Walk to Julia St Pier From Fulton Garage

vital1

Thanks for the feedback!! I was hoping you would come back and let us know. Our experience was based on two ships, and much colder/wetter weather in December. I will modify any future advice I give based on what your experience was. Glad it was a good trip and once again, THANKS!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

You're welcome! I always try to come back and answer questions. If it was raining we would've definitely taken the shuttle back to the garage. Nothing worse than wet feet:D.

Yay!! I am so glad you came back to tell us and that you had an easy time of it. Sounds like what we will most likely do - minus the hotel stay as we are not far from NOL.

I think you had prereserved the parking garage right? How was the check in? I have printed off our reservation confirmation - is that all you had to show them? Did you have to do anything on the day you left the garage? Check with anyone or get a reciept or anything?

Thanks! Crossing my fingers for a review of the rest of your trip! :o;)

I did reserve the garage ahead of time. I packed my confirmation like a dummy so I showed the guy in the office my email confirmation on my phone:D. Here is what happens......you drive in garage and press the button for a ticket like you are going to pay. We went to the office on the second floor and showed the guys my email. He wrote on the back of the ticket that he saw it and we went to the ship. Remember what floor you are on and if it's upper or lower:D. When we left, I came to the gate and didn't know what to do because you put the ticket in the machine and it tells you how much to pay. Well, I went ahead and did that and it sucked my ticket in and said I owed $160:eek:. Luckily the girl that works there was sitting beside the machine and came over when I asked her to. She was able to get the ticket out and open the gate with her key. She seemed annoyed, but oh well.

As far as a review, I did a mini one on our roll call. I'm not much of a writer so it's very abbreviated. I may copy and paste it to the main RCI boards, but I don't like some of the snarky comments people leave there. I try to remain drama free in my real life and online:). If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer what I can. She is a beautiful ship and I would sail her and RCI again without hesitation!

I lived in NOLA back in the 90's and know how crazy the traffic can be. I have cruised from there once (Carnival) and it was a zoo. This time we are doing NCL and we are driving down the nite before and had a question regarding the parking garages themselves.

We are bringing all 6 of our kids. Youngest at time of travel will be 3. Lots of luggage. We have one of the full size very large SUV's. Often we have problems fitting into standard spaces in parking garages. Anyone know if the spaces are large enough for vehicles this size. Tahoe/Suburban size?

I lived in NOLA back in the 90's and know how crazy the traffic can be. I have cruised from there once (Carnival) and it was a zoo. This time we are doing NCL and we are driving down the nite before and had a question regarding the parking garages themselves.

We are bringing all 6 of our kids. Youngest at time of travel will be 3. Lots of luggage. We have one of the full size very large SUV's. Often we have problems fitting into standard spaces in parking garages. Anyone know if the spaces are large enough for vehicles this size. Tahoe/Suburban size?

There were plenty of them parked in the Fulton Garage. I hheard people complaining about how tight the spaces were in the whale lot though.

Vital1. Great review. We have prepaid for Fulton Street also. You mentioned you put the ticket into the machine. What were you supposed to do? It sounds like you wait until someone shows up???

How is getting into the lot. I know you entered the night before but we will be getting there on Saturday for the RCI cruise.

Anyone with arriving on sail day have any experiences or tips to share?

TIA.

• 2 weeks later...

vital

I have a few questions for you. I'm going on Carnival but since you've gone through this and we are going to be staying at the same hotel (Hilton) you did, I figured you would be the best person to ask. I was thinking about parking at Fulton place since the hotel wants $35+ per night to park. We are staying there two nights so that would be $46+ savings right there. I was planning on dropping off luggage and family at the hotel and then parking. I would just walk back to the hotel. I was wondering if the riverwalk from Hilton would take us all the way to Carnival's terminal? Is that walk a covered walk? Does Fulton place allow you to leave and come back (I could walk to the garage and get the car, load up, drop luggage and family at the terminal, then drive back and park and take the shuttle)? I read someone had called fulton place and that they will only shuttle 1 person if you have more than 2 in your group.:eek:

I could book fulton place for 4 days and only stay 2 then park the Carnival's garage if I had to.

Thanks and please, anyone with suggestions chime in!

vital

I have a few questions for you. I'm going on Carnival but since you've gone through this and we are going to be staying at the same hotel (Hilton) you did, I figured you would be the best person to ask. I was thinking about parking at Fulton place since the hotel wants $35+ per night to park. We are staying there two nights so that would be $46+ savings right there. I was planning on dropping off luggage and family at the hotel and then parking. I would just walk back to the hotel. I was wondering if the riverwalk from Hilton would take us all the way to Carnival's terminal? Is that walk a covered walk? Does Fulton place allow you to leave and come back (I could walk to the garage and get the car, load up, drop luggage and family at the terminal, then drive back and park and take the shuttle)? I read someone had called fulton place and that they will only shuttle 1 person if you have more than 2 in your group.:eek:

I could book fulton place for 4 days and only stay 2 then park the Carnival's garage if I had to.

Thanks and please, anyone with suggestions chime in!

Good Morning! Personally, if I was cruising on Carnival, I would use Fulton the nights I was staying at the Hilton and park at Carnival's terminal. I've used both now, and you cannot beat the convenience of parking in the garage at the terminal Carnival uses:). That being said, here are answers to your questions:

No, the Riverwalk Mall ends at the Julia Street terminal. The inside door that says "to cruise terminal" is chained and locked so you go out the opposite door leading to the "whale" parking lot. When you cross into the port there, you are at the RCI and NCL terminal. The Carnival terminal is further down and you would have to walk/drag luggage down a one way street with concrete barricades on the side making it VERY close for traffic and pedestrians. In the early morning there are shuttles, refrigerated food trucks, etc going down that little alleyway and it's too close for my comfort.

I don't know if Fulton would let you come and go as we did not ask, but from seeing the garage the day we left I'm going to say once you park there, you'll want to stay b/c parking is at a premium. Even though you "reserve" your parking place the only reserved spots I saw were for the HERTZ rental cars.

I'm sure you've read all of my thoughts and plans, but honestly if I was cruising Carnival, I would park in Fulton the hotel nights and either take a taxi in the morning to the Carnival terminal from the Hilton or get my car and park it in the Carnival garage. It all depends on how early you want to leave in the morning. If you want to beat the crowd, I would park in Carnival's garage. There's no way I would want to drag suitcases from the Carnival terminal back to the Fulton garage unless there was a walkway down that narrow strip of road. If you aren't really in a hurry to leave, then I probably wouldn't mind parking at Fulton and waiting on the shuttle to take us back to the garage. We are self-disembark kind of people and my son is 13 so we like to go ahead and get off of the ship and head home (or go shop:D).

As a matter of fact, we are on the Conquest in June and will be staying at the Hilton again and plan on doing Fulton the night before, getting car that morning since we are early risers and going to the Carnival garage to park.

It's early and I'm sure I've rambled and missed something so ask away if you need clarification:D

Vital1. Great review. We have prepaid for Fulton Street also. You mentioned you put the ticket into the machine. What were you supposed to do? It sounds like you wait until someone shows up??? Yeah, this was kinda screwed up. I'm guessing that someone will always be at the exit in the mornings. There were 2 people there and the girl didn't look happy that she had to come help me. Don't let it deter you though, I'd use them again:).

How is getting into the lot. I know you entered the night before but we will be getting there on Saturday for the RCI cruise. There are 2 entrances that take you to 2 different sides of the garage. One is the upper and one is the lower. When we got there the Friday afternoon there were spaces everywhere. When we left the next Saturday there were cars parked in any place they could squeeze them. I'd suggest getting there as early as possible to avoid the chaos that I'm sure ensues on embarkation day (you may need a Bloody Mary or Mimosa before leaving the garage after what I imagine goes on:D)

Anyone with arriving on sail day have any experiences or tips to share?

TIA.

I answered in maroon above:)

That I can't answer for sure, but we used the lower one and could reach the roof. I'm pretty sure the separation is to decrease traffic congestion. I could see the other side through the rails, but couldn't get there from my side. I would call just to make sure.

Archived