How does Chankanaab compare to Xel-Ha?

dig21

We went to Xel-Ha while doing the Tulum/Xel-ha Tour on our last cruise. We loved snorkeling at Xel-Ha & wished we could have had more time there to do more snorkeling & the other activities that were offered. We will be stopping in Cozumel on our next cruise & as much as we would like to go back to Xel-Ha, the cruiseline does not offer an excursion that just goes to Xel-Ha without Tulum & we don't want to risk going on our own so I am wondering if Chankanaab is similar or if we would be dissapointed after Xel-Ha? The Cruise line does offer an excursion to X-Caret so that is another option.

Hey I was going to ask the same question. We were in Xel Ha last November and will be cruising to Cozumel the same time this year. My DH really loved it. We were snorkling all day and were two happy prunes. Cozumel is suppose to be a "must do" snorkling site so we really want to check it out.

My research thru these boards seems to bear out that this is a similiar experience and I would love to hear from folks who have been to both of these sites.

While the snorkeling at Chankanaab is much better than at Xel Ha, I found Xel Ha to be a wonderfully quiet, relaxing experience. Chankanaab can be crowded as it is concentrated on a smaller piece of land. My favorite, given you have enough time, is Xcaret, hands down. I've been there 3 times and could go again if there weren't so many other things to explore on the mainland.

Sigh... you'll just have to come to Cozumel for a week!

• 2 weeks later...

Xel Ha is offered as an excursion through Carnival when you book the Jeep and Cavern Combo. After your tour of the cavern and underground lake, you go to Xel Ha beach for about 1.5 hours before departing back to Coz.

:) I booked this tour for our upcoming cruise; curious how it will be.

Xel Ha is offered as an excursion through Carnival when you book the Jeep and Cavern Combo. After your tour of the cavern and underground lake, you go to Xel Ha beach for about 1.5 hours before departing back to Coz.

:) I booked this tour for our upcoming cruise; curious how it will be.

Well, not exactly. The beach you go to is at Xpu Ha with the Caverns tour (either the Jeep and Cavern or the Caverns and Beach tours). Similiar name but the two places are way different. Xpu Ha is a gorgous cresent moon shaped beach area with decent snorkeling. The food at the restaurant is great too. Xel Ha does not have a beach area...

Archived