Alaska Inside Passage: How much time did you spend on your verandah?

luv2sleep

I would like to go on an Alaska cruise. I keep hearing that a verandah is a must but, quite honestly, a verandah costs more than I want to pay. I'd rather have an inside due to that. However, I feel that a verandah would be better for my son because I choose to not leave him in the kids clubs all day (2 hours at a time tops), and a verandah would mean I could see at least some scenery when he won't want to hang out on the open decks with me. We could sit out there together, he could come out and ho back in as he pleased alternating playing with watching a movie, reading books or just hanging with me. He'd last maybe 20-30 minutes on the open decks with me so I'd miss a lot. So I'm trying to figure out if a verandah is a must. If I was on an adult only vacation is totally skip it because I know I'd want to be out and about seeing everything. Is a verandah a must for people with young children for these reasons? Or could I get away with an inside? Thanks for the advice in advance. :).

For me it is a must. But dd still naps and goes to bed at 8pm.

You can hang out on the verandah during nap time and after bedtime. Plus, as you said, ds gets the freedom to run around.

Room service, a glass of something, a good book/music....

We used our balcony, a lot, before dd. We've had one twice. The first it was kinda hot in the day to really enjoy it, but I loved breakfast on the balcony in my pj's and the fresh air at night. (DH has this idea I shouldn't walk around the ship in pj's.)

The second, I was out there any chance I got with a book. We took formal pictures with the sun setting behind us. I watched the ship drive into port/leave port. Watched people getting on/off the ship.

Also, I'm NOT a people person. I hate being around people. I'd rather be on my balcony with a book than on the main decks with people.

We have a verandah or our upcoming disney cruise, first with dd. I will want dd away from all the action for a part of the day to chill out/quiet play. Plus, nap time and after bedtime.

Now, my sil had an inside room with her two kids, 3 and 5, no issues. I don't think they napped and the older one liked the club. They spend part of the night in our room, while the adults when a show (it was dancing). Dh and I watched cartoons, the girls joined.

I know many people say the cabin doesn't matter, you won't be in it. But that's not true for me/us. There really isn't much for me to enjoy on the ship, other than dinner and sometimes a show. BUT I do enjoy a book and a quiet spot. So for me, the room DOES matter. I'm not just sleeping/showering there.

Depending on the time of year and how lucky you get with the weather, it may (or may not) be too cold and wet to enjoy the balcony much. Alaska is also very port intensive, so there may be days when you are off the ship most of the day.

My first cruise was to Alaska with small children (2, 5 and 8 at the time, but now teenagers!) and we had a balcony only because someone else was paying for it. Honestly, I don't remember being out there much. It was pretty rainy the week we went. We did go out at times, but we didn't sit there for hours. I will admit that my kids LOVED the kids club and spent a lot of time there with their cousins who were on the trip with us.

These days I just get an inside cabin and spend a lot of time on deck and I'm perfectly happy!

I struggled with this issue for our Alaska cruise next June. We usually book an inside or lowest-fare window cabin, but I ended up biting the bullet and got a balcony for Alaska for the exact reasons you mention. We have two days of "scenic cruising" and I didn't want my kids to be struggling for a view on deck and getting cold, tired and whiny. I figured with a balcony we can order hot chocolate and snacks and not be crowded with other passengers, plus they'll be able to play in the cabin throughout the viewing. I still go back and forth considering getting an inside and then scoping out a window seat in one of the lounges. We're on a one-way cruise though, and got a balcony for the side of the ship that will be facing shore throughout the route, so we'll probably stick with it.

The consensus on the Alaska boards here is to not get a balcony if spending the money there will take away from shore excursions - but those people don't have to figure whining kids into the equation. Also, from what I understand, the ship will turn so passengers on both sides get to see - so you want to be able to move from one side to the other. But for us, since a big part of the Alaska cruise is about scenery, I like the idea of being able to see it sitting in the comfort of our own balcony instead of going on deck to stand at the rail.

Best,

Mia

We've done a few AK cruises (alone, when DD was young, and when DD was in her early teens). All but one with a balcony.

We love being able to sit out -- there is so much more scenery on an inside passage cruise (and thus so much more to see from your balcony).

We typcially stick with a mid level deck. For me, I think the perspective for much of the views is also better from your balcony -- the public decks are so much higher up and thus you are often looking "down" at stuff.

I agree about the balcony... go for it if you can. We had one on our first trip to AK when our kids were 3 and 4- the 4 year old might have been OK otherwise, but the 3 year old didn't enjoy the kids club yet, and really just wanted to watch his videos and play trains. He could do that in the room, we could watch all the scenery, and everyone was happy. We went the last week of August/first week of Sept. and even though it wasn't staying light outside late, we still got our $ worth!

Another thought though- if you are going early in the season (May June), remember about it staying light out very late- I've heard people complain that the light that gets through those curtains can make it tough for little ones to sleep, and therefore they prefer an inside.

Enjoy your cruise- I LOVED cruising to AK and hope to do it again soon!

Archived