Long Day In Aruba

I have just been looking at the itinery on the Dream and saw that we don't leave Aruba until 23.00. I was wondering if anyone has been to this island and did they go out in the evening to the bars or restaurants in the town?

What is your experience of Aruba in the evening....are the bars/shops within walking distance of the ship.

It is our first stop on a 14 night cruise and I thought it might be nice to spend an evening on shore.

Also does anyone know the sailing time from Barbados? Again I think it might be a longer than average day in this Island, so there may be opportunities to do something a little different.

All advice appreciated

Lorraine

The town centre is less than 500 metres from the ship.There are lots of classy shops and restaurants.We actually went to a open air music festival that was being held locally in some museum and mixed with the locals.It was nice to have an evening in town rather than the usual 3/4 o clock sailings on this itinerary:)

Been to Aruba for the last 3 years,as said above the ship docks right in town which has lots of shops and bars.If you want something more lively take a bus to the high rise area which if full of bars and restaurants.Just a warning about Barbados,the ship is in port on Sundays when Bridgetown is a ghost town when everything is shut.

mossleytangerine

That's a shame about Bridgetown....so any ideas on what to do this day. Last time we were there we went on a Catamaran and snorkelled with turtles.

I feel I would like to see some of the areas in Barbados with maybe a beach afternoon?

Where abouts are the best beaches, are there any towns which are lively on a Sunday?

Thanks everyone for your answers on Aruba...so if I were to get on a bus what would area where the high rises are called? Is the hotel district?

mossleytangerine

That's a shame about Bridgetown....so any ideas on what to do this day. Last time we were there we went on a Catamaran and snorkelled with turtles.

I feel I would like to see some of the areas in Barbados with maybe a beach afternoon?

Where abouts are the best beaches, are there any towns which are lively on a Sunday?

Thanks everyone for your answers on Aruba...so if I were to get on a bus what would area where the high rises are called? Is the hotel district?

Can only comment on beaches - and it's true everything is really quiet in Bridgetown on Sundays although did someone once mention on here that they had a very interesting tour of the cricket ground (the Oval?) which is very close to the port. Might be worth checking out. Sadly the distillery is close by too - but closed.

As for beaches, Carlisle Bay is close enough to walk if you wish - you can just glimpse it from the ship. A lovley beach, good for swimming, beach furniture available and some decent beach bars.

Another time we caught the local bus to Hole Town where the Sandy Bay (?) exlusive resort is where the celebs go. But you can enjoy the adjacent beach area for next to nothing! Don't think a taxi would be too expensive but I think there was a reasonable bus service although on reflection that was on a non-Sunday as there were school children on the bus we used - so perhaps the buses wouldn't be too frequent on Sunday. (That must have been a visit whren we went on Destiny when Barbados wasn't the base port on Sundays.)

I have to agree Curacao is a lovely place and yes Weecounty man my wife had to have a Curacao and lemonade on a balcony at the Maritime museum overlooking the swing bridge:)

On the first Sunday in Barbados we caught the Speightstown bus(every 30 mins or so all day) up the coast to The Lone Star Restaurant, which is on a fantastic beech with a typical ramshackle bar next door. Two beds and a parasol for 10 dollars I think and then a meal in the Lone Star.A lovely day. The last Sunday we got a cab to The Boatyard which is a bar with private beech.12 dollars entrance which includes a cocktail,music, use of all the beech facilities (great for kids) and a ride back to the ship aswell,you cant beat it.

Archived