What to buy in Belize

Imasealuvr

What was the price of that chair? Curious going back in November. I want 4 for our deck. Absoulutely perfect!

Please if you can tell me what they asked for them.

HI energizedbunny,

The chair was over $100, that's all that I can remember. However it was less than $150 because it would cost $150 to ship via UPS to NY from FL.

Lisa

T shirts anyone?

Hi

I found some nice T-Shirts & Tanks at the Wet Lizard Store (downstairs behind the bar). Just checked the Tank and the Label actually has "Made in Belize" on it :D

I also got a few nice ones on Caye Caulker too.

We just got back from the NCL Sea last Saturday. At the tourist compound in Belize are two pharmacies. On this board someone else mentioned that the pharmacist was from the US and worked at a WalMart. I stopped at the first one and asked for a web address of the pharmacy and was given a card with a email address and phone number on it. I asked about the lady from Walmart and was told she worked in the other pharmacy in terminal 2 building. So I went there and it was obvious who she was behind the counter so I talked to her a little bit. Real friendly. I asked if she had a web address and she gave me the same 3 x 5 card with the same information. She said just email your drug needs and she will quote you a price and you can decide what you want to do. My wife bought several skin creams that are prescription in the states. The price was reasonable too. Do a search on this board for author "superflyjeff". That should bring up some more information.

I did a search like you said and came up with nothing! Could you please email me or post where to get more information on this?? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

3 THINGS!!

One Barrell Rum... the best rum you will EVER have

Belikin Bear.. some of the best beer you will ever have

Wooden Bowl,etc... These are true works of art.

We were on our honeymoon last Sep in Belize and fell in love with all 3 items. We got to go into the jungle and watch the native people make these bowls, chairs, masks, coasters, etc out of the natural woods there and after seeing what they go through, that stuff is VERY cheaply priced. That is hard work and what alot of people make thier livings off of. We got alot of these as gifts and everyone LOVED them. I am so excited to be going back in a few weeks to get my fill on all 3 of the above!!!!!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

What did you pay for all this wooden stuff? Pretty cheap?

We bought a very nice heart shaped bowl for $25 (about 12" long and 6" wide)

Very small ones (night stand change bowl) for $5-10

We bought some carved masks for $10

We bought a really neat decanter type set with 6 shot glasses (all wood) for $45

We really wanted a chair, but ran out of money at the airport for $75-100.

GREAT deals!!

What about buying cigars in Belize? Any good ones that aren't too pricey? Anyone know?

what kind of cigars? if you're talking cubans, do not buy them there. there is La Casa del habano franchise in belize city, which means any cubans you see there are fake.

while on the topic briefly, there are only TWO shops in cozumel that sell authentic cuban cigars. EVERY other "cuban" you see in Cozy is 100% fake.

while on the topic briefly, there are only TWO shops in cozumel that sell authentic cuban cigars. EVERY other "cuban" you see in Cozy is 100% fake.

What are these shops in Cozumel? I will be on the Elation and want to get Cuban's

What are these shops in Cozumel? I will be on the Elation and want to get Cuban's

when are you going to cozumel on the elation? I'm guessing it may be on the conquest now, huh?

anyway, go to the cozumel forum and see the "Honest Cigar Shop" thread. there have been MAJOR changes in the cigar biz in that city, and I'm getting the info needed to guarantee avoiding fakes. I have friends that work down there (at the old officical shop" and I'm getting a map and stuff from them.

EDIT: I meant to say in the other post I made that there is NO LCdH distributor in Belize. they buy faks cubans for about a buck a stick there and sell them for 1/2 of what reputable dealers would. that's how they make so much money off of unsuspecting tourists.

I would love to find a toucan (tucan?) carving or anything else unique to remeber my cruise next April. Do you recall if it was at pier market, or handicraft center Clackey?

Anyone else?

I found a hand carved parrot made with indigenous wood in Dominica and love it! It took him two days to carve, and a great photo of him carving another. However this cost $20, $30 for larger. So I am looking to add to my collection.

I wouldlike to know where to find carved canes, since I have to use a cane to help with walking. I can't stand the metal canes.

Also did I see some thing about Lighthouse glasses? where can they be found. If I can find them I know one Christmas present off my list;)

• 2 weeks later...
Here goes.

Cashew Wine, Grape Wine, Sorrel Wine, Rice Wine, Grapefruit Wine, Craboo Liquer, Parrot Rum, Coconut Rum, Belikin Regular Beer, Belikin Draft, Belikin Dark Beer (called STOUT) and Belikin Premium. And a whole host of other liquors.

Then I strongly advise brousing through the shops at the tourism village on shore for a fantastic array of clothing, handicraft, jewelry. There is also a wide array of shops on the outside of the tourism village.

Finally, I would say, visit the Chamber of Commerce Handicraft Centre, located about three minute's walk "around the corner" from the tourism village, where over 600 handicraft producers from Belize sell their stuff. An almighty array of stuff.......

Bring cash, traveller's cheques or credit cards AND BARGAIN LIKE THE CLAPPERS - Belizeans LOVE a good bargaining session. And you might just lose......

ONE STRONG BIT OF ADVICE> When buying, and someone answers "Oh that will cost $25 dollars" NEVER NEVER NEVER say "is that US or Belize dollars - they will automatically answer US dollars (twice the amount, as $1 US equals $2 Belize) !!!! SMART UP. Better yet, let the wife bargain. Belizeans are softies when bargaining with the ladies - they just love being polite and well mannered when being stared down by your lady.... Ah well, someone has to have some fun around here, to quote Daffy Duck.

I suggest you come ashore and take a city tour with shopping from the local fellows at the village.

Thank you for the advise. I would never leave the bargaining up to my husband, he really stinks at it!!! So, if we're told 25 Dollars, should I automatically assume I should pay $12.50?

Archived