothes). This is def. too small to be your only piece of luggage, but might be a good second suitcase if you plan on bringing two. Generally we like the soft sided suitcases because theyre lighter than the hard ones. And besides, they expand a little (which comes in handy if you tend to buy a lot of stuff when you travel, like i do). We also bring a bunch of large white trash bags, which are good for holding dirty laundry. sometimes i even use them to line hotel drawers if they look kind of crusty...

Wow great info ,, didn't realize you could get things like that.. since I haven't been on a vacation in 18yrs I think I am do .. I did buy new luggage tho LOL

Thanks all for the helpful hints!!

I also swear by the packing cubes. I started using them a year ago and they make packing so much easier. You can see everything easliy and take them right from luggage to dresser drawer or closet. When one is emptied I start rolling up the dirty clothes to put in there and that makes packing to go home that much easier. I use packing cubes for even weekend trips. And they make going through TSA checks much easier than having everything ruffled through.

We've never used the packing cubes, but we use "Space Bags" whenever we travel, but only on our return. Almost all our dirty clothes (especially underwear and knit stuff) get put into the space bags so that we have room for our souvenirs!

But be careful! The space bags give you more room, but they also let you make your luggage heavier! Don't put yourself in a position to pay for overweight luggage.

The other thing that we do on our return is consolidate our carry-ons into 1 bag. That gives us the second carry-on for fragile things that we don't want to pack.

• 2 weeks later...
I have always heard it is best to roll your clothes when you pack. That looks like what you guys are doing. I always thought everything would turn out wrinkled. Will someone respond?

I fold everything. I'd rather have crease marks than whatever rolling would cause. I've read that the rolling method allows you more room, and there may be something to it. But after folding carefully and putting items in ziplock bags there's always been plenty of room for everything I'm taking.

JMHO

Archived